Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by hyartep View Post
(the same way you could in the past buy multi-processor workstation, with only one cpu working, another cpu(s) where only functional after "upgrade", even if it was only sw upgrade)
iirc, IBM used a similar "trick" with their server products.

wanted to upgrade to more cpus or something? they send over a tech to move a jumper to enable said cpus...

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
We will be supporting on-board HSPA i.e. both HSDPA and HSUPA.
What about voice support? I really, really hate carrying both a tablet and a phone. A tablet + a headset would be much better...

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
...never did i encounter a website , blog, review indicating that this hardware is about to become obsolete..
That's because your hardware isn't about to become obsolete.

All we're seeing now is a pre-alpha of part of the new software. The new hardware won't be out for ages. Who knows? Six months, nine months, a year? There are going to be loads and loads more N810s sold before the new hardware comes out.

So enjoy your N810!

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kortsi View Post
What about voice support? I really, really hate carrying both a tablet and a phone. A tablet + a headset would be much better...
Nokia has stated that the first iteration will not have voice calls, but VOIP is always possible. They left it open to voice later, but it was not clear to me whether that will be a hardware or software issue.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
I am a new user of these nokia tablets.
3 weeks ago i finally bit the bullet and decided to buy the n810. IT cost me almost 500.00 after taxes
then a week and a half ago they release the wimax edition. .
I go and i look at the nokia website for the tradeup program and all i can get for my tablet now is 120 american dollars.

Now i am reading on this board (which by the way is top notch) that the next version of the software will come out but will not be supported by the current tablets hardware..
Apart from the fact that i am loving every minute with the tablet, I can't help feeling dupped in everyway.. sure i might have been one of the last ppl reading these forums to purchase a nokia tablet , late , way late in the game but there has to be some understanding from the manufacturer.. If not a promise of future compatibility with the hardware , atleast one hell of a price break on thier "old and soon to be outdated hardware"...

as for the researching of this device .. i exhausted myself learning as much as possible on the features.. but never did i encounter a website , blog, review indicating that this hardware is about to become obsolete..
But, it's not obsolete if it still does what you bought it for...

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following User Says Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
No, I said it like the community (the part of it able to do it, so I'm not included) is very small and it has even less resources and free time (which maybe could be better used to improve the debian port and tap into an immensely bigger community).
I highly doubt your supposition is true.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
...And do you now believe that they've lived up to that promise?
No, qole, I do not. Did the content of my post say I did?

If we're going to revile Nokia for not providing official support, we should at least do it accurately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
.. i exhausted myself learning as much as possible on the features.. but never did i encounter a website , blog, review indicating that this hardware is about to become obsolete..
That's because, as others have pointed out: it isn't.

A new device does not make your current one cease to work.

New firmware does not cause your current OS to expire.

Since the N810WE just came out, it and the regular N810 can look forward to at least another year's official support and who-knows-how-much unofficial (community) support.

I have to say I am extremely frustrated with the abuse of the word "obsolete". I wish people would throttle down a bit.

EDIT: the proper term you're looking for is supersede(d). But don't worry; I used to work with documentation professionals who confused the two every day.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-12-08 at 22:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Show me where in the alpha SDK source is the code to read N800 battery level or to control charging of battery, , or please, please, please, stop this talk about "community porting Fremantle to N800/N810".

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I've asked about that and was told that it will be possible to provide a binary to return the battery information for use in the Diablo-on-steroids/Fremantle effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: