Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I like the compactness of the new widgets, but the loss of the icons is a little sad for me. The widgets lost some personality... I don't suppose you could humour me and let us have yet another setting to turn the icons on and off?

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
qole - I will add an option to enable/disable "compact mode" in the next version.

There may be cases when toggling this option makes your widget land on another desktop or on top of an existing widget due to the changed size. Does this sound like something users could deal with, or should I put some text in the dialog to explain it?

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Version 0.3-4 contains fixes by Marius (mgedmin), who sent in patches that are very appreciated!

In previous versions there was some issues getting the correct IP when connected to a cellular network (I have no SIM, so cannot test this - perhaps somewhat ironic for the creator of the Dataplan bandwidth monitor?).

Marius noticed the problem and suggested a fix. I attempted to implement in version 0.3-3 (after crashing Marius' desktop in 0.3-2) but as the implementation was untested there were still issues. Marius stepped in and provided patches to fix the problems.

A big hand for Marius!

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Version 0.3-5 - Hopefully the last version before it hits extras.

This version adds an option to "Use Compact Layout," meaning the user can switch between "compact" (smallest footprint) layout, and "non-compact" (larger layout with icon) layout.

This version has been promoted to extras-testing, please rate it!

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...-address/0.3-5

Screenshot shows compact layout lower-left and non-compact layout lower-right.
Attached Images

Last edited by fiferboy; 2009-10-19 at 19:18. Reason: added screenshot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Personal IP Address is now available in extras!

Thanks to everyone who tested, reported bugs, and made feature requests.

I don't have any immediate plans for new features for this widget, so if you have ideas let's here 'em!

There will be a version with some small fixes (bugtracker link provided in the package, slightly fixed layout for non-compact mode).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
I don't have any immediate plans for new features for this widget, so if you have ideas let's here 'em!
Well, since you offered.

I'd like to be able to see the name of the network I'm connected to, instead of "wlan0".

I've hacked it myself (http://slexy.org/view/s2smskchmq) and got this as a result:

The thing is, however, it being a hack an' all: it causes the whole desktop to hang for some seconds (and it's rather visible, TBH) upon startup.

It most likely lies down to the fact that I'm using D-Bus to retrieve the Network ID, from which I am able to get the name. It [the Network ID] can also be retrieved from GConf, but I found that - in some situations - it failed to update itself when connected to a network. This was when I checked some firmware revisions back. I haven't checked, however, if this issue is still in 51-1.

An alternative is dlopen()ing libconnui and attempting to use the function for doing exactly this provided by libconnui...

I have a better version that doesn't need GString if you're interested (I can get the ID as a string straight).

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-01-18 at 18:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Nice applet

Is there also coming disconnect feature?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Hi, just popped in to say qwerty12's idea was mine as well, it would be mighty useful to see what I'm connected to, as long as it's reliable.

Also, that I've been using it actively for quite a while and it's great, no problems whatsoever. Good job.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Personal IP Address is now available in extras!

Thanks to everyone who tested, reported bugs, and made feature requests.

There will be a version with some small fixes (bugtracker link provided in the package, slightly fixed layout for non-compact mode).
are you then one who's email is provides in the programs details?

i wrote an email to you, dont know if you read it^^

i'll share my thoughts here with everyone:
i really really like your app, and i love how it connects by just clicking on it.

but there is one thing i miss: disconnecting by clicking!
when you're connected to a wlan or gprs, it would be nice if you could disconnect by clicking on it again.

that would save you from going to the status-menu, click on internet connections and disconnect from there.

just my two cents, discuss!
btw, having this as an option would be perfectly fine too.

I am the maintainer of the package, yes. I got your email and I will try to work in some time to update the applet. I will also look into qwerty12's change as an option.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:

Tags
desktop, fremantle, ip address, widget