Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Map-View
  • maplayer - Left one has 3 transparancy levels and is my favourite, ...
+1

10 chars

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by olf View Post
These are all gorgeous, I simply vote "Yes to all".

Two ideas:
IMO the meaning of the "offline only" icons becomes clearer, if the triangles point to a bar ("barring / stopping it"), i.e.
I hoped they already look inactive enough. Lets see waht rinigus says regarding the possibility to show the icon of the current profile before trying further. Else a whole other attempt is needed to show profile change in one icon, not three.

I do not comprehend, why the line width of the bubble in the "nearby" icons is not constant.
Eagle eye Now i see it too. Will try to correct.

I assume the bubble in the "nearby" icons is lacking a dot in its centre, because the "nearby" search can be applied to any location on the map
correct, i simply resized and redrew "marker_stroked" which is used in puremaps to show poi (and destination?) on map.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Map-View
  • nearby - left one is with circles touching the poi marker, right one has a spacing in between. I think i favour the left one because all other map-view icons are without spacing between elements
The spacing is also present in the Kirigami version of the "nearby" icon (but not in the SFOS version)!
And it looks nice and more modern, though it is just a small visual difference, which many may not perceive.

But whatever you ultimately choose, please make the spacing (or not) consistent for all three icons (an aspect you already denoted).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
I hoped they already look inactive enough. ..
They do not "look inactive enough" to me, i.e. I had to compare them to the "active / online" icons and "mixed mode" icons to ultimately understand them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
wow that's feedback now, thanx a lot.

regarding the online offline icon: Maybe if the triangles of offline mode point to the middle it's more clear.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Morning! I would expect that we can change the icon for profile accordingly. It may need some adjustments, but should be no bigger issue. Let me check and then come back. Thank you all!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
As expected, multiple profile icons can be used already and its easy to plug them in.

I'll reply / comment using the same outline as in https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=537

Kirigami:

All icons provided by application and used in application menus are considered as a fallback icons. Thus, they are used if the current theme icons don't have any icons with the same name. As a result, application-specific icons (nearby, routo-to, ...) are the ones that we provide, the generic ones (search) are the ones provided by theme. But we do need a full set to be working as expected.

The icons used on the map directly are different story - they need to have colors changed and I decided to keep them out of the theme-provided list. So, all icons in the middle of the screenshot in @mosen post will go in (selected versions).

No comments regarding search/nearby/route - looking great! Profile offline and out of the box: what about using storage icon? Although, mixed will then be screwed. I am fine with any choice though.

General: nearby icon as epicenter seems indeed more common => easier to recognize.

Map-View:

Let's base then the left stack

Question regarding route icon. Should we use route-to and route-from only? So, no route icon version with pointer in the middle, as we had earlier (bottom right at https://mosushi.de/misc/puremaps/overview7.png)?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
sorry for not quoting, typing on xa2.
spacing consistency imo will never be 100% because:

- Sailfish icons do contrast between elements by distinct transparency, 100% and 60%. Any added spacing will look awkward compared to other sfos icons.

- Kirigami icon style is not designed to use tiny elements like our dear position-marker in the navigate icons. So the spacing in nav and nearby kirigami icons is a necessity to provide any contrast and make the elements distinguishable if we want to keep the symbol unification over all systems icons. For kirigami map-layer icon this then means no spacing to have the same style as in sfos and on-map.

- On-Map we do not have the same simplicity constraints than in kirigami so the current no-spacing rule for on-map is due to the possibility to contrast elements with even more transparency layers than in sfos, 100%, 60% and 30%. So, technically the only thing keeping me back to make versions of all on-map icons with a spacing (for you to evaluate) like in the 2nd nearby icon is the map-layer icon.
While designing it i actually tried to have spacing between the layers but could not get it look good due to very short representation of the layers top parts that connect to above layer. It looked very disconnected when any kind of spacing was used.

All in all i would suggest, again for practicability, to keep the spacing style consistent only over each system, not all icons. So no spacing for on-map and sfos. Spacing for some kirigami icons with small elements where necessary.

Regarding using the N navigation icon with centered marker and two dots on-map i would advise not to do so.

- That representation is not possible hard (for me) to draw in sfos and kirigami style constraints, leading to different icons over systems if "centered N" is only used on-map.
- The sfos nav-icon was the one i put most work into, to come up with any representation of a N shaped road. N shape because it is the longest way you could draw under sfos style constraints (circle radius, line-width and hughe spacing to edges). Ok, Z would have also worked but the N = Navigation effect would have been lost.
- We had a discussion that it could be confusing where the position marker is pointing to when centered, which lead me into putting it into bottom left position in the first place. Also i find the resulting icon much more cleaner with only one dot and the road not covered by the position marker as much as in centred version.
- nthn and fellfrosch pointed out that the N only would need to be mirrored for other regions to have the "driving towards expected reading direction" effect if i understood correctly.
- My personal expectation when on-map and clicking the nav-icon is to go from where i am to somewhere else. Also if you click it now, you are lead to navigation page with From field being filled with current position.
- Can't help myself but somehow the centered marker says "you are already navigating" since the marker already left the starting point and is located middle of the way. Whereas in bottom-left placement the marker is the starting point and clearly says "start now".

Still i could see a reasoning to take the centred version for the pure sake of differentiating the general nav icon used for menus from the nav-to and nav-from usage in poi page.

That is my humble 2cents, but i would not want to share your shoes on that decision, rinigus

Repost only to compare centered and bottom-left version without searching in this long thread:

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-21 at 12:20.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@mosen, I am fine with using route-to as a default for navigation. It makes sense as well and simplifies the image.

From looking a bit around, I cannot find the corresponding icon though (top right at https://mosushi.de/misc/puremaps/overview7.png). Would you mind to post it again?

As for route from, I reshaped it to https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps...from-black.svg and https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps...m-symbolic.svg (SFOS has white and black versions).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Kirigami is good.
For sfos i linked a version with the center-dot not 60% transp. to stand out more and not look like it is part of the road somehow. No idea what looks better. For you to try.
On-Map nav-to an nav-from linked in zip. (Edit, oh, nav-from is not used on map. lol. Don't mind then.)

Edit, now i understand what you ment some pages back... The nav-from looks much better with position-marker pointing up. Before it looked like a POI marker when facing down. Small but nice change!
Attached Files
File Type: zip route_.zip (18.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-21 at 14:06.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: