Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
Well sorry to say but i think they wait for Nokia if they bring Maemo6 as there big new Mobile OS also for the N900. Why should they bring effort into development for Maemo5 maybe M5 is over in a few months. To be real nobody knows what will happen but i guess they will take this way and just wait.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
If you select 'paid' you'll see exactly none (there were some but they didn't actually work!). Ovi store for n900 is still technically beta. Because technically they haven't worked out how to manage a payment system when people can just come in the back door. So any paid, professional apps are on hold till the Ovi people work out a problem they didn't bargain on.

Case of the right hand not having a clue what the repercussions would be of what the left hand was doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Because technically they haven't worked out how to manage a payment system when people can just come in the back door.
Yep...I remember that at the beginning it was possible to buy Angry Birds extension. Now it's not there anymore. So, probably all commercial applications are not there yet because of this bug. As soon as they fix, we should be able to see new commercial applications.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Dude calm......

Its early days yet..

the App Store didn't have 100'000 pieces of crappy programs on day 1...

The N900 ain't really being pushed yet, I've had mine a month and CPW are only just starting to advertise it in store, from the materials I've seen it looks like its going to be a real big push for the N900 at CPW, massive adverts and nice cardboard cut-out stands etc, in my opinion it looks like the N900 is getting more advertisement real estate in our store than any other phone we've done including the iPhone..

Anyway, I'm more interested in the community side of things, one of the main reasons the iPhone was an instant success was the fact that it was jailbroken very early on, the N900 needs no such hack to get the same functionality - all the N900 needs in terms of Apps etc is constant clean user interfaces

i.e. modding our N900's in terms of theming is quite annoying as you need to use the xTerminal to replace certain images and system files to get the desired look, jailbroken iPhones have the Summerboard and Winterboard programs to manage all system wide graphical changes, its elements like this that will define whether the N900 is embraced on a large scale..

Ease of use, always outwits, xTerminal usage

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It's early days yet - android was like this when the first phone was released - I nearly bought one!

The applications will appear eventually it will take time.

It really depends on what Nokia has planned for the maemo platform in general.

(1) How well will Nokia support the n900 (maemo 5)? Some existing bugs will only be fixed in maemo 6 (this version will only be released on the next device).

(2) When do Nokia plan to release the next maemo device? If it within the next few months then commercial developers may wait until maemo6 is released. If we are talking near then end of the year or early next year then commercial developers may release paid apps for the n900.

(3) Maemo 5 & 6 will exist in the market. If both versions are compatible then everything is fine. If there will be incompatibilities then 2 versions may have to be released and both will need testing - "pain in the bum" and potentially expensive for a developer.

Ideally Nokia should have some kind of roadmap of where maemo is going. At least give developers an informed decision on how to approach the market.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
There's currently also no easy process for developers to upload applications (even free ones) to the Ovi store for N900 - the current upload process is entirely Symbian focussed.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Then you have some emulators and community-made games especially for Maemo. Also, don't forget Offscreen's ports of some nice Symbian games.
Are the offscreen guys alive at all ? Many of their packages have packaging errors (stuff that would never pass Extas QA !), and I sent them mails explaining the errors, but I did not get as much as a 'get lost' much less the packages actually corrected...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Are the offscreen guys alive at all ? Many of their packages have packaging errors (stuff that would never pass Extas QA !), and I sent them mails explaining the errors, but I did not get as much as a 'get lost' much less the packages actually corrected...
I found that as well with regard to OVI store apps... WikiHow throws just about everything into root and it doesn't uninstall completely.

Who is minding the store over there? This kind of thing would never had gotten out of maemo.org development for use by the general public.

SLN member # 009

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Worth you & YoDude starting a wiki page so that everyone can be aware of these problems?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@Flandry: Well, presumably it will be Open Source, so....

FORK IT!

...just to be ironic.

...no, seriously.

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software