Notices

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
Who cares about Ovi Maps if this works? Let Nokia worry about core OS issues and let a nav company worry about the mapping software.
Good point but ovi maps are free but im always willing to pay for a good product/software!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hotshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Who's in charge of pricing these things? $80/€80 = stupid money... They can't just think "a stand along GPS equivalent costs €100 so we can get away with €80" - who's gonna buy this? You're better off with a bottom end TomTom for the same money.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
You're better off with a bottom end TomTom for the same money.
if you're fine with having 2 devices and having to manage 2 sets of adress lists, sure.

i for one am happy to pay 80€ for a good navigation solution for my all-in-one mobile device

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
if you're fine with having 2 devices and having to manage 2 sets of adress lists, sure.

i for one am happy to pay 80€ for a good navigation solution for my all-in-one mobile device
So am I. Just need a Brodit thing to mount it on my dashboard.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Who's in charge of pricing these things? $80/€80 = stupid money... They can't just think "a stand along GPS equivalent costs €100 so we can get away with €80" - who's gonna buy this? You're better off with a bottom end TomTom for the same money.
i think the most basic tomtom is about 130 euro.. But then you only get for my country the "benelux" maps.

Nokia/Ovi maps are pretty well valued if you ask me. I think they are about the same as Sygic but sygic is a bit different then ovi:

http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/fa...-included.html

thats not so nice... Look ovi maps you can get a 1 year (i could buy a 3 year for 100 i believe but thats gone) but then you have constantly the latest software and maps..

But sygic seems to be a bit different, they do tell you that the 2009 software will be update able but not the maps..
But i dont know how they work, must i download all the maps at once and have them installed? Or can i just say i want now the USA because i am on vacation for 2 weeks (coming from Europa)

Do remember that maps are not cheap.. They have to be constantly updated and new features are constantly added, Those are done most of the time by just driving in a car for days/weeks and making pictures in all directions..
Really that is quite a bit of labor so expensive!

If find a yearly subscription of 50 to 80 for navigation and constantly updated maps (whole world) and software a perfect price.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
Who cares about Ovi Maps if this works?
/me raises his hand

There was very little disclaimer of the fact that Maemo Ovi maps is a really really crappy shade of the Symbian version in the N900 promotions. Ovi maps isn't why i bought the N900, but it is how it first got my attention, and IMO after the way it pitched the N900 Nokia has a moral obligation to get Ovi for Maemo up to parity with its other offering.

As it is now, it's an embarassment of a preinstalled app and is largely dysfunctional.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I just got answer from sygic here we go so i believe the ovi store open this month too

Dear sir,

We are finalizing testing of Maemo version, it should be available until end of January, from both Ovi store and our eshop. For more information please join our mailing list at www.sygic.com section help.

Thank you for contacting support and your interest in our products!

Best regards,

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Nokia should make a deal with them and offer this to everyone to sell the platform as an excuse for the crappy OVI map...

The price point to me is a bit over the top.

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Nokia should make a deal with them and offer this to everyone to sell the platform as an excuse for the crappy OVI map...

The price point to me is a bit over the top.

yes men you right im getting sick about ovi maps is complete useless and now i need the navigation turn by turn like hell and i don't have any oh yeah why i sold my samsung omnia hd garmin xt mobile google maps i was stupid

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by smolomiami View Post
yes men you right im getting sick about ovi maps is complete useless and now i need the navigation turn by turn like hell and i don't have any oh yeah why i sold my samsung omnia hd garmin xt mobile google maps i was stupid
.....manglish?

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn