Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
They open/r/w ms.doc, albeit I did not look deep enough. On top of this, I was excited to see KPresenter open/r/w powerpoint.
I discuss things in more detail (screenshots!) over here. I think if all you need is Word compatibility, then Abiword is your program. If you also need PowerPoint, then you're probably going to have to go to OpenOffice.

By the way, how do you pull off PowerPoint-over-VNC? Wouldn't you have to configure a remote Windows station to have an 800x480 screen? Or maybe, like me, you've installed MS Office on a Linux system using Wine, which you can then run in an 800x480 vncserver session, or even better, you can X-Forward your MS Office app to your tablet.

Some more reasons to package up a Debian chroot system:

I've also installed Firefox (Iceweasel) 3.0 in my Debian chroot, and it can do Java applets and Flash (although both are slow-running). Evolution is also installable if you need MS Exchange or Novell Groupware support.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-12 at 21:22.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
EDIT2: Penguinbait, I just found a more direct way to get audio to work in Festival, when I was poking around init.scm trying to figure out how to change to a different voice. Turns out there's an (undocumented) Audio_Method called esdaudio, so you only need to add one line to festival.scm:

Code:
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'esdaudio)

When you did this, did you have my esd tarball installed,I am just wondering if it is calling esdplay still or if my esd.tgz is still needed?

Also I talked to Gnuite and we determined the issue with Maemo Mapper using a script to call festival with spanish, or brittish or female voice. He said he would fix it (Not sure on what timeline.) There is another work-around, and I almost have it working.

Either way, this will be working with Maemo Mapper soon. Once its working I will create a deb.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
When you did this, did you have my esd tarball installed,I am just wondering if it is calling esdplay still or if my esd.tgz is still needed?
I was using my infamous Debian chroot; I just apt-get installed it from Debian.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Either way, this will be working with Maemo Mapper soon. Once its working I will create a deb.
Good news, Penguinbait. Thanks.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Good news, Penguinbait. Thanks.
I was not having luck with my fix, but it looks like wonderful Gnuite has the hook-up on the way.

Originally Posted by gnuite

It won't be later than the end of this month, but if I can, I'll try and get it out in a release next week.
Thanks Gnuite! Donations for mapper can be made at

http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I was not having luck with my fix, but it looks like wonderful Gnuite has the hook-up on the way.

Thanks Gnuite! Donations for mapper can be made at

http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

Gnuite has made some changes, I tested in a devel version of maemo-mapper and I am able to point it to use spanish, or other voices. I need to package it all up and wait for a release from Gnuite, but I am suspecting it won't be too long.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have been trying Penguinbait's Spanish Festival and works pretty well. The only problem is with special characters (á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ, ¡ and ¿). But it would be useful with Maemo Mapper.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
I have been trying Penguinbait's Spanish Festival and works pretty well. The only problem is with special characters (á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ, ¡ and ¿). But it would be useful with Maemo Mapper.

Thanks.

This has 8 voices, 1 female, 1 Spanish, 1 brit, and 1 scottish the rest are US.
http://penguinbait.com/festival-multi.deb (20MB Download, 50MB uncompressed, takes up about 35MB on flash)

This is Spanish voice only
http://penguinbait.com/festival-spanish.deb (4MB Download, 12MB uncompressed, takes up about 8MB on flash)

These both install to /home/user/festival

Additionally a shell script called flite is created to allow spanish voices to be used in maemo-mapper. Gnuite is making an update to MM to support this.

For now, the flite script by default uses spanish, it can be changed just edit the file, I included all the voices in it, you just need to adjust the comments.

flite -t no habla espanol

Basically it just a dumb script which ignores the first parameter, no matter what the parm is
flite xxx no habla espanol

We should have an updated maemomapper soon

This has 8 voices, 1 female, 1 Spanish, 1 brit, and 1 scottish the rest are US.
http://penguinbait.com/festival-multi.deb (20MB Download, 50MB uncompressed, takes up about 35MB on flash)
Does it include the slt_arctic_hts (female American) voice?

If it doesn't, can you package that one for me? Please? Please?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Does it include the slt_arctic_hts (female American) voice?

If it doesn't, can you package that one for me? Please? Please?
cmu_us_jmk_arctic_hts
cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts
cmu_us_bdl_arctic_hts
cmu_us_awb_arctic_hts
kal_diphone
ked_diphone
don_diphone
el_diphone

Tags
clone, deprecated, gparted, kde, kde35, penguinbait