Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
BTW, about the picture in your post, where you cansee the pins on the backside, is that a real device or an illustration?
It's a mockup I put together in Photoshop, taken from how the Galaxy Nexus does it.

(It's also incredibly hacker-friendly, only requiring someone cut and strip a USB cable and some electrical tape)

I guess a second row of 5 pins that go straight to the charging hardware would work too, allowing OH functions to continue working while charging on a dock/wirelessly, and at the same time double the device's expansion ports.

Now only if Jolla would add some PHYs for us

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
A multimedia streamer? I'm fed up of that brick hanging in my neck that connects my N9 to my hearing aids, there has to be a more compact version of it. The OH would be the ideal solution.

So, phonak, oticom and siemens, please start manufacturing OH streamers for your hearing aids! Someone to twitter that idea mainstream for me please.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
I would crave my name on a back-cover.. But other than that, I would definitely use a hardware keyboard.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
Yes. Like I said in post #42 , it must support USB 3.

This opens up many possibilities and the vendors does not have to do a lot to come up with solutions. Vendor can design docking station OH with a USB hub and a bunch of ports to support what ever devices.

The interface must be clean and unique. I am not sure if they should go with standard USB interface. Apple always wins with a non-standard interface. I hate that but this is a special situation and the cover has to hold on to the body without making it too bulky. So there maybe a reason for a custom interface that makes it clean, unique and cool.
Again show me a mobile SoC with USB3 that is EXISTING today? People you are to damn unrealistic about the HW.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
mobile SoC with USB3 that is EXISTING today?
Here.

Note: The Exynos 5 (see: SGS4 International) supports USB 3.0 speeds, however, it is omitted from the phones because the MLC/TLC eMMC chips can't even try to get close to that.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Here.

Note: The Exynos 5 (see: SGS4 International) supports USB 3.0 speeds, however, it is omitted from the phones because the MLC/TLC eMMC chips can't even try to get close to that.
And what do you think the price is for so new SoC in small volumes? :O

I Say again its to unrealistic beleive Jolla will have so new SoC also Jolla has stated its a midrange device.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I Say again its to unrealistic beleive Jolla will have so new SoC also Jolla has stated its a midrange device.
Its to early to say, I think we can actually see a low end device if they wait to end of 2013. What is mid end today is low end in 6 month.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I haven't seen any negative implications this modular approach can have, so let's bring some up.

What about the camera? If I have a HW keyboard as the OH, how I'm I supposed to take pictures with the internal camera? If the camera was on the other side, than is shown on the prototype, it might be possible to take pictures with the keyboard open, but this way?

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-05-25 at 15:19.

$25 for a single chip, tops.
A single Exynos 5 ARM PC is $250, including lots of daughterboards and connectivity components.

As it is right now, it seems that Jolla will be using some derivation of the ST-Ericsson NovaThor SoCs for the Jolla.

If they're using those chips, I highly doubt they'd be able to complete another platform in ~6 months - what they have now is likely being refined to make a solid phone.

Which leaves the question: Will Jolla make a phone purely for the masturbation of the enthusiast users, or will they take advantage of the (yet to be detailed) Other Half?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
$25 for a single chip, tops.
A single Exynos 5 ARM PC is $250, including lots of daughterboards and connectivity components.

As it is right now, it seems that Jolla will be using some derivation of the ST-Ericsson NovaThor SoCs for the Jolla.

If they're using those chips, I highly doubt they'd be able to complete another platform in ~6 months - what they have now is likely being refined to make a solid phone.

Which leaves the question: Will Jolla make a phone purely for the masturbation of the enthusiast users, or will they take advantage of the (yet to be detailed) Other Half?
LOL 25$ for low volumes no damn way. I beleive it when i see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo