Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This forum has become unbearable for sure. I just wish the mods didn't have such a light touch. There are so many useless threads and ridiculous whiners that could be sorted out with an IP ban that could make this forum a wonderful resource again for those who actually wanted to improve, contribute and enhance the maemo/meego experience. Alas it is probably not to be...

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
This forum has become unbearable for sure. I just wish the mods didn't have such a light touch. There are so many useless threads and ridiculous whiners that could be sorted out with an IP ban that could make this forum a wonderful resource again for those who actually wanted to improve, contribute and enhance the maemo/meego experience. Alas it is probably not to be...
I don't believe this will happen. Yes, I could rant again about the few times we've been heavy handed, and how poo started flying everywhere aimed at our faces (faeces?), but I won't.

Ultimately, the person who decides what goes and doesn't is Reggie. He's been an admin on these forums for quite some time, and he has a lot of experience. He is the one who tries to enforce the "light touch" policy. We merge threads when their subjects are close, we move topics to the right forums. We automatically click on "One touch & Ban" button when we see "iphone 3gs macbook ipad nano" in the subject of a reported post, etc.

It's rare to have to close a thread, it's rare to have to tell people to calm down (when we look at the amount of posts there are on a daily basis). Let's not forget, we recently broke the number of concurrent users again. This is *not* a small forum. It's quite amazing that so little moderation is needed (well, except for the wrong forums and stupid thread titles).

I won't even reply to the insults I've gotten in this thread, but I will say this: I decided to moderate because the forums needed it. There were a lot of different threads being posted in the wrong parts, and we just needed more hands on deck because the amount of users that were joining was growing on a daily basis. I decided to step up, I decided to at least TRY and do something.

Maybe I wasn't the best mod, maybe I was too heavy handed; but don't pretend you were insulted by me using the word "idiotic" or "stupid". Because if you really were, what the fu*k are you doing on the internet?

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is a good example of a generic comment that could be made at virtually any time by anyone. Let's try it out:

"So, the brakes in the Toyota were weakened because the materials that went into them had been contaminated by the factory suppliers.."

"haha you don't know a thing you are talking about, do you?"

It works! But I don't think it adds much to the discussion.
I didn't bother to explain same things millionth time in tmo. sorry.... (and explaining means nothing to next person ranting apparently)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
I used to visit another forum (I still do from time to time), and any form of personal attack would have earned you a warning, after the 3rd warning, you'd be banned for a few days, then the punishment would gradually increase till a full IP ban. I sometimes think the moderators have allowed too much freedom here, which has allowed some people to just abuse that kindness. All moderators do a good job, its hard, they sacrifice time and effort to ensure the forum is a fun place for others, and their work here often goes unnoticed, and I'd like to thank them for it. I'd hate to see what the forum would look like if things didn't get moderated. But I do think there needs to be slightly more done to curb the rise in insults and rude language towards other members. Personally I'd have closed this thread already after page 1 when it started to get personal towards certain members.

From the Terms of Use
(c) you will not send any such messages to any other user or Nokia that contain vulgar, abusive or otherwise inappropriate language;

(d) you will not disrupt the flow of discussion with vulgar, abusive or otherwise inappropriate language, or by other means, including without limitation hitting the return key repeatedly or posting repetitive text;

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
And yet through all this guff not one person has been able to demonstrate how the N900 has a safe future. It's so easy to start calling people trolls but I want to be educated. What did I miss? I only caught the bit where Nokia announced a new platform and left us out in the cold! And the most amazing thing is that they are happy for us to spend time and money testing it for them and then dump us. It wouldn't be too bad if Maego had had a good run and built up a big range of apps, support ect. That is not the case though. If Apple did this it would make headlines!

Go to the meego subforum

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ugot1newmail View Post
And yet through all this guff not one person has been able to demonstrate how the N900 has a safe future. It's so easy to start calling people trolls but I want to be educated. What did I miss? I only caught the bit where Nokia announced a new platform and left us out in the cold! And the most amazing thing is that they are happy for us to spend time and money testing it for them and then dump us. It wouldn't be too bad if Maego had had a good run and built up a big range of apps, support ect. That is not the case though. If Apple did this it would make headlines!
It's really easy to just join this community and, after 11 posts, make such an assessment. But it ignores the complexity of the situation.

Yes, even some of us old-timers are regularly irritated at Nokia's goofs (as we see them), but at the same time, every mistake by Nokia just hardens our resolve to fill in the gaps as a community.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
It seems that some people here mistake moderation with punishment and censorship....
These may be equal if the forum is a private one and if its sole purpose is to discuss truly specific topics about a single thing.
Unfortunately talk.maemo.org is neither private nor specific... It is a forum of a community... and this community is consisting of INDIVIDUALS.... something that many people here do forget...

Anyway IMHO Moderation is not the things one can do to punish the posters he doesn't like or considers rude/inapropriate/out of good manners etc, but the things one can do to convince the offenders stop doing their flame/troll etc. That is why moderation is an art... And that is why this board has nothing to do with the boards on KDE, GNOME or LinuxQuestions.org in terms of trolling/flaming....

This small article:
http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/

may be a bit old and referring to Usenet... but i am sure that anyone of us (including me ) can learn some things from it...

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by ugot1newmail View Post
And yet through all this guff not one person has been able to demonstrate how the N900 has a safe future.
Really now, what modern electronic device has a "safe future"!

When it comes to gadgets and gizmos like the n900, I purchase based on what they are. I'm happy when extra features come down the pipe and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I had hopes for the future of the device. However,If the n900 serves my purposes for 2 years I'll be happy, 3 years and I'll be ecstatic!

I always buy my gadgets based on what they actually do now and if I think those features will serve my present and future needs.

As a result I am rarely disappointed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
I'm in no way a serious hacker or developer. The farthest I've hacked is changing application icons, and the most advanced application I've created tells you what number you just told it.

Like I've said in other places: The Maemo platform is as much of a stepping stone for Nokia as it is for people who might want to go into Computer Sciences.
That was originally in response to another one of those "Oh, the N900 is only for geeks and developers, it's too nerdy for me! And Nokia abandoned us too!" posts.

Just thought I'd share that again.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Closed Thread

Tags
epic lulz, forum, moderation, op is a gerbil, policy, practice