Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Smothermunchie View Post
Hey Roc!
cp /media/mmc2/tomeinst /user/home
I apologize, this was a dyslexia-driven error on my part.
There is no /user/home on the device - the correct directory is /home/user.

--------
Re: DosBOX install

Dosbox is one of those applications that inherently requires use of the command-line and editing of configuration files. Unlike the fceu emulator, it isn't a click-and-play type of program. That being said, I do apologise for not yet integrating a keyboard and menu-based launcher. I've been spending most of my time on it fixing up the errors introduced into the 0.70 branch.

Cheers,

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-11-16 at 05:42. Reason: brevity

I blame ArnimS and a boring day at work for me trying the following;

Last edited by BOFH; 2007-11-16 at 20:07.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I blame ArnimS and a borning day at work for me trying the following;

You were birthed at work today?

That must have been freakin' weird. *lol*

Hey, pop quiz Arnim.

By any chance could you get a hold of Dawnmist for me?

I posted over at this forum and really would like to hear from him, that is, unless you know the answer yourself.

http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=283

Thanks.

Originally Posted by spiderx View Post
what about xkbd - it looks like it doesn't install on the new 2007he os...
I've updated xkbd .deb on my site.

New dosbox 0.72+ cvs .deb version up with latest fixes from the dosbox team. Stop by the vogons site or #dosbox on irc.freenode.net and give em a big "thank you" for the Nokia fixes.

This version will auto-launch xkbd if you have it installed. I am still trying to figure out why xkbd not working with fullscreen sdl apps - the parent process id is now dosbox, so that didn't solve it.

Awesome, awesome stuff ArnimS!!!!

The installation was so easy that even a ******ed gorilla like myself was able to get this on my Nokia.

Anyway, I'm trying to run Nethack.

I fire this bad puppy up and it gives me some kind of error stating to get the csdpmi*b.zip files.

So I put CWSDPMI.EXE, CWSDPR0.EXE, CWSDSTUB.EXE, and CWSPARAM.EXE in the Nethack folder from this site.
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/dl/ofc/.../csdpmi5b.zip/

The game takes some time to get running and when I finally get to the prompt asking me what my name is, the xkbd keyboard isn't responding at all.

I'm able to type one, maybe two letters, and then it basically stops working even though the keyboard appears to still be functional.

Any advice on this?

Also, is it at all possible to compile your own keyboard interface and not be dependent on the xkbd keyboard?

That way you can easily solve the full screen problem you're experiencing.

If you could implement this keyboard that would pure awesomeness.

Maybe if you got ahold of Dawnmist, he'd be willing to package that together for you.

Well, congratulations on your latest build.

Please post back on the issue I'm currently having and what your thoughts are about compiling your own personal keyboard for Dosbox.

Thanks chief!

I'm able to type one, maybe two letters, and then it basically stops working even though the keyboard appears to still be functional.

Any advice on this?
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't been able to find any cases where the keyboard doesn't work in windowed mode.

I put up a mapper.txt file that maps some functions to nokia buttons.
- Fullscreen toggle (for when you need xkbd to type)
- Menu Button to exit dosbox
- +/- buttons for Cpu Cycle Increase/Decrease

I put mapper.txt into /home/user and run dosbox from that directory. If you want, you can also specify where the mapper.txt file is located by editing dosbox.conf .

I don't expect i'll find time to finish up an sdl keyboard soon. Preferred solution would be in the form of a library (e.g libsdlkbd) that you can call from any sdl program.

Another option would be figuring out how to integrate the native hildon input methods with SDL apps. Problem there would be the screen real estate they take up

Re: Installing dosbox 0.72 deb for N800 and N810 just
  • download the deb to mmc.
  • if you haven't yet, install libsdl-net package for your OS
  • open xterm.
  • sudo gainroot.
  • cd to the directory with the .deb file and type
  • dpkg -i dosbox_0.72-0.1_armel.deb

http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

Once again I deserve to be shot on general principle!

I would start "dosbox" from X-Term from the get go and that was it, I wasn't invoking my custom config file. I was wondering why I was only getting about .05 frames per second. Duh.

Okay, help me out one last time here Arnim and I promise you won't be bothered by me for quite some time.

I have my custom dosbox.conf file in /media/mmc2/
For me to start up your Dosbox I type in
dosbox -conf /media/mmc2/dosbox.conf

Is there any easier way to do this so that my dosbox.conf is always set as default?

I need the exact cp command to do this in X Term since I have yet been able to figure out how to transfer any files from my memory card to areas like "/home/user". I've searched the forums but I couldn't find anything that was newbie friendly to understand how this is done.

Again, I have gameflat.xkbd also in /media/mmc2.

How can I make that my default keyboard as well?

Finally, I see that you have a new Dosbox build as of today. Do I need to uninstall your current package or is it okay just to build on top of what's already there?

Thanks again for such a kick butt release!

Modern technology can't even begin to measure how awesome a person you are!

Champagne and fireworks for ArnimS!

Last edited by Addison; 2007-11-18 at 02:20.

I have my custom dosbox.conf file in /media/mmc2/
For me to start up your Dosbox I type in
dosbox -conf /media/mmc2/dosbox.conf

Is there any easier way to do this so that my dosbox.conf is always set as default?

... I have gameflat.xkbd also in /media/mmc2.

How can I make that my default keyboard as well?

Finally, I see that you have a new Dosbox build as of today. Do I need to uninstall your current package or is it okay just to build on top of what's already there?
To make a particular dosbox.conf be the default you can move it to /home/user/.dosboxrc

In your case this would be:
cp /media/mmc2/dosbox.conf /home/user/.dosboxrc

to change your default keyboard, you can overwrite the default keyboard layout file with a different .xkbd definition file

first do a "sudo gainroot" to get root priveleges (or use one of the alternate methods)

then make a backup of the default keyboard layout:
cp /usr/share/xkbd/en_GB.qwerty.xkbd /usr/share/xkbd/en_GB.querty.xkbd.backup

then overwrite the default file
cp /media/mmc2/gameflat.xkbd /usr/share/xkbd/en_GB.qwerty.xkbd

If you installed a dosbox 0.72 .deb from my the link on my site, that's current. The 0.71 is old/bad. Doesn't hurt to reinstall.

p.s. thanks for pasting the link to dawnmists updated keyboard - i had an older version. i'll drop her an email.
p.p.s. please let me know if keyboard problems only happen with nethack, or if you get them with other dos programs
p.p.p.s you do know there's a maemo port of nethack that uses graphics and stuff, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Joy!

Oh man, things are getting exciting now!

I think why I was having so much trouble copying files from the memory card was because I wasn't using a period near the end of the command and didn't have root privileges. It's all beginning to make sense to me now.

So yeah, I believe I had the .71 version and I think the problem was that you had Max Cycles turned on full.

If you have Dosbox running too fast it actually makes it run incredibly chunky.

I actually could read the screen refreshing faster than it was typing it out so I probably was only getting closer to .005 frames per second originally.

But all is good with the world now!

You are loved by many!

Yeah, I know that there's a Nethack port but the game seems to consistently double my character's movements. It's like playing Nethack on ice. It's too bad really, Joseph put together a really nice interface.

One last mention, could you also ask Dawnmist what the status is on Angband? What she has already done looks so incredibly promising.

Thanks again chief!

You are a mathematical God!

try cp -r <sourcedir> <destdir>