Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Black friday incoming. Prepare yourself.
Will the world buy more stuff than ever or will the world be happy with what you have.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2020-09-28 at 20:45.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Facsism or any other ism doesn't really matter. The thought of expansion on the expence of others is the issue and sad for many poeple and countries.
Perhaps i did not make myself clear, Dave. Border expansion is in the same category as gas chambers. It is not the first stage of fascism, it is the last! First you ned to prepare the grounds for it:
  • neutralise the pesky intellectuals (hence the climate change denying and support of antivaxxers, anti-maskers, flat earthers and other anti-intellectual and conspiracy theory nuts);
  • declare any kind of internal opposition (Antifa, BLM, political parties other than your own...) an "enemy";
  • declare any ideas other than your own, and especially any protests, however peaceful, "extreme" and "radical";
  • promote an armed, violent militia ("good people") and encourage them to intimidate the rest of the population;
  • assume a full control of the media, legislation, judiciary and military;
  • in short, create an environment where people do not dare to act, say or even think anything opposing you.
Then and only then can you proceed to the next stage - expand those things beyound your own borders.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
"World's most dangerous" is typical US American self-centeredness, giving the Orange Baby too much credit.
Like it or not, the US is the most influential country in the world (although its current leader has been working hard for the past 4 years on diminishing that influence) and electing a dangerous leader makes him the most dangerous man in the world. (I am saying it as a non-USAnian, so you cannot accuse me of US American self-centeredness.)

Look at it this way. Was Hitler dangerous? I'd say certainly. Was he the most dangerous man in the world? I'd say almost certainly. There were other nutters around but WW2 would not have happened without him.

Now imagine the US starting a similar expansion as Germany did 80 years ago. Who could possibly stop them?
Fair enough.
Let me put it this way: if he really won this election (god forbid) that statement would have merit.
As things stand right now, I think Putin and Xi Jinping are far more dangerous, globally. And it's a different kind of danger. Compare the silent assassin to a loudmouthed egomaniac with a machine gun. Even though the body count might be the same in the end...

PS: is talking politics taboo on TMO?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No it's not it's the endgame.
Politics we leave to politicians and voters.

And meanwhile DT is finally positive about something... hahaha, mildly funny.
Thinking how he could turn even that to his advantage, playing the media, wipes the grin off my face though.

And meanwhile DT is finally positive about something... hahaha, mildly funny.
Thinking how he could turn even that to his advantage, playing the media, wipes the grin off my face though.
The virus doesn't care a about politics or trump. it will burn through the population until its done. Its just like we are doing with the planet. Sad but true.
How long will media keep this alive as the main story? Wouldnt be surprised if this is a story 2024. Sit tight.

15% of humanity per year then in a few years it will face more immunity and semi effective vaccines.

What we can do is improve the science and improvement of care.
Hopefully will we see some sort of vaccines next year but I wouldn't bet may hat on that.

If trump is nokia and biden apple i think it play out nicely.
No more billion dollar boost of the economy and ultimately the stocks. Refund!

RIP Van Halen

Last edited by Dave999; 2020-10-06 at 20:42.

The virus (...) will burn through the population until its done.
That is not necessarily true. It depends a lot on how the administration of a country deals with it.

That is not necessarily true. It depends a lot on how the administration of a country deals with it.
To me it has very little to with what leader and admins do. They can of course save a few lives but the spread going on slowly but steady unfortunately.
Do you think it looks like it slowing down in the world?

Stock exchange reaching all time high in many markets. For how long.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
To me it has very little to with what leader and admins do. They can of course save a few lives but the spread going on slowly but steady unfortunately.
Do you think it looks like it slowing down in the world?

Stock exchange reaching all time high in many markets. For how long.

You are being way too gloomy.
Of course we'll beat the virus, it's just another disease. It just takes some time to cook up the effective vaxine.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You are being way too gloomy.
Of course we'll beat the virus, it's just another disease. It just takes some time to cook up the effective vaxine.
Vaccine. From "vacca", Latin for "a cow". Because of the discovery and history of vaccination.

I've had my doubts about ever having an effective vaccine and, despite the upbeat messages I keep hearing on the news from time to time, I still do. Coronaviruses are notoriously bad to develop a vaccine for. Of the 7 known human coronaviruses, exactly zero have a vaccine.

I suppose it depends on how you define "effective". If you put up with having to get a jab every 3 or 6 months, then, maybe...

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson