Closed Thread
Personally I would like to send a huge thanks to Nokia for having the courage to produce the first properly good open platform running Linux.

The N900 is like a breath of fresh air.

Having been Microsoft free for nearly 8 years and having to watch proprietary stacks with abhorent lockins such as DRM, tied cloud services etc working to the detrement of consumers come and go I think the N900 is without a doubt currently the best platform for the future benefit of customers.

A big thanks also to Novell (www.novell.com) who have just fought the good fight for 7 years and been confirmed rightful owners of all their Unix copyrights keeping Linux free for the benefit of all Linux users world wide making such excellent devices as the N900 possible.

If the SCOrags had got their way then they would have tried to levy a per seat charge of $699 SCOtax for each handset on top of its base price.

More details at

http://www.groklaw.net

Now if only we could have OpenSuse install on the N900 then life would be perfect.

http://www.opensuse.org

rgds

Originally Posted by cryox92 View Post
Only a fanboy or a person that hasnt done any research could say that Nokia is advertising the n900 properly.So either you are a fanboy or you have no idea what you are talking about.
I guess I'm not the one who didn't do research before buying the device

But, you can keep on arguing here among yourselves, I go play PokerTH on the bed while chatting with a friend and listening to music. Once in a while I check RSS-feeds and read the news. Get the picture? I don't need to be a fanboy (and believe me, after 16 years of being a mac user I've seen them all) but just a normal user. N900 is not perfect, nothing is perfect in this world, but N900 delivers a lot and I'm using some of its potential.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Sadly i have to tell you that your soooo wrong here, for example... since when was it obvious that one cannot topup or dial any numbers beggining with a * or hash , not able to recieve MMS , not able to fully use any functions that we have become so used too from previous Nokia mobiles... i can quote many many more problems with the N900 that were simply not stated when and before the hype began telling everyone this is the best thing since sliced bread !

ok its open software based but for what ? usless games that were about 30 years ago ??? not even the GOS works properly and also much of this developers software is all kids stuff... is this really all we can expect in the year 2010 from Nokia ? since buying this N900 in december last i have never had a full day without some problematic issue ... and right now my N900 is very very sadly being used to connect to the internet 24/7 because of the issues with it so best to not take it out with me even that way no headache.... ok for you childish gamers would be 2010 developers but sadly this IS 2010 and we just expect more ok.
What a funny man you are
What you say basically is "I'm used to be able to do everything, and now I bought the N900 which is new so I assume I should be able to do even more than before but I don't know how to do it, so that's Nokia's fault...".

Quit whining, and go slap the guy who forced you buy this device without understanding what it can do and not do exactly...
Uh, NO ONE FORCED YOU TO BUY THE N900? In that case the solution is MUCH simpler - SLAP YOURSELF. Twice, please - once, for buying a device you simply do not understand (and don't want to know) how to operate just because "its the latest device", and the second time for not grasping the fact that you probably just can't handle it, so go buy yourself a dumbphone like the iPhone, and let Apple decide everything for you (which is not a bad thing, sometimes its actually a better option for some people)...
Strangely enough, almost every developer who bought the N900 is very happy with it, and why? Because its suites best for developers, and still non-developers buy it and enjoy it so much.
Sure, it has its downs, but most people who love it can just see past those cons and make the most out of it.
If you can't, and you don't like it and the way it handles - thats perfectly fine. Sell it and buy something else but for god's sake STOP WHINING, how old are you? 5? Make an adult decision and sell your device...

Btw, I have no problem what so ever dialing phone numbers beginning with a '*'.

Can we get back on track to the pointless speculation please. there's a thousand of these why I hate my N900 threads elsewhere - go and do your whinning on one of those.

Is there a standard time that the releases generaly made - ie if it's not released by 12GMT on any particular day then it won't be released that day?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Usually it's a rolling release, so it's roughly appearing at the same local time. The previous N900 upgrades all appeared before 12, but there is no guarantee. If you don't see it by early afternoon in Europe, though, chances are it's not the day.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I think they have serious problems making the install package, so they will release it in a binary text file so we can tap it with the touch screen using Morse code...

Originally Posted by mika View Post
Or marketing is different in different markets.
Dumbest statement ever.So a different "official maemo webpage" opens for each individual?Please enlightment me on how to do this.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Dumbest statement ever.So a different "official maemo webpage" opens for each individual?Please enlightment me on how to do this.
That's relatively simple - you can use geoip to detect where the user is coming from and serve a different web page. As the site is probably hosted by Akamai (as they seem to be handling most of Nokia's sites) then this is done anyway, to route the user to the nearest server. I'm not saying that this is being done, but it's not a complex process to do it.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
well, at finland there have been exactly two public marketing ways:

a) nokia online store finland within google adwords (buy n900 + link)

b) carriers say buy this device plus our good data flatrate package.

I've seen sero commercials in tv, one really weird clip in the internet and N900 specs page. From this background I wonder wtf has got to people who don't do their research.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
That's relatively simple - you can use geoip to detect where the user is coming from and serve a different web page. As the site is probably hosted by Akamai (as they seem to be handling most of Nokia's sites) then this is done anyway, to route the user to the nearest server. I'm not saying that this is being done, but it's not a complex process to do it.
Yeah its possible in theory,but i doubt someone would set up a different advertisment for each person on the planet.The website clearly shows features that the device does not contain,its ignorant to state otherwise.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever