Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@pantera1989 - don't worry about the patriotic portion of my post.

I hate it when folks bring deep-rooted and wholly unnecessarily existing feelings about one country versus another. I guess being born in one country, raised in another and lived in 4 others... I'm just happy at the moment to have enough room for a garden, the ability to openly talk about the stuff I love - gadgets - and have surrounded myself by folks that know typically more than I do.

Patriotism is a wasted emotion in my books.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

It's 2010. Hell, I use my Motorola Droid to operate my VLC player via touchscreen like a remote control over my home wifi. I've seen apps on it to do the same for Tivo, Roku, MythTV and so on. IR is so 20th century.

HSDP is a promise, not a feature and the FM transmitter sounds wonky from the accounts I'm reading lately. The FM transmitter seems like a waste of circuitry, considering they should have concentrated on excellent Bluetooth HSP/A2DP. Speaking of 20th century. Heh... FM transmitter. :P
I think it depends on your use cases. For example, I use my IR and FM Transmitter quite often. And there are or places cars that don't have bluetooth or an AUX input. And I can't use any WiFi capable device to control my XBOX 360 when I don't want to turn on the controller. Likewise my TV for the one and blue moon I ever turn it on (I have a 360 hooked up to an LCD monitor).

The TV Out is definantly dependent on that too. While having some sort of HDMI output would be nice, it would only work on one TV in my house, and when I travel I may or may not be able to use it depending on the hotel I stay in. While most HDTVs do have composite as backwards compatibility for devices like the Wii that don't have it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
They ever fix how you cannot use the FM transmitter while charging the phone?

Nokia never did, but you can.. FM Transmitter widget, or QWERTY12's FM transmitter.so file that puts it permantely in the menu. It even auto FM boosts it for you if you have it installed.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

To me, that's the way to go...

Because Nokia does not have enough good apps to keep Maemo/Meego, and Nokia does not know how to get developers interested. Plus, the touch screen is not so responsive --- reason: OS/software.

Android is the way to go.

N900; Maemo 5 PR 1.2

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
@pantera1989 - don't worry about the patriotic portion of my post.

I hate it when folks bring deep-rooted and wholly unnecessarily existing feelings about one country versus another. I guess being born in one country, raised in another and lived in 4 others... I'm just happy at the moment to have enough room for a garden, the ability to openly talk about the stuff I love - gadgets - and have surrounded myself by folks that know typically more than I do.

Patriotism is a wasted emotion in my books.
Didn't you remember, nationalism is a kind of mental illness. Many evil things were done under that name.

N900; Maemo 5 PR 1.2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ljmt01 For This Useful Post:
Can someone make an alternative blog to that one released, as if it was written by one of those tech-bloggers. I know MeeGo has many strengths and many weaknesses against Android, but that article didn't even mention them (the major one's). This should stop trolling some, even by those so-called gurus.

no but they should make both

The Following User Says Thank You to superg05 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
no but they should make both
I would love a dual booting device (I'm hoping the N900 will become one.. or a triple booting one).

Maemo/Meego for the computer like tasks (running OpenOffice, easy Debian, etc..).

Android for when I need a smartphone with GPS aware apps, etc..

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by ljmt01 View Post
To me, that's the way to go...

Because Nokia does not have enough good apps to keep Maemo/Meego, and Nokia does not know how to get developers interested. Plus, the touch screen is not so responsive --- reason: OS/software.

Android is the way to go.
The problem with Android is Nokia would became just another hardware vendor. Nokia like Apple wants to tie software, hardware and serives together - they cannot do that with Android. Google wants to do software and services only but there model is getting muddy with Android on Netbooks and large tablets where it wasn't meant to be.

MeeGo is a smart move. They fix Google's problem by having references for NetBook, tablets and phones. QT ties them all together and you get to expand on a base that's been maturing for years.