Active Topics

I did not know him or read much hereconfs from him as I only came to
Maemo quite late.
After reading here and for all the people who knew him better a bit of change to
the Bill Wilson quotation:
"To the world you may be one person, but to some people you may be a complete new world."

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Saw the news on twitter late last night and couldnt quite believe it... As many of you here I had never met him but always appreciated his amazing contributions to the Maemo/Meego community and his posts on twitter. I'm so shocked - really feel for his family and friends at such a terrible time, my prayers are with you all. RIP Gary.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ikirk For This Useful Post:
i didnt know him but i heard about him

quite sad, i hope he rest well.

what interesting he was just tweeting a few days ago.
was he sick?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Terribly sad news.

I remember meeting Gary first time in the first Maemo Summit in Berlin. Jussi Mäkinen was talking with him and asked me to come over. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out that here's an absoultely brilliant dude doing something extremely cool. His Liqbase experiments were unlike anything else I'd seen done for Maemo previously - exploring things like spatial UI's, multiple users co-creating and sharing content on the fly etc.

When talking about open devices for people to enable and enhance their creativity, Gary is a person that always comes to my mind. Perhaps the rest of the world will still one day catch up.

Rest in peace, and all the best to his family under this difficult time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
I saw his tweets about great days too.
RIP Gary, sorry i didn't know You very good

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
I also hope there is some way we can help Tracy and their children, and that there will be some way we can let them know how much the community loved and will miss him...
^ This. I don't know Tracy (and didn't really know Gary, but greatly admired his work), but I understand that she's just had a new baby. As my wife has just had our first baby, this feels extremely poignant to me. How can we help?

Hopefully at the very least someone who knows her (Kathy?) can, after a few days, direct her to the kind words said on this thread, and the similar ones on forum.meego.com and the mailing lists.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
Really sad. I had some beers with him at the Amsterdam maemo summit, he had very nice ideas and was fun to talk with. Can't say I knew him well, but still somehow it feels like loosing a friend. Rest in peace.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onion For This Useful Post:
As some of you, I never chatted or talked to him, but did feel his presence here. It was a really sad news on twitter today. May he rest in peace and best wishes for his family. Extremely sad to know that he died while they just had a newly born in their house

Please do share the reason of his death here if someone knows. He was so young and talented. His last tweet is of 12th sep, pretty shocking indeed. Life is so unpredictable!!

Lots of love for his family, may they get the best in life. So sorry to hear all this.

Love.

And please take care all!!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abubakar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
A great man and a very very sad day for Maemo. He was a constant presence here and will truly be missed.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Sad news. A great personality with a rare combination of brilliance and humility.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penyeach For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect