Active Topics

I released Autolock 0.3.1, which fixes this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
Is there some trick to getting autolock to work or are there any incompatibilities with it and other apps? I installed it, and even reboot my 810 and it doesn't seem to do anything. I can see the process running in 'ps' (xterm), and can see the enable/disable info banners when using the lock switch. I know my meter is reading 0, and the keyboard isnt open but still no auto locking.

I must be missing something here.
Same here!

Are you running 0.3.1? Have you tried using it in a well lit area (it won't work in the dark)?

Can you run these two commands with the light sensor uncovered and covered (with your thumb or something) and the keyboard opened and closed (use the onscreen keyboard):
Code:
cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0029/lux
cat /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state
and let me know what you get?

Thanks.

Firstly, thanks Dusty for this application. It works under Diablo just as before.

FYI, I find that if I cover the sensor with my thumb in any bright light, especially daylight, then it will not turn off. I have to actually put it in the Nokia cover for it to activate. I presume some light still travells through the skin and keeps it alive.

I always partially slide the tablet into the cover and wait for the notification to appear before finally pushing all the way in.

Just occasionally it gets confused and I need to reboot to reset it. Usually when I have had to use the slider on the top because I want to view in near darkness (or maybe I'm the one getting confused in this case?)

Make sure you re-enable Autolock after using the lock slider. Breifly shining a flashlight at the sensor or opening and closing the keyboard (after enabling Autolock) should fix it if it gets confused in the dark. The only way I know of to confuse it is to disable it in the light and enable in the dark (or vice versa). Please let me know if you find another repeatable way to confuse the latest version.

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:
Ah-Ha, it was ME getting confused. The conditions you describe do confuse it and that was what happened. Thanks for this clarification and quick fix.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
This is a great little daemon, works flawlessly with the N810's standard pouch!

As others have said, so simple, as all the best ideas are.

Autolock has immediately made using my tablet a much more pleasant experience. Nokia take note please.

Thank you Dusty!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Great application its very useful. Last night though, the NIT would lock based on where my head was turned to (related to light input). I think its a bit too sensitive, or maybe the sensitivity should be different during night? In any case, this kind of application makes a device a little bit more user-friendly, and I love that.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
i just found this app. Can't believe I missed it. It should be built into the tablet by default. I have one requuest, when I have my N810 hooked up in my car at night, it locks. Would it be possible disable autolock when powered, and then re-enable it loses power?

To work around it I just use the slider lock, but then that defeats the purpose of the app.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
i just found this app. Can't believe I missed it. It should be built into the tablet by default. I have one requuest, when I have my N810 hooked up in my car at night, it locks. Would it be possible disable autolock when powered, and then re-enable it loses power?

To work around it I just use the slider lock, but then that defeats the purpose of the app.
Interesting idea! I'd quite like to see this feature too, ideally as a toggle, something along the lines of the Control Panel Display applet option "Display stays lit: Never / When charging," maybe even reading this value as it's input...

Tags
autolock, light sensor