Active Topics

I wish i could do custom names for all my Accounts. I have 12 to do calendar syncing, a few email accounts, chat, FB, and etc. It is getting confusing.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by sixracer View Post
I wish i could do custom names for all my Accounts. I have 12 to do calendar syncing, a few email accounts, chat, FB, and etc. It is getting confusing.
So do a feature-request via the bug-tracker
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/
IIRC there is a way to do that...

Make sure you spell-out your request clearly, and make your argument compelling.
If you can convince enough people to vote, it may be included in PR1.2 or beyond.

And there's a thread dedicated to discussing the bug-tracker here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80075

L800 Vs N9.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=saDc_sPt4SY
Not sure how he gets to his "tie" conclusion, but overall he's pretty neutral.

The overall winner is clear IMO, tis the N9+Maemo6x
900/901 + Tango may be a different story though.
Even if the N9 gets PR1.2 around the same time.

Certainly Nokia's true WP's out around Sept or Q4 + Apollo will surpass the N9.
The hw will be far too compelling, and the combo of MS "&" Nokia working on the OS.
Plus the fact that Nokia may have slowed resources toward Maemo (even more) since Q2.
Will mean there's no chance it can maintain an edge.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-03 at 18:54.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
NOKIA already has a second rate team work on Harmattan....its only going to get worse

^ A team w/more limited resources at their disposal than would otherwise have been, yes.

GSM arena also agrees the N9 is better 'overall'
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_800-review-686.php

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-03 at 18:55.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Certainly Nokia's true WP's out around Sept or Q4 + Apollo will surpass the N9.
The hw will be far too compelling, and the combo of MS "&" Nokia working on the OS.
Plus the fact that Nokia may have slowed resources toward Maemo (even more) since Q2.
Will mean there's no chance it can maintain an edge.
How do you know this? Can you look into the future?

WP7 phones are crippled by the OS. The only way Apollo can surpass the N9 is to forsake the opaque file system, get rid of Zune dependency, put in USB mass storage mode, add support for micro-SD card and allow bluetooth file transfer. It should also add true multitasking and get rid of the 5 (fake) multitasking apps limit. Don't forget to allow developers more access to the OS to create more meaningful apps. Come to think of it better add in wi-fi hotspot and internet tethering too which all self-respecting mobile OS already have.

Do you think Microsoft will do all these? They strike at the core of Microsoft's design philosophy - ape Apple, dumb down the system and maintain tight control over users with Zune. But if MS doesn't overturn their design philosophy WP7 will still be the crippled, fenced up, closed OS which keeps users at arms length like ios. And it will continue to be rejected by most users and command only a few percent market share. As for why Apple can and MS can't, don't ask. Just accept that some can and some can't. Buying an iphone is mostly an emotional decision for Apple fans.

Too many people have predicted WP7's success on the basis of two giants collaborating together. If size is important WP7 should be highly successful now instead of the miserly 1.5% global share it commands now. Isn't Microsoft big enough? Others say Lumia must succeed because of Nokia's massive promotion. Is that so? Analysts are scrambling to cut down Lumia projected sales this Q4 from 2,000,000 to 1,000,000 and now 500,000. Even the last figure is looking shaky.

I dunno, I'm sure many of those things you cite are on the road-map.
(IIRC WiFi tethering's already in Mango, it's just not there for older handsets, or thanks to carrier restrictions)
Plus the sheer hype alone is scary...
The masses don't care about the feature counts.
Unfortunately it's that lame term, "ecosystem".
Serve them up all the online goodies and then just make it all work.
They won't care (or even know) that they can't do a multitude of more obscure things.
That can come later (if needs be) by forking out more $ for apps/services.
I just hope we hear more about Meltemi + Qt5 + SwipeUX* soon.
The silence is deafening.....

*please dear god open it up more

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-04 at 19:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Was in a phone store over the weekend and saw someone staring at the Lumia. I heard them ask their friend if they should buy the Nokia or go for the Galaxy S2. I couldnt help but interrupt and tell them to get the Galaxy.

I felt a little dirty afterwards but quickly recovered as I reminded myself i'm not Nokia's bit*ch. I just couldnt see a clueless customer jump on the Wp7 wagon especially after I heard a Nokia sales representative tell him the Lumia will meet all his 'needs'. E.g.

- 16Gb storage? dont worry. You can use SkyDrive and store all your data in the cloud.
- Flash? HTML5 is the future anyway. Few years away.

Pissed me off as I just cant believe Nokia/MS is using the cloud argument to sell devices with only 16GB storage. I asked about data caps and I was told to "take it up with your network provider". He went on to tell me that no one hits the 1GB data usage mark anyway.

Last edited by afaq; 2011-12-05 at 10:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Also had my first "Is that a Lumia phone!!!" from a stranger. I told them it was the N9 and that ended the conversation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
depression, winding down