Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
thanks for the info, they will come handy.

@ZehHa: I have ONLY RescoExplore, I will take a look with RescoBackup.
@Pushwall: First, the VfsErrVolumeFull indeed meant exactly like that, the SD-1 is full, after several trials of installation, left over junk files and filled up the space. I tried to install on SD-2, it defaulted to a trial version and I since had not been able to do the installation. I will reread your post on manual installation and try it over the weekend.

Two things, I took Javispedro's suggestion, wait a while before re-launch gvm, so far, it had NOT crashed even once. It has been goin on for 12 hrs now :-)

Epocrates installation is much more civilized by now. I have a mediocre palm browser called pocketlink. In pocketlink, you typed the website "get.epocrates.com", it will then dl the installer, setup.prc and you then install straight from your tablet. Works well for me.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-16 at 04:15.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I started the MerckManual demo install and followed it through until it told me to hotsync. I did not hotsync.
Hey Push and Bun!

Well, I know that I have the 5 minute clinical consult on my tablet as an offline, html file as well as a compiled html help file, though I can't get the second one to work with FB reader. I think the first one (which works perfect) weighs in at about 100 megs I believe.

I thought for sure I also had the Merck manual as an offline web folder as well but I can't seem to find it anywhere here at home. Maybe I need to look around some more.

Anyway, I'm over on the pediatric intensive care unit unit at Mott hospital (U of M) and we have something like 35 laptops available everywhere with Lexi-comp at hand. I've seen the price for Lexi-comp complete as much as $970.00 for a single user. Yikes!

So yeah, since having that resource free of use I've basically lost all interest as of late on getting any type of medical junk on my tablet.

I really should look into this some more because having that kind of information mobile is something I've always wanted to have.

I've browsed online and it seems like to me that I really need a Windows Mobile device, but if I can get that same type of crud on my tablet I'd rather stick to what I already have.

Anyway, what's your thoughts on this Bunanson? Should I start looking at getting another handheld device or am I just not using the tablet well enough?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
...Anyway, what's your thoughts on this Bunanson? Should I start looking at getting another handheld device or am I just not using the tablet well enough?
I think a drug book, epocrates, and any med txt, either 5MC or MerkManual, you only need one, that is all I would need. Both epocrates and 5MC stay firm on the SD card and works well with gvm. I would stick with the tablet. If I ever thought about any other PDA, palm is my choice. Good luck,

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
has anybody tried UpToDate yet?

I think a drug book, epocrates, and any med txt, either 5MC or MerkManual, you only need one, that is all I would need. Both epocrates and 5MC stay firm on the SD card and works well with gvm. I would stick with the tablet. If I ever thought about any other PDA, palm is my choice. Good luck,

bun
Heya Bun!

So I ended up getting a Palm that was basically gifted to me by my school since they ran out of funding to continue some handheld grant program that they had for us.

I actually like using a Tablet better though since the screen isn't so foggy like that with a non VGA Palm device.

Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing a deluxe bundle med app but it requires 99.6 MB of memory.

Would I be able to use this under Garnet VM if I went with the external memory card technique you guys were talking about?

Thanks ahead chief!

...Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing a deluxe bundle med app but it requires 99.6 MB of memory.

Would I be able to use this under Garnet VM if I went with the external memory card technique you guys were talking about?...
I think gvm storage heap is limited to 64 Mb. Anyhow, it also depends how the installation go. Why dont you give it a shot?

Stick in a formatted SD
xterm
$ mkdir ~/.gvm/cards
$ echo -e "/media/mmc1\nRW" > ~/.gvm/cards/0

This will make slot1 on mmc1 (extSD), and perhaps, copy the entire deluxe bundle med app on to /media/mmc1/PALM/Launcher. Sometimes an app will launch by clicking the .prc, sometime it may require dumping the .prc into gvm ram. In the former case, you,.maybe (a big if), able to ignore the 99.6 Mb limit. Zlauncher has everything you need for the manuever. Post back, good luck.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Greetings Bun!

I've been working on this challenge for the last two days but I seem to be running into a little trouble on this.

I'm not quite sure where to copy my files.

Here's a screenshot:

I do have
media/mmc2/Palm/Launcher
but that's all.

So two questions. How should I transfer all of the files for PediSuite 7.0 as an example and how can I create more storage cards?

Should it be media/mmc2/Palm/Launcher/PediSuite 7.0/ and in that folder there would be PediSuite 7.0 the appl along with the Databases and Saved Prefs folder?

Thanks a ton!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Should it be media/mmc2/Palm/Launcher/PediSuite 7.0/ and in that folder there would be PediSuite 7.0 the appl along with the Databases and Saved Prefs folder?
Addison, try this:
media/mmc2/Palm/Programs/PediSuite 7.0/

Hopefully Bun knows all the stuff that you should copy there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Actually, it would be great if I could back up the whole gvm.store to one of the Slot Cards, but I don't think that's possible, correct?

Well, while we're waiting to hear from Bunanson, I thought I'd post a little trick I've been using on my end.

I've got a perfect gvm.store, about 60 megs, that never gets corrupted.

How I'm doing this is by crashing Garnet on purpose instead of hoping it doesn't crash on me first.

If Garnet encounters a segmentation fault, the program shuts down thereby removing any opportunity for it to write over itself.

Two benefits from this:
-You'll never get a corruption again because it's not writing anything to the memory card or the gvm.store.
-You can immediately fire Garnet back up without any troubles. No more having to wait the typical 2 to 3 minutes before running it again.

Only downside is that since it's not writing anything to your memory card, you're not able to update any information inside it.

Not a problem for me since I'm only using Garnet as an information resource.

The program I'm using to cause the segmentation fault is the 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2009, but it also works with the 5-Minute Emergency Consult as well as the 5-Minute Pediatric Consult.

From the main index, just type a single letter in the search field, and you're done.

I know it doesn't sound sexy, but hey, it definitely gives you the peace of mind exited out of Garnet this way.

I'm skipping the whole main emulator by launching straight from
/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a lnch

Also, I'm launching it with Xkbd as well even though it's not really that necessary. It's just quicker using that rather than the graffiti keyboard.

Oh wow, my first contribution to a thread in over a year. *lol*

Ah crappers!

I just realized that by crashing Garnet this way one can use trial versions of software without ever having to worry about it expiring since data never gets updated that you've used it.

Now I feel dirty for even mentioning this.

Tags
garnet, palm