Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
After all my rants, I have one (a kind gift from my wife).
It is not so bad.
After one full day of confusion (everything was in the *wrong* place for somebody used to the previous communicators) I am figuring out how to make it do what I need. The accompanying software needs robust adaptations, though, particularly the browser. But, alas, it *is* a communicator.
With my n800 makes a nice couple. I'd like them to marry and have a child - a clamshell, linux-based, gps, stylus and keyboard enabled, new communicator... maybe the G900 (G for geeks, like N for entertainment and E for business).
Ahhh... You want a faster Psion Series 5mx with the N800's colour screen, GSM and WiFi?

Well... SO DO I!!!!!!!

Dammit.

(minor correction: For what I use my N800 mostly for -- movies, music and books -- a 5mx-like clamshell would actually suck more. But that 5mx keyboard is just so yummy...)

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Ahhh... You want a faster Psion Series 5mx with the N800's colour screen, GSM and WiFi?
Well... SO DO I!!!!!!!
Dammit.
Yes, yes, Karel, don't we all, just cool down now :-)
(minor correction: For what I use my N800 mostly for -- movies, music and books -- a 5mx-like clamshell would actually suck more. But that 5mx keyboard is just so yummy...)
Indeed, so how about my favourite/original/patent-pending idea^Wpet peeve : the keyboard part of a 5mx, turned into an autonomous BT keyboard, with a hollow clamshell cover that will act as a stand for a tablet ?... Best of both worlds, an' all that.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Indeed, so how about my favourite/original/patent-pending idea^Wpet peeve : the keyboard part of a 5mx, turned into an autonomous BT keyboard, with a hollow clamshell cover that will act as a stand for a tablet ?... Best of both worlds, an' all that.
It would be one of the lesser-sucky keyboard addon ideas. Still, allthough I liked my 5mx almost as much as my Newton (and in some aspects, such as the very clever screen zoom implementation[*] and the printer drivers, even more), I'm adamant in that Newton-like HWR for the N-IT would be much more useful and productive.

You see, if I have to lug around an extra piece of kit anyway, I'd prefer it to be a keyboard as near to fullsize as possible, and even the 5mx's keyboard was just that little tad too small to be completely comfortable.
____
[*] For those who never experienced Psion, all Psion clamshell handhelds had a zoom function. "Yes, oh Stupid One," I can hear you mock, "So do the Nokia Internet Tablets. Duh!"

Ah, but you see, Psion's zoom had a fit-to-screen option that was implemented in every application on the handheld. Also, the Psions would use different fonts for different zoomlevels, not "Times" and "Helvetica", but fonts with slightly different metrics, adapted to the bigger size, for your viewing pleasure. It made a difference, trust me.

No? Well, I guess you had to be there...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Yes, yes, Karel, don't we all
Yes, yes we do :-/

The Asus Eee PC looks comparable to a Netbook/Series 7, but we're still nowhere near the level of coolness of a colour, high-resolution, high-powered, Linux-running, wifi, BT 5mx :-(

And, just to rub the salt in some more : with the terrible (but well integrated, UI-wise) embbeded BASIC dialect replaced by a similarly integrated Python package, as on the tablets...

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
I am alittle off the topic but can someone tell me if there's a difference between the dark e90 and the red other than the color? The reason i ask is because i seen on some site's the price for the red is less than the dark one?

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Yes, yes we do :-/

The Asus Eee PC looks comparable to a Netbook/Series 7, but we're still nowhere near the level of coolness of a colour, high-resolution, high-powered, Linux-running, wifi, BT 5mx :-(
Linux isn't all that difficult to get running on the 5mx; its screen res is 640x240, so that's not half bad either; colour is out, obviously, and the screen quality of the 5mx is abysmal (you need really good light to see anything at all); there's no WiFi, but Bluetooth might be possible (http://www.roalan.com/Bluetooth%20Wi...0Converter.htm) cludgy, but possible; and as to high power, well the 5mx runs for weeks on 2 AAs and its native programs are optimized enough to let you forget it has only a 33 MHz engine trundling along.

Still, I don't think it can do even a fraction of what the N800 can, multimedia-wise and the 5mx's internet experience would probably be colonoscopically painful.

I'm so definitely buying an Eee when it comes out! It's cute...

And, just to rub the salt in some more : with the terrible (but well integrated, UI-wise) embbeded BASIC dialect replaced by a similarly integrated Python package, as on the tablets...
Are you referring to OPL?

Originally Posted by Sadavyk View Post
I am alittle off the topic but can someone tell me if there's a difference between the dark e90 and the red other than the color? The reason i ask is because i seen on some site's the price for the red is less than the dark one?
The dark one reflects your PDA future; the red one is red because it is from Satan!!!!!

http://www.hot-stuff-costumes.com/ha...s/evillaff.wav

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Linux isn't all that difficult to get running on the 5mx
Indeed, I used to demo it at the Linux SIG at one of my previous employers; unfortunately there isn't a good GUI solution.

I think it'd also be the worst of all worlds, the things the N800 can do well:

* Access the Internet, including IM and web browsing (let's not mention email & RSS here ;-))
* Play video and multimedia
* Quick, colourful games

The things an EPOC-running 5mx can do well:

* PIM (specifically Contacts, Agenda and Jotter)
* Data entry
* Office applications (although compatibility is a bit tricky even nConvert)
* Java (reasonably well, anyway)

The things a Linux-running 5mx can do well:

* bash
* vi

Bring on the Eeeeeee :-)