How does one get out of Rockbox on an N800, short of rebooting ?... :-)

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Player seems highly functional (since it is ported desktop app) but I would love to get better skin though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Does it support portrait mode?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Installed it, started, killed and deinstalled it again. Sorry but the UI is just as horrible as I remembered it. Virtually every menu and submenu seems to have it's own system of navigation...

This software clearly is not meant to be used by me, neither on N900 nor on iriver or iPod...

The Following User Says Thank You to Venty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
One thing I miss from the stock media player is the ability to open the keyboard and type to search the name of the song or artist you want to listen to. Can it be done?
I don't know how good the keyboard support is in rockbox, if at all. But I guess we can improve the touchscreen interface a lot.

Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
And can it support portrait mode?
With the current SDL graphics backend, unlikely. It should be doable to create a portrait mode only theme + remap the keyboard.

Originally Posted by borghal View Post
Back then Rockbox couldn't read album art from mp3/ogg tags and apparently this doesn't work with this port right now. Will it ever work or do I have to create cover.bmp's like in the (good) old days?
Yes, embedded album art has to be extracted:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AlbumArt

There are tools to automate this It also reads .jpg files.

The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjfox For This Useful Post:
great so far, my first time using rockbox in any flavor. the menu is a bit deep for my tastes but maybe its cause im new to it.

is there anyway to set it to *not* display the next track. i listen to a lot of live music and would rather not know whats next.

also the volume was set to -24 dB or something like that. was this default or was it matched to the n900 output stage?

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
great so far, my first time using rockbox in any flavor. the menu is a bit deep for my tastes but maybe its cause im new to it.

is there anyway to set it to *not* display the next track. i listen to a lot of live music and would rather not know whats next.

also the volume was set to -24 dB or something like that. was this default or was it matched to the n900 output stage?
This is all highly configurable (except for the menu system, which is so deep because of all the options)

The next track display depends on the theme, I guess you could alter the default one as there are probably no n900 specific themes available right now.

The volume setting is a safe default one, as rockbox normally runs on the hardware directly, and as such controls the absolute volume

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
why it doesn't suppot gb2312 to make chinese words viewable

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
For rockbox specific issues that are not related to the n900 port itself (yes, I know this is sometimes hard to define), please check the wiki and forum on http://rockbox.org

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:

Tags
audiophile, rockbox