Active Topics

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Elop: “Today we are with Microsoft, but anything is possible”

El País: Do you discard launching an Android phone next year?
Elop: In the current ecosystem wars we are using Windows Phone as our weapon. But we are always thinking about what's coming next, what will be the role of HTML 5, Android... HTML5 could make the platform itself—being Android, Windows Phone or any other—irrelevant in the future, but it's still too soon [to tell]. Today we are committed and satisfied with Microsoft, but anything is possible.
It's only logical to assume that Nokia is keeping other options on the table. After all, their contract with Microsoft is non-exclusive. But it's surprising that Elop is admitting that "anything is possible" so soon after the launch of Windows Phone 8 even while he says that they are totally committed to Windows Phone right now.

Asked about Nokia's critical situation, Elop argues that the tide is turning, with Lumia 920 being a big success. In fact, he actually sees Nokia getting double-digit marketshare and then fighting with Google and Apple at the same level:
I can't give figures, but the first objective, without giving any dates, is getting a double-digit marketshare. Then, keep pushing and establish an equilibrium with the other two big ecosystems, Apple and Android.
Quite the optimist. Must be all that pickled herring.

According to Nokia, El Pais mistranslated the interview. We weren't there, so we can't say, but it's only fair to bring you Nokia's side of the story:
Do you rule out 100% launching a smartphone based on Android in 2013?

So, the way I think about it is, in the current war on ecosystems, we are fighting with Windows Phone. That's what we're doing. Now, what we're always doing is asking, how does that evolve? What's next? What role does HTML5 play? What role does Android or other things play in the future? We're looking further into the future, but it terms of what we're bringing to market, and what we're immediately focused on, we're focused on Windows Phone.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Microsoft starting to get presence on the market with lots of tablets so simply abandon windows would be unwise, especially when they have invested so much during the last years. BUT nokia need a second os and android would be great if they could get a great deal with Google.

I would oc rather see other OS. But the truth is few oses will beat the sales of windows and android the years to come. Why not join both?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Microsoft starting to get presence on the market with lots of tablets so simply abandon windows would be unwise, especially when they have invested so much during the last years. BUT nokia need a second os and android would be great if they could get a great deal with Google.

I would oc rather see other OS. But the truth is few oses will beat the sales of windows and android the years to come. Why not join both?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1948

Nokia is having a tough time in India.

INR 3000 crores (more than half a billion Dollars)

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-01-08 at 10:58.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Nokia is having a tough time in India.

INR 3000 crores (more than half a billion Dollars)
LOL. Raids are on

I want to raid Nokia's headquarter and steel elops hockey stick. Who is with me?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Okay I step back from the Xperia.
I hope Nokia gets broke until they can't afford a bottle of water, revenge is sweet.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Originally Posted by AMD View Post
Okay I step back from the Xperia.
I hope Nokia gets broke until they can't afford a bottle of water, revenge is sweet.
What? Xperia? Nokia? Bottle of water?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
What? Xperia? Nokia? Bottle of water?
No questioning, just nodding

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
LOL. Raids are on

I want to raid Nokia's headquarter and steel elops hockey stick. Who is with me?
I'm in

10 chars

Originally Posted by AMD View Post
No questioning, just nodding

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson