Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
No one has responded to my previous post regarding money (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=637). I'm serious, people: I have a lot of money to share with devs who are willing to create apps that have been requested in this thread/this forum.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Well, personally I'm slowly ramping up my efforts on Sailfish, under the assumption that I'll finally have a Sailfish device within a month or so (when the tablet finally ships). But I'm generally writing the apps that I want to use myself.

I've never really been comfortable with the idea of taking money for an app that the user has never before seen. What if the person providing the money is unhappy with the finished product? What if I couldn't finish the app quickly enough for their needs? Payment works better when the customer can immediately determine whether the product serves their needs.

I kind of like the idea of the semi-annual coding competitions that used to be held for Maemo (even though I never competed in one myself). Rather than immediately give money out as a spur to write code, promise a set of rewards for code finished at a particular date. That seems a better way both to get folks writing code, and to be able to tie money to results that are pleasing...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Yes, coding competitions were a good thing.

Anyway, this seems interesting. But I'd not be comfortable with taking money in advance: what if I'm unable to finish the app (either lack of time or simply project too hard).

I could accept a donation when the app is almost done: then we can clear out some small things together but the most is there.

A couple of ideas I could code:

- A web search app - you can configure multiple search engines, define searches with multiple criteria (useful for using online dictionaries or quickly searching something)
- A mobile database (something like N900's portabase)
- a cron gui
- a dconf editor
- a dice throwing app
- a swappiness gui
- scoresheet

Please let me know how much you'd donate for such an app (and whether creating such an app makes sense altogether)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2015-08-04 at 07:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I've never really been comfortable with the idea of taking money for an app that the user has never before seen. What if the person providing the money is unhappy with the finished product? What if I couldn't finish the app quickly enough for their needs? Payment works better when the customer can immediately determine whether the product serves their needs.
You can trust me on the fact that I'll never set any deadlines for myself. If you can make the app with my money, then do so. I don't care how long it takes. I promise. And I also won't be unhappy with the result, I just want the community to be happy with the apps created. I promise.

Last edited by vistaus; 2015-08-04 at 10:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Yes, coding competitions were a good thing.

Anyway, this seems interesting. But I'd not be comfortable with taking money in advance: what if I'm unable to finish the app (either lack of time or simply project too hard).

I could accept a donation when the app is almost done: then we can clear out some small things together but the most is there.

A couple of ideas I could code:

- A web search app - you can configure multiple search engines, define searches with multiple criteria (useful for using online dictionaries or quickly searching something)
- A mobile database (something like N900's portabase)
- a cron gui
- a dconf editor
- a dice throwing app
- a swappiness gui
- scoresheet

Please let me know how much you'd donate for such an app (and whether creating such an app makes sense altogether)
It depends on what the community wants as to how much I'd donate for those projects, but personally I'd donate 10 euros for a swappiness GUI myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
OK, community, please share your opinion ;D
Would you want to see any of the apps listed here on Sailfish? Would you donate for such an app

I'll have a couple of things to do anyway so I'll see what the moods are

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
maybe we should update the list, because its very old

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
OK, community, please share your opinion ;D
Would you want to see any of the apps listed here on Sailfish? Would you donate for such an app
I would donate for a Piratebox app! Do you remember this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yet you were happy enough to fork out in advance for a Jolla tablet

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yet you were happy enough to fork out in advance for a Jolla tablet
Yup. I have to admit, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the iOS / Android / WP environments, enough that I'm willing to support pretty much any mobile device that will allow me to run something even close to a standard Linux distribution (preferably without voiding my warrantee). Time will tell if I've made a horrible mistake...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish