Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by slick204 View Post
It's me again. I can't seem to get the tarball to extract. I tried the built-in tar but got the invalid option --j error like I expected.

I tried using tar from from the debian image, but it didn't work either. Is this the correct usage:

/home/user/img-install/tar xjvf /media/mmc1/debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2

I installed bzip2 per Maxoueb then tried again but it still didn't like the j option.

I tried to bunzip2 the tarball but after 15 minutes of random letters, numbers and symbols flying by on the screen, it mercifully crashed.

I suppose I could copy the image like others are doing, but I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong.
Ok, well, you can try this:

(you have to be in the directory that you want to untar into)

Code:
/home/user/img-install/tar --use-compress-program  /home/user/img-install/bzip2 -xvf /media/mmc1/debian-chroot-apps-040608.tar.bz2

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I have heard that if you format a card 100% ect2/3, Maemo will complain at startup; what you want to do is create a "token" fat partition as the first partition on the card (any size will do) just to shut Maemo up.
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Strange. Maybe nobody has played with this in Diablo? Maybe there are problems when the card has more than one partition?
It's even reading the ext3 disk from Maemo's built in file manager.
I'll let you know if anything weird happens.
Yes, an entirely ext2/3 formatted card will work in Maemo. The fat32 token partition is better, however, because you really don't want Maemo auto-mounting your ext2 partition as /media/mmc2; having a small fat32 partition gives Maemo something to mount and lets you have an ext2 partition to mount as you like it.

qole: Thanks for the reply.

I tried it but I'm getting endless Cannot open: no such file or directory.

I suppose I should have been root to run this?

slick204: Yes, for this you need to be root. Also, perhaps you don't have the img-install directory from the Easy Debian package? Does this command return anything?

Code:
ls /home/user/img-install/

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Success! I had been trying as root before but must have forgotten the last time. Thanks for putting up with my newbieness.

Of course no good dead goes unpunished. In my haste I forgot to cd to my debian partition and started to extract to /home/user. It quickly ran out of space so I stopped it. Is there any easy way to figure out what I can and can't delete?

The debian apps do seem to run quite a bit faster now. I installed a few apps when running from the image and they seem to be in my /home/user directory. Is there a way to use them now or do I need to reinstall them?

Thanks again!

Should we do step 4 as root?

4 --------

Copy the whole content of /debian to your freshly formatted partition.
In the present case:

Code:
cd /debian
/home/user/img-install/tar cf - . | (cd /media/mmc1/; tar xvf -)

Hi all!
Do you guys change the repositories list? (like stable / testing instead of lenny / sid)
I'm asking this because every time (even right after having extracted Qole's tarball) I sudo apt-get upgrade, it ends up with errors (unmet dependencies, E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1), etc, etc.)

Is there anything to do after having set up everything? (chmod something?)

Thank!s

Make sure you sudo apt-get update before you sudo apt-get upgrade. And if you're getting the dpkg error code, I bet you a buck it's choking on hal or dbus, and I've given the hack for hal and you can safely uninstall dbus (apt-get remove dbus).

Thanks!
I'll try that! Now, I need to find again your post about HAL, I remember reading it, but not sure where.

D'ohboy: You need to be root. As for that command line, I can't comment, since it seems odd that you're using /media/mmc1 as your Debian partition...

Here ya go Max:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I had to hack hal to get it to install (put "exit 0" as the first line of /var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.preinst and /var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.postinst then run "apt-get -f install" to finish getting everything installed)...

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian