Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon

They already made a der untergang parody (subtitles) about the iphone 4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v35vau9IT4

Worth watching

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by khuong View Post
I see the other way around, i am still having three broken iphone in garages, and it took that many broken iphone to finally steer my wife away from apple products. Fortunately she did.
How were they broken?

I've literally bought some 2 dozens iPhones over the years and only one of them had a problem, which was promptly replaced by Apple.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post

They already made a der untergang parody (subtitles) about the iphone 4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v35vau9IT4

Worth watching
"I even bought that leaked iPhone 5 case! They said a 98% chance of probability!"

"Find that German speaking Asian!!!"

LMAO.
Though he's got several spelling and grammar errors. And the timing of the subtitle to voice/scene isn't always responsive.
And at the end "Our only hope is the iPad 3 now....It damn better be absorbent" should've followed with a "Sir, Windows 8 will be released before it".

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
How were they broken?

I've literally bought some 2 dozens iPhones over the years and only one of them had a problem, which was promptly replaced by Apple.
One was fried when plugged in the car charger, one was dropped from the pocket to ground and the front class was shattered like a broken winshield, and one has broken pin in charging connector.

Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Kinda lukewarm, meh device. The Siri stuff is interesting thou. Would it be possible to make something like this for Maemo? An open source voice recognition software does not need an A5 core IHMO.
There are very little open source voice recognition options. You do have some closed alternatives.
On the desktop you have Nuance NaturallySpeaking for windows and mac. And it does require a fast system. The Android and iOS options use server-side solution to do the hard work (afaik).

Simple command recognition is much older, and does not require much CPU (My Philips Nino 500 running windows CE 2.11 did that for example). Siri promises very contextual aware recognition, with deep OS integration, a huge (server side) database of commands AND dictation option. If it does works well, than it is a killer application (Star Trek style voice control).

I don't think an open source alternative will be ready. Maybe an alternative with Nuance Naturally Speaking running on your own server, doing the really hard stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
It's too bad this phone doesn't support 1700 MHz UMTS; Apple could have supported 3G for all four major U.S. providers. In November, an unlocked GSM-only 4S will be available for $650 US. With T-Mobile pre-paid plans that would have been very enticing.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Apple iPhones maybe enticing for me but I certainly wouldn't want to buy a phone/device where Apple could track me down should I jailbreak my iPhone and be religiously taught the bad effects of jailbreaking.

Nor would I want to buy an iPhone where they will implement a feature to prevent live shows being recorded from the device itself.

Apple did file a patent for tracking for your info. The last thing you want is for your jailbroken iPhone to be tracked down and be lectured once they fully implement that functionality.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Apple iPhones maybe enticing for me but I certainly wouldn't want to buy a phone/device where Apple could track me down should I jailbreak my iPhone and be religiously taught the bad effects of jailbreaking.

Nor would I want to buy an iPhone where they will implement a feature to prevent live shows being recorded from the device itself.

Apple did file a patent for tracking for your info. The last thing you want is for your jailbroken iPhone to be tracked down and be lectured once they fully implement that functionality.
Does all that self-generated FUD make you full?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Does all that self-generated FUD make you full?
Originally Posted by Apple Files for Patent to Disable Jailbroken iPhones
Sorry if its a re-post:

Apple has applied for a patent covering various methods for identifying and disabling unauthorized use — including jailbreaking and other hacks — of electronic devices, such as its popular iPhone and iPad products. Although the U.S. government has legally authorized the jailbreaking (i.e. running code that gives users access to extensions and themes that Apple has not approved, as well as use carriers that are not supported by Apple) of iPhones and other electronic devices for “educational purposes,” it seems that Apple is determined to gain further control over said devices.

Currently, the Cupertino, California-based tech company automatically revokes its warranty on all iPhones that have been subject to jailbreaking and other hacks. The patent, which was filed in February and published on Thursday, primarily focuses on measures for identifying stolen devices and protecting the kinds of sensitive information, such as credit card numbers and passwords, stored on those devices. Upon learning that a customer’s iPhone has been stolen, for instance, sensitive data stored on that customer’s device could be sent to one of Apple’s remote storage servers and then erased entirely from the phone. However, the patent also covers methods for identifying devices that have been hacked, jailbroken, unlocked or had their SIM cards removed, such as monitoring sudden increases in memory usage that could “indicate that a hacking program is being run and that an unauthorized user may be using the electronic device.”
Theoretically, Apple could then wipe personal data from these devices and then alert AT&T to “shutdown any telephone service to the electronic device, shutdown the electronic device itself, or otherwise suitably extract the functions of the electronic device.” In other words, the system described in the patent allow Apple to effectively kill jailbroken devices under the guise of protecting customers from theft, since it may not be able to determine whether a device has been stolen or if it is being willingly jailbroken by users.

Regards,
Dan.
Source: here

That solves one FUD, and now to the other..
Originally Posted by Could Apple Stop You Filming Concerts With Your iPhone or iPad?
The UK’s Daily Mail newspaper reports on a patent application filed by Apple 18 months ago and unearthed by The Times newspaper this week, which it says aims to stop you from using your iPhone or iPad to film concerts. Apparently the software would sense when someone was trying to record a concert event on their iPhone, triggering infra-red sensors that had been pre-installed at the venue, and simply switch of the phone’s camera to prevent filming. According to The Mail, the software outlined in the patent application would be so precise that it could switch off your phone’s camera, but leave all the other functions and apps fully working, so you would still be able to make calls or text with your phone, just not use the camera.

Anyone who has been to a concert recently will know that it has turned into a sea of smartphone screens held aloft towards the stage, and I even saw an iPad held up at the front of a huge stadium gig in London last week, but The Mail says that the sometimes obstructed view is not the main reason that Apple is thinking about disabling iPhone cameras at concerts, and that the real impetus behind the move comes as a result of complaints by broadcasters that HD-quality videos of events that they have brought exclusive broadcasting rights to are appearing on YouTube. Or, The Mail says, Apple could even be thinking of charging people to film concerts. Of course the patent may never even see the light of day, it’s just one of many applications that Apple files all the time.
Source: here

How were they broken?

about 700 bucks * 24 = about 16800

I will ask the 17 thousand dollar question.

You have had 24 iphones, and none of them were ever damaged in any way? Does not compute. Care to elaborate? Why so many iphones, man?

I'm guessing you resold them or something. Do you know for sure they're all still alive?

Tags
applecare++, ip4++, yawn++