Notices

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
Yes! I can confirm the popping noises are gone for me now as well, after doing that. So now I would consider Pandora very usable on my N800. Excellent! (Right now it keeps pausing, but I think/hope that's due to the wireless network I'm on, which has often been rather slow in the past.)
Thanks for the fix for that.

About the GUI, I was looking at the other thread about PyPianobar, and I saw the part about the library for it being as large as 44 MB. That might be okay for N900 users, but I checked the free internal memory on my device just now and I only have about 45 MB left total (!). That being the case, I don't think I could sacrifice that much memory for the GUI. (Correct me if I'm reading something wrong here.) I also saw there's another GUI in progress, qtPianobar, but it looks like that one needs some other libraries that wouldn't work with OS2008. So...I guess for now I'll just stick with the command line.

One question about the command-line version....is there a way to get it to store login information? I found the config file in the pianobar directory and edited it, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I'm guessing the application doesn't really use that file (?).

Originally Posted by caimanjosh View Post
Yes! I can confirm the popping noises are gone for me now as well, after doing that. So now I would consider Pandora very usable on my N800. Excellent! (Right now it keeps pausing, but I think/hope that's due to the wireless network I'm on, which has often been rather slow in the past.)
Thanks for the fix for that.

About the GUI, I was looking at the other thread about PyPianobar, and I saw the part about the library for it being as large as 44 MB. That might be okay for N900 users, but I checked the free internal memory on my device just now and I only have about 45 MB left total (!). That being the case, I don't think I could sacrifice that much memory for the GUI. (Correct me if I'm reading something wrong here.) I also saw there's another GUI in progress, qtPianobar, but it looks like that one needs some other libraries that wouldn't work with OS2008. So...I guess for now I'll just stick with the command line.

One question about the command-line version....is there a way to get it to store login information? I found the config file in the pianobar directory and edited it, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I'm guessing the application doesn't really use that file (?).
Yeah qtPianobar needs the Qt4.6 libs which I am unsure if they have been compiled for Diablo. You might want to check the repos.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

About the GUI, I was looking at the other thread about PyPianobar, and I saw the part about the library for it being as large as 44 MB. That might be okay for N900 users, but I checked the free internal memory on my device just now and I only have about 45 MB left total (!).
This is actually incorrect now. I don't have the exact amounts that it takes anymore.. but I used to depend on the entire python2.5-qt4 binding package... which was a massive load of useless modules that I didn't need or use.

Now it specifically depends on python2.5-qt4-gui for the version in the Repo.. and the next one will include 2 more... So it won't be 44MB anymore (or at least it shouldn't be.)

I have it on my N810 and don't have a problem.

The next version of pyPianobar ... I just dunno what to do with. It includes an album cover loader but while it's grabbing that data on an N810.. it stutters the pianobar music . I am trying to work on that.. but I think it's just a problem with the N810 processor handling threads.

ETA:

It will use the file:
/home/user/.config/pianobar/config

You need to uncomment (remove the #) username and password fields and fill them out appropriately.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yeah qtPianobar needs the Qt4.6 libs which I am unsure if they have been compiled for Diablo. You might want to check the repos.
I tried using just the pianobar port I made for the N900 and got "Invalid Instruction". I would think you would also need to compile qtPianobar to work on the N810, not just the QT libs (which I'm sure have to be there since PyQt4 is there), due to differences in the OMAP2(?) -> OMAP3.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
T

It will use the file:
/home/user/.config/pianobar/config

You need to uncomment (remove the #) username and password fields and fill them out appropriately.
Oops...I somehow didn't notice everything was commented out. Silly me. Removed the comments and now it logs in automatically. Thanks.

As for the new version, that's a shame. Having cover art download automatically would be cool, but I'd say having the music play smoothly is more important. I don't know if it will be an either/or choice like that, but if so, that's my 2 cents.

As for the new version, that's a shame. Having cover art download automatically would be cool, but I'd say having the music play smoothly is more important. I don't know if it will be an either/or choice like that, but if so, that's my 2 cents.
I've changed it back to using slothradio covers instead of amazon..only 1 page vs 3... much faster. I still get stuttery music I noticed even without it downloading albums.. so part of that could have been the internet connection I am using (wifi tether to t-mobile G1).

If everything works well on my Home Wifi I'll figure it should be OK.. since I think normal wifi is probably the most common connection method for an N8x0?

ETA: If it doesn't work out well for the N8x0 users I can make a version just for you guys without the album loader functionality.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-02-03 at 21:29.

Yes, wifi is by far the most common connection method. A few people connect via their cell phones using bluetooth, but probably not that many.

The next version of pyPianobar ... I just dunno what to do with. It includes an album cover loader but while it's grabbing that data on an N810.. it stutters the pianobar music . I am trying to work on that.. but I think it's just a problem with the N810 processor handling threads.
pianobar seems to stutter when doing certain things, like moving around home applets as well

Changing the default driver to esd works great, it even seems to get rid of pianobar dieing (until reboot) if exited improperly.

New version of pyPianobar is out. Give it a try if you would like.. it runs decently on my N810. I do experience a very <1 sec stutter at the start of the song when it paints the album art but it has not bothered me in my listening to it.

Alright, I might give it a shot. Is the link that was in this thread from a few days ago the most recent version for Diablo users?