Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
With maemo 5 being more mainstream i am not sure if people really will need this video site. I am not saying dont do it..... but wait and see until after the release and decide.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
With maemo 5 being more mainstream i am not sure if people really will need this video site. I am not saying dont do it..... but wait and see until after the release and decide.
A good point. Getting the requirements, infrastructure and - say - the existing tablet school videos online under maemo.org in the correct structure is a good starting point. But with the future of existing Maemo devices being Mer, and future devices being Maemo 5/6; videos created now could date very quickly.

Anyway, I agree with what Reggie suggests: come up with a functional requirement and the technical experts can tell/help you deliver it in the best way possible in the shortest time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the feedback everyone.

From what I can gather, people here want:

-No filtering process because that would restrict people's ability to contribute

-No quality control

-No videos because they would date too quickly

-No tutorials for beginners because the new version of Maemo will be so easy to use

...the only conclusion that I can draw from that is that people don't want the Tablet School to return at all, because it was based entirely around these four things.

Except she seems to want to waste energy developing a new tool that would fragment the documentation efforts and cost paid employees time and effort better spent elsewhere when we already have a perfectly suitable existing tool in place
Okay, I'm obviously not required here at all. Apologies for wasting everyone's time.

You've got everything in hand, and a wiki like this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Users

featuring articles like this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware
http://wiki.maemo.org/Podcasts
http://wiki.maemo.org/Batteries

is obviously the best way to help beginners use their Maemo device.

If that's the case then I can't help Maemo at all, because I've got this misguided idea that sites aimed at beginners should be built around the needs of beginners and not just be repositories of general documentation.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-02 at 11:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Incidentally I was NOT calling for "a whole new content tool" to be created.

I was just asking for something that is laid out like the current existing Downloads page to be set up, and used as a way to organise pages with videos on.

Whatever technology that uses doesn't matter, whether it's wiki-based or whatever, as long as it looks and behaves identically to the current Downloads section, and as long as it cannot be edited by anyone but the admins.

To use an analogy the current Wiki is more like a library, whereas what I'm calling for is like a series of lessons. The clue is in the name, Maemo School.

Imagine you went to a school to learn something new and they just plonked a load of text books on the table on the assumption that there's lots of useful information in them, so that must be the same thing as a lesson.

I just don't get why there couldn't be a separate Maemo School in one part of the site, and a separate Maemo Wiki in another part. Why the heck should they be merged when they're serving two totally different purposes?

This idea that it would take lots of work to set up a Maemo School section is total bulls..t. I've already set up a video tutorial site and the actual page setup takes no time at all. I can't believe the CMS on maemo.org would make it challenging to basically just clone the existing Downloads front end.

And don't talk to me about wasting the time of "paid employees".

It's the videos that take 95% of the time to do on a Tablet School style site, and if I'm willing to put my UNPAID time to doing the videos, the least I could expect from the maemo.org is that they can do the remaining 5%.

If I did do these videos for maemo.org there wouldn't even be any adsense ads to earn me a few pennies. I would be doing the work free, gratis, for nothing. But apparently no good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-02 at 12:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
And another thing.

Could all the people shooting down my ideas about doing tutorials for beginners post the tutorials they've written and videoed for beginners?

I can post my list right here:

Important Announcements

- Web pages on the N800 or N810 distorted and slow? Try switching off the "Fit Width To View" option
- Has your tablet web browser's Flash stopped working? Does it ask you to install Flash? In fact, all you need to do is switch Flash back on again, which is a very very easy process. Click here to find out how to do it.
- Want to make your battery last longer? Do NOT switch off your tablet. Yes, it sounds crazy, but it works...
- Do you use the built-in memory card on the N810? If so, read this.

About The Internet Tablets

- What are Internet Tablets? Why would anyone want one?
- More about the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition
- More about the Nokia N810
- More about the Nokia N800
- More about the Nokia 770

Connecting The Tablets To The Internet

- How to connect the N800 and N810 to the internet using Wi-Fi / WLAN.
- How to connect the N800 and N810 to the internet using a mobile phone (cell phone).
- How to use the N800 and N810 with Fon routers (La Foneras)

Setting Up And Customising The Tablets

- How to update the N800 and N810 firmware, how to back up data and settings, and how to upgrade the N800 to OS 2008
- How to use the built-in help system on the N800 and N810
- How to customise the desktop and interface on the N800 and N810
- How to change the desktop wallpaper on the N800 and N810
- How to find and install extra themes on the N800 and N810
- How to switch the N800 and N810 "night light" on or off
- How to save battery life on the N800 and N810
- How to lock the touchscreen and keys on the N800 and N810

Tablet Accessories

- Which memory cards to use with the N800
- What comes with the N810, and how you can replace anything that's missing
- What comes with the N800, and how you can replace anything that's missing
- How to connect and use a wireless Bluetooth keyboard on the N800 or N810
- How to connect and use a normal computer keyboard on the N800 or N810
- How to connect and use a wireless Bluetooth headset on the N800 or N810
- How to connect and use a USB flash drive with the N800 or N810
- How to connect and use a Hard Disk Drive with the N800 or N810
- How to crochet a lovely pouch for the N800 or N810

