Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
@Seb Per,

Where are you in Finland? I am in Helsinki. Hermannie to be exact. Are you near by?

If the community cannot create even decent a PIM application without spoon feeding from Nokia, I don't think the device has much chances of success.

Remember, it's a programmable, not a locked device. If people do not use the freedoms given by Free software, such as Linux and Maemo, our future is full of iPhone-like locked devices with manufacturer-created selected features.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Darn good post Keitai.

You hit the nail on the head. Some of these developers need to get serious and develop an application that all could use. Not these hodge-podge applications that only the developing crowd can deal with. The Linux/Open Source crowd are generally viewed as being mavericks and anti-establishment which might in some ways be the reason for lack of a good PIM. PIM's denote calendars, schedules, contacts, biz, etc..... and in some ways this can fly in the face of a developer that "refuses" to give in.

Just my $.02

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
That's funny.....I still use a Sony Clie NR70V (now 5 years old) because I can't find a better PDA for my needs. Even when this one dies I will probably go to ebay to get another Clie. Unfortunately I still read on my Clie as well.....I would much rather read on the N800 but the only stuff I can find is Old classics or stuff I have never heard of. Sorry but I like popular Sci-Fi and other current novels.
I have heard (only heard, mind you!) that one might be able to find popular works of science&fiction on those new-fangled P2P networks.

And while this might at first sight sound (and be!) highly illegal, it seems to me that, if one were to already own such works in their paper editon, one could not have significant moral objections to suck in their electronic equivalents.

Of course, the moral strength required to limit oneself to only those works one has already procured legally, could very well prove to be just too high...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by keitai View Post
If the community cannot create even decent a PIM application without spoon feeding from Nokia, I don't think the device has much chances of success.

Remember, it's a programmable, not a locked device. If people do not use the freedoms given by Free software, such as Linux and Maemo, our future is full of iPhone-like locked devices with manufacturer-created selected features.
Not spoon fed but how about a browser that can read and edit web apps. That would be a start.
Full access to the DUN routine is also needed.

I guess what I'm saying is there are not many proof of concept apps produced by Nokia...

They say it connects to cell phones over BT... not my phone.

They say it browses the internet... Not any of the web apps I can use.

They say it plays video... not well in any native format that I have.

These things will come, I know but other than code snippets out of Maemo Org... Not a lot you can work with without investing a lot of time and effort relearning syntax that some haven't had a need to use for over 15 years. Not a problem, but it takes time.

I have learned a lot about cell phones over the years. I can access contact and datebook info from proprietary code from most of the manufacturers. This info can be manipulated and saved to another computer in a variety of ways...

I cant do 'ish with the N800 if it won't let me connect.

J2ME proof of concept >> http://my.opera.com/yodude/blog/2006...t-j2me-in-beta

Don't spoon feed me but, how about a little meat with all them potato's?

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-02-22 at 00:28.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, USA
Originally Posted by mconnick View Post
PIMonline, a free Web-based service, seems to work fine on the N800. Check it out at:

http://www.pimonline.com/

MMMichael
I took a look at pimonline and it does work, but most PIM users already have a bunch of PIM data that would take a while to re-enter into pimonline since it does not appear to have a data import function. So it would not be my first choice.

While While I am new to the IT user base, I would dare to say that many of us, IT user base,
are carrying a bluetooth enabled smartphone. If we could develop the ability to
browse/sync the phone's pim database, we may have a good solution for users
described above.
While this an Internet tablet, it was designed to interface face with other devices like mobile phones. So why not expand that connection.
Thanks,
~DP

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
@Seb Per,

Where are you in Finland? I am in Helsinki. Hermannie to be exact. Are you near by?
I am near Hermanni, sure, since I'm in Sörnäinen.

Three main problems with Online PIM etc:

+ I am not always online. I can't be due to the network coverage in some cases where I do need to mark down dates etc

+ Online means my data resides on a server outside my control and travells over a net outside my control. Okay for mails etc. but not for contacts and dates

+ OUTLOOK or NOTES. Any application that can't Sync with those two standard systems is useless for many PDA users since they want/must use those systems as the prime date/contact storage system. And exporting VCards and manually importing them is not Sync. We are not talking software guys or even intersted fans, we are talking end users here.

Outlook is always mentioned, but it should be said though that Outlook itself is horrible when it comes to synching contacts. Outlook can't import vcards properly, it can only import one contact at the time. This is totally useless for corporate users, and Outlook 2007 still hasn't fixed this. Outlook shouldn't be considered the measure stick by far.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Outlook is always mentioned, but it should be said though that Outlook itself is horrible when it comes to synching contacts. Outlook can't import vcards properly, it can only import one contact at the time. This is totally useless for corporate users, and Outlook 2007 still hasn't fixed this. Outlook shouldn't be considered the measure stick by far.
I just met with some one in N series. PIM Sync is something they seem to work on for the N800. No garantees, it was just a hint ... But confirmation that this can't be the priority compared to the tsunami of "regular" phones and n phones shipped by Nokia.