Active Topics

Does Control Alt F1 drop you out of X and into the Console?

Mike C
oops where is F1

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Anyone figured out what Ctrl+Shift+n (KEY_ACTION_TOGGLE_NON_COMP_MODE) is for? All it seems to do here is make the display black (use Ctrl+Backspace to recover).
You can use it with the browser in fullscreen. It gives a little speed boost while you lose fancy effects.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
How do the blue symbol keys work? You hit the blue arrow ("ALT", I'm assuming), then hit sym/ctrl, then hit the sym key?

If so, then it sounds like emacs and the like might not work as C-M-blah would send you to symbol mode? Or do they have to be pressed in sequence?

Anyone?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
How do the blue symbol keys work? You hit the blue arrow ("ALT", I'm assuming), then hit sym/ctrl, then hit the sym key?

If so, then it sounds like emacs and the like might not work as C-M-blah would send you to symbol mode? Or do they have to be pressed in sequence?

Anyone?
You just press fn (the blue key) and some key with symbol on it. Similar with laptops..

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
You just press fn (the blue key) and some key with symbol on it. Similar with laptops..
That's even worse news That would mean i couldn't even do M-x as it would enter '$'.

Surely a fellow emacs user has tried the n900. Is there any way to make it work without being a royal pain?

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Surely a fellow emacs user has tried the n900. Is there any way to make it work without being a royal pain?
Has any emacs user already tried the N900?

I live in emacs and think there's gonna have to be some serious xmodmap remapping for emacs to be useable on the n900, the Meta key missing.

Right Ctrl key missing is gonna be a pain for touch typing. Any experiences yet with remapping for emacs useability?

I read somewhere that the volume down key is mapped to meta and the volume up key is tab (in qemacs). That might actually work out fine, but I haven't tried it yet (obviously).

It seems that the on screen esc-key works as a meta key, at least for some apps in xterm on the N900.

To be frank what I noticed was that pressing esc and then arrow or number swiches irssi-window (this is traditionally done w/ the meta key as far as I know..

(sorry if I'm poking an old thread but this was a pain for me to find so I figured I'd help out fellow IRCers )