Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care about portrait mode at all?

In fact, am I the only one who is annoyed that the phone app switches the phone to portrait mode if the keyboard isn't out?

I guess I don't understand, because frankly I think everything should be in landscape mode. Maybe I have big hands but I have no trouble operating it with one hand...
This is probably OT but you do not understand. What then if it had ALSO portrait mode? Should you care? I would care even thought I can live without portrait mode, just because itīs must have option for some people and nice to have for quite many so more customers for this device and probably more developers for applications and that makes me happy.

Have to admit that sometimes I would like to use my phone with one hand on go, but right now its quite hard.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The merging of the threads has confused me a bit...

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and almost daily I come across a situation where I wish I could bang out a quick sms with one hand, mostly because I am carrying something in the other. Also my phone app only goes into portrait mode when the device is turned on it's side. There is an option for that in the phone's pulldown menu.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and almost daily I come across a situation where I wish I could bang out a quick sms with one hand, mostly because I am carrying something in the other. Also my phone app only goes into portrait mode when the device is turned on it's side. There is an option for that in the phone's pulldown menu.
Ah, man... thanks! Didn't know about that menu option.

Maemo 6 will most likely be released for the N900 for various reasons. As already pointed out multi touch is a non issue, if you can't design an OS which doesn't fail as soon as a new input method arrives "you're doing something wrong".

If we entertain the thought that the N900 has been doing pretty well for being an N series device ( which judging by the activity on the boards and numerous rumors, it has ), then from a business pov it wouldn't make sense to leave the N900 behind unless the next device is very far of. It would be a disaster from a PR pov for a OS whose whole point is leveraging the open source community since their developer workforce by and large is also their market.

For me personally, I won't upgrade to a new phone in a very very long time for various reasons. The largest being that I believe the N900 will be the last device which has the hardware setup I want ( physical keyboard and resistive screen, multi touch is **** and I want the precision of the stylus ).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sairon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...rn_navigation/

in development. Milestone: Harmattan

One more nail in N900's coffin.

Last edited by mmlado; 2010-02-01 at 14:53.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
<complain>

Only thing I don't get here is the Sygic move, I know it's a different company than Nokia, but how come we have to pay money for Sygic just because we are on the Maemo platform while the Symbian fellas can enjoy free navigation right now.. :S

</complain>

Anyways, I am too hoping that Maemo 6 will be available for the N900..

So the Maemo 6 Alpha SDK is going to be released when exactly? Q1 2010?

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
One more nail in N900's coffin.
If you're only searching nails, I've got a big one for you: Email: Keep Sent and Drafts on IMAP server

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
<complain>

Only thing I don't get here is the Sygic move, I know it's a different company than Nokia, but how come we have to pay money for Sygic just because we are on the Maemo platform while the Symbian fellas can enjoy free navigation right now.. :S

</complain>
Why do I have to pay for Windows when the Linux people enjoy a free OS? Forget Sygic - if you like the software and think it's better than Ovi maps, then buy it (when it comes out). The presence (or absence) of Sygic has no effect on whether Nokia will produce free navigation for the N900.

My suspicion is that, when development of Ovi Maps for m6 is complete, they'll make a decision on making it available for m5. Until that point they don't know whether it'll work, or even whether it's worth it (if m6 is out shortly afterwards, and will be available for the N900, why bother).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
If you're only searching nails, I've got a big one for you: Email: Keep Sent and Drafts on IMAP server
That is a really a big one.

Last edited by mmlado; 2010-02-01 at 15:27.

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade