Active Topics

Tanks will start it up trough my N900.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Verona, Italy
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Modified hildon desktop (version 1.05) supports up to 9 desktop views. To add a view, use the commands (for example):
Code:
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/5/bg-image -t string "/path/to/background.jpg"
gconftool -s  /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5]
Still arranged in a cycle.

To install, see my signature.
Amazing!!!!! 6 desktop for me is perfect!! Thanks very much for you work!!

There's some trouble about using modified hildon desktop?

Regards

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Of course you can add more desktops its open source for crying out loud you can do what ever you want.

But could i say that the N900 is NOT an iPhone its much much more and rather than copying the ideas of iPhone and continuously comparing it to the iPhone that people should come up with more constructive ideas on how to improve it and make this great peace of engineering with a fantastic open source Linux OS do a lot more that iPhone could only dream of...

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Verona, Italy
I'm agree, but i think that have more desktops does not mean be like iPhone... it's totaly different: more desktops because there are a lot of widget, so...

In iPhone is not possible put what you want on desktop... :-)

is it possible to revert it back to default 4 desktop?

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by emorej View Post
is it possible to revert it back to default 4 desktop?
uninstall the modded desktop or make:
Code:
gconftool -s  /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4]

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by dexteruk View Post
Of course you can add more desktops its open source for crying out loud you can do what ever you want.

But could i say that the N900 is NOT an iPhone its much much more and rather than copying the ideas of iPhone and continuously comparing it to the iPhone that people should come up with more constructive ideas on how to improve it and make this great peace of engineering with a fantastic open source Linux OS do a lot more that iPhone could only dream of...
I had no idea that iPhones have multiple desktops; you are assuming that the idea of having more desktops is lust for emulating iPhones! Having lots of desktops is fun, and so is having lots of backgrounds is even funner. How do you know about what iPhone is doing? Why do you care?

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I had no idea that iPhones have multiple desktops; you are assuming that the idea of having more desktops is lust for emulating iPhones! Having lots of desktops is fun, and so is having lots of backgrounds is even funner. How do you know about what iPhone is doing? Why do you care?

heard the saying
" To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy"

or

"to beat your enemy you have to know your enemy"

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
heard the saying
" To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy"

or

"to beat your enemy you have to know your enemy"

Touche, I guess, but I think that the N900 has enough of a dynamic going that constantly saying that it should or shouldn't emulate the iPhone has become passe. The N900 is like the N900 and should emulate the N900. I think you actually agree with that.

BTW, wasn't it Pogo that said something like, "we have become the enemy and he is us"? If not, he should have.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If you install an upgrade that includes a new hildon-desktop package (as PR1.2 will), it will overwrite the binary installed by my package, and you won't be able to use all enhancements, including more than 4 desktops.
Maybe you could add a section in your repository so that we can tell what OS version your current Modified Hildon-Desktop is based on?

Thanks for a great mod!

Tags
add desktops, additional desktops, desktop, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more than four desktops, panoramic desktop