Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey qole!

You have to ssh in to your server and find the directory you want. On my Windows machine running cygwin and openssh (this sounds like what copssh is, too), there's a directory called /cygdrive that has all of the server's drives under it. So if you want the Windows machine's C: drive, your directory would be /cygdrive/c/ ... So, if you want to map your C: drive, your first part looks like:
So I need to install a Windows version of Cygwin and OpenSSH on my home computer to access files on the hard drive? Am I reading this correctly?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey qole!

So I need to install a Windows version of Cygwin and OpenSSH on my home computer to access files on the hard drive? Am I reading this correctly?

CopSSH sets up cygwin + openssh.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Okay!

Cool!

I already have that on my Desktop but haven't fired up the installation for it yet.

I was wondering why that was there.

Hey, someone who thought that they were "cooler" than you changed up your instructions.

I just followed what I was being told to do.

And yeah, I'm not using SSH to gain access to my computer.

I figure that there's nothing of interest on my hard drive anyway so no real reason for it to be encrypted or secured.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey, someone who thought that they were "cooler" than you changed up your instructions.

I just followed what I was being told to do.

And yeah, I'm not using SSH to gain access to my computer.

I figure that there's nothing of interest on my hard drive anyway so no real reason for it to be encrypted or secured.
SSH is where it's at.

CopSSH was actually the easiest part of the whole setup. Super straight-forward installer which does pretty much everything except activating the windoze acct you want to use.

|||EDIT

Well like I said, when I first got it all setup, I received a random incoming connection to my VNC server ... that was semi-scary.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
OK, I just totally revamped the guide (post #1).

It actually got bigger... 15,000 characters exactly!

I *think* I worked in everything I've learned about the subject.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-11 at 04:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the update!

If it weren't for this thread, I never would have had the guts to install all of this junk.

Hey, got any good suggestions on a poker site that I could use this with?

There's so many out there...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Instead of CopSSH you can install Cygwin. This yields you additional utilities, allowing you to configure your Windows machine more UNIX-like

With a full Cygwin environment you can be sure you can update to the latest OpenSSH version. My experience with 3rd party OpenSSH servers is that they are not kept up to date, or are abandoned. Also, you won't get conflicts with different cygwin.dll.

You can also use RDP (over SSH) instead of VNC. RDP is pretty efficient. I use NX (over SSH) and can use RDP/VNC from there (VNC for Mac).

VNC was made for on LANs. Not Internet. RDP and NX also have other advantages such as Sound, Printer, File Sharing support. And RDP server runs even when you are not logged in (as service).

SSHFS is neat, but I don't remember if it supports locking, nor do I remember about its efficiency. If your connection gets b0rked your shell will hang.

If you have the bandwidth, which by the sounds of it you do, simply set up a VPN (using e.g. OpenVPN) and call it a night. Everything will work as if you are on LAN. Downside is that there isn't an OpenVPN client for Symbian so I had to set up IPsec as well. [...]

You could use SSH, wget the torrent, and have e.g. rTorrent (or uTorrent, Vuze) watch ~/Desktop then there is no GUI required. Requires less bandwidth.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
allnameswereout:

Could you link to the NX or RDP clients for the tablets? That would be very helpful.

Another very helpful thing to do would be to start a new thread detailing how, step-by-step, someone could set up a VPN (with Windows) and then connect to it with their tablet.

Seriously. Be helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Well, VPN set up is quite a generic term.

OpenVPN should work on Windows Vista or Windows 7 http://snowulf.com/archives/622-Open...indows-7!.html

OpenVPN and Vista might have a problem with UAC as described here http://forums.untangle.com/openvpn/5...ate-works.html

NX client (Qtnx) howto https://wiki.evolvis.org/nx-mobile/index.php/Main_Page

Pyrdesktop howto http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=22716

Quick overview of differences between technologies http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=freenx

I know CopSSH is Cygwin based. As soon as you start using more 3rd party Cygwin applications you'll run in DLL hell. I know CopSSH is OpenSSH 5.2p, but my experience with previous OpenSSH ports for Windows is that they are abandoned. By using Cygwin you easily are able to keep your Cygwin software centralized and up to date, while allowing other UNIX utilities to be installed. Using wget to grab a torrent while logged in with Terminal is just one example.

I don't have a tablet right now, and I wouldn't use VPN on Windows, but the howto I used to set up OpenVPN was https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVPN

Also, RDP and NX clients do the resizing auto.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-09-20 at 10:53.

Tags
ssh tunnel, vnc, windows