Using The Tablets For Internet Stuff

- How to use the web browser on the N800 and N810
- How to use e-mail (including Gmail) on the N800 and N810
- Web pages on the N800 or N810 distorted and slow? Try switching off the "Fit Width To View" option
- Has your tablet web browser's Flash stopped working? Click here to find out how to fix it (and it's very very very easy to fix!).
- How to make and receive free and cheap phone calls using Skype on the N800 and N810
- How to make and receive free video calls over the internet using the N800 and N810
- How to listen to internet radio stations on the N800 and N810
- How to use the RSS Feed Reader to view the latest stories on your favourite websites

Using The Tablets For Other Stuff

- How to find and install new applications and games on the N800 and N810
- How to easily add a calendar (and a to-do list, and a load of other apps) onto the N800 and N810
- How to connect the N800 and N810 to a computer using the USB cable
- How to use the File Manager on the N800 and N810
- How to unzip .zip files on the N800 and N810
- Word processing on the N800 and N810
- Games on the N800 and N810
- How to turn the N800 or N810 into a digital camera
- How to activate the secret built-in FM radio on the N800
- How to convert, transfer and watch videos and movies on your N800 or N810
- How to use the N800 or N810 as an alarm clock
- How to draw pictures and email them using Sketch on your N800 or N810
- How to make the N800 or N810 look and sound like a "PADD" computer from Star Trek

Useful Websites

- Google Documents: an online word processor which you can use on both your PC and tablet, and which stores your documents online
- Last.fm: lets you discover classic and new music by creating your own personal internet radio station and choosing a theme for it. It's one of the most addictive sites on the internet, and you can also access the service through tablet applications such as Canola and Vagalume.
- YouTube: a site where you can watch millions of videos through the N800 and N810 web browser

Useful Applications

- Canola: Two special editorial articles introduce a new kind of interface for the Nokia tablets - Click here for Part 1 & Video - Click here for Part 2
- Xournal: A pen and paper simulator which is very handy for taking notes and doing sketches. You can turn your work into PDF files which can be e-mailed to others or viewed on your PC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...the only conclusion that I can draw from that is that people don't want the Tablet School to return at all, because it was based entirely around these four things.

Okay, I'm obviously not required here at all. Apologies for wasting everyone's time.
[snip]

[The rather sparse wiki] is obviously the best way to help beginners use their Maemo device.

If that's the case then I can't help Maemo at all, because I've got this misguided idea that sites aimed at beginners should be built around the needs of beginners and not just be repositories of general documentation.

[snip]

And another thing.

Could all the people shooting down my ideas about doing tutorials for beginners post the tutorials they've written and videoed for beginners?

I can post my list right here:
A quick read through and it seems to me you have a vast amount to contribute and the arrogance(?) to say "My way or nothing"

Shame really.

Would hurt your pride too much to *try* and make the existing wiki work?

Throw some pointers up to those tutorials and I'll volunteer to help you wikify them.

Originally Posted by lbt View Post
A quick read through and it seems to me you have a vast amount to contribute and the arrogance(?) to say "My way or nothing"
It's not "my way or nothing" it's "my way or the way of someone else who is writing tutorials for beginners".

I would love to hear from someone else who has written Maemo tutorials aimed at beginners, and exchange ideas on how best this could be done.

The problem is that no one seems to be doing this at all.

You talk about arrogance, but how arrogant is it to complain about something without creating an alternative?

How arrogant is it to say "something must be done" but then fail to do it yourself?

There is NOTHING to stop people doing what I did. If they think they can do it better, that's great, go ahead and do it.

But if you don't do it then nothing happens at all, good or bad.

Would hurt your pride too much to *try* and make the existing wiki work?
I think you're misunderstanding the situation here.

I did Tablet School on my own, the way I saw fit, in my own time. The reason I did this was precisely because the existing forms of online documentation (including maemo.org) weren't good enough IMHO.

Instead of just whining about how poor the existing documentation was for beginners, I set out to actually do something about it by providing a better alternative.

I was then invited to contribute Tablet School's contents to maemo.org, so that beginners would have somewhere to go on the site.

I posted on here asking for feedback on whether other people would like to contribute, and what form the new school would take.

Throw some pointers up to those tutorials and I'll volunteer to help you wikify them.
I am not volunteering for all-purpose duties helping Maemo, I'm here offering to restart Tablet School as part of maemo.org.

If you are happy with the existing Wiki, and if you think the principles by which Tablet School site ran were misguided, then there is nothing I can offer the site.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-02 at 12:45.

Looking at this empirically, if the wiki is such a better way to do tutorials for beginners, why is it that the wiki is still useless for beginners?

My answer would be that beginners guides aren't suitable for the wiki format, because beginners do better with guides written using a consistent style and format.

Wikis are great at collecting knowledge, but they are poor at serving a specific target audience.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
If the maemo web site is also geared towards the masses who will hopefully purchase some device running the maemo platform, then I think that Krisse is right. The current wiki does not respond to the needs of beginners who just want to be able to use the software and do some basic stuff, not become root or modify CSS.

If on the other hand the web site is only for developers and geeks, then it is about time to think about another dedicated site. I would think nobody really wants this.

It is not intuitive that the wiki should be under 'Community'. Consider a section of How-to or something similar with subsections of School and other materials.

Also I believe that the tone of some posts are aggressive and not constructive. If contributors with a strong background in content development and very specific experience are welcomed this way, many will keep at bay.

Regards,
Antonio

The Following User Says Thank You to noventa98 For This Useful Post:
I think we need some sort of mockup or proof of concept maemo school created to wiki. Maemo school can be completely separate and wiki is used only as a tool.

Tags
video howto, video tutorial