Active Topics

Notices

What format will be the best to convert from, with regards to the final quality?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
It's always best to use as high resolutions source as possible, although that probably affecs negatively to the encoding speed.

As a sidenote, I have updated the install to 0.41, which fixes the 2nd pass status line issue.

I've now updated te windows version to 0.5. New feature is the support for destination directory, so that you can e.g. convert straight you your nokia 770.

The app is now getting cluttered and I'm thinking about moving some of the options to a preferences dialog.

Ok, updated it again. Now support for up to 512kbps video (apparently 770 supports that up to 800 kbps, but I suppose 512 should be enough). Video is now in autoaspect mode, so there is also a new resolution on 288x160, which according to maemo FAQ provides good results ( http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEnco...ht=%28video%29 ) . So, you might want to try it out and give some feedback on your experiences.

Awesome...works for me on OS X, though it took a bit of trying. If anybody else runs into the same problems I did (Jar Launcher craps out when trying to open it, even after updating to the latest Java), it might be because, even though you've got Java 2 SE 5.0 (J2SE 5.0), which is what you need, you've also got J2SE 1.4.2 (or some other version) hanging out. Apparently the default behavior is to keep 1.4.2 as the default runtime environment. To fix that, go to /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0 and open up Java Preferences.app, then swap the order of J2SE 5.0 and J2SE 1.4.2 under "Java Application Runtime Settings" in the "General" tab.

Like I said, the above worked for me, anyway, but I don't know how unique my setup is.

Yes, that's how it should be don Shonk. It took a while for me to figure out that too.

Here's a tip: with the samples I made, I get the best results if I use QT Pro to export the .mov trailer to .DV (warning: file becomes big) then, use Media Converter to convert the .dv it to .avi.

I updated the osx version instructions based on Shonks info. Is that ok with you shonk?

Greetings,

I posted in the appdb , that the OSX version runs under linux as well. You need to take care to run it with the Sun JRE, but it seems to work fine.

The appdb entry should be updated, along with the readme in the next release.

Mike

Oh, nice to hear that it's working on linux as well. And thanks for putting the instructions on how to install it on linux. I put the code in the jar for handling the Linux os as well, but as I didn't have the possibility at the time to do testing on linux I just thought not to mention it at all. The jar file is the same windows, linux and osx. Now, if I just have the time, I'll make same sort of zip for linux as well and bundle the mencoder there. Perhaps some sort of shell script could handle the correct way of calling the java engine on varied distributions. Any ideas on how to approach the issue of making such a script?

Originally Posted by konttori
Perhaps some sort of shell script could handle the correct way of calling the java engine on varied distributions. Any ideas on how to approach the issue of making such a script?
That's a reasonable and non-intrustive way to handle the issue. Presuming that Sun places the java binary the same place across different distro's and packaging methods, this should work:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java -jar MediaConverter.jar
Maybe other folks won't have this problem, it seems weird to me that the JRE installer doesn't put the java binary in the path anywhere and it may be an artifact of my having GNU java installed already. But you could note the situation, include the script, and see what bug reports and suggestions come in.

Mike

Mike