Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by romu View Post
I'm afraid I don't want a too small form factor too. Because Full HD or even 720p on a 4.7 screen make things a bit too small.

I think LG made something close to the ideal with the Nexus 5. Full HD, 70 mm width with very small bezel. The first time I hold it in hands, I was very surprised how compact to appear.
Personally, I can handle 5.7" quite easily, especially if it's thin, light, & well-balanced/designed, but we're all different...
I don't think I'd want a mm bigger though, then again, I originally swore ~5" was my maximum, & that I'd never try/buy anything bigger, & before that my limit was even smaller.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by romu View Post
I'm afraid I don't want a too small form factor too. Because Full HD or even 720p on a 4.7 screen make things a bit too small.

I think LG made something close to the ideal with the Nexus 5. Full HD, 70 mm width with very small bezel. The first time I hold it in hands, I was very surprised how compact to appear.
Very small bezel is nice. I still have a Motorola Razr i with Intel CPU gathering dust in my desk drawer. It doesn't have Full HD but it has a very small bezel.

But I'm afraid a very small bezel would be inefficient with SOS. How would you minimize from the bezel when there's almost no bezel to swipe from?

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
According to this Jolla one is almost sold out:
http://www.digitoday.fi/mobiili/2015...n/201510349/66
And Jolla would announce something after Jolla One's are sold.
"–Myydään Jolla (One) loppuun, sitten kerrotaan jatkosuunnitelmista, Lassila sanoo."

Just words but my guess is that next Slush (http://www.slush.org/) should hopefully bring next news. It has been Jolla's venue so far so why not continue tradition?

I would personally prefer 5,5 display and as small edges as possible. Then phone would be smaller that Oneplus one and other competitors with 5,5 sized screen. This would be nice: https://thejollablog.files.wordpress...x380.jpg?w=767

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
After informing about price reduction a while ago Jolla is frantically looking for new partners around the world. The company’s co-founder and Head of Software Development, Marc Dillon says to the magazine that the company will soon deliver “big news”.

According to the magazine Jolla is opening in sales in Asia, probably in China. This would mean co-operation with at least one Chinese operator.

Instead, Jolla has no plans towards the United States [edit.note: according to the article].

Jolla phone’s back cover allows uploading additional features, such as image- and audio files, to the phone with switching the back cover. Jolla is also negotiating new co-operations in relation to these additional features.

Hey, guys you can try this free downloader for Android or IOS apk for Android or IOS apps, games, life, software to download.
Goodluck and hope it is useful to you guys, cheers.

Last edited by GinoChew; 2015-08-20 at 15:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GinoChew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I still don't get why people want small edges. I ask again: HOW can you minimize an app if you have to swipe from a non-existent edge?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I still don't get why people want small edges. I ask again: HOW can you minimize an app if you have to swipe from a non-existent edge?
I don't believe that swipe minimize requires much edge.

With proper HW design Jolla could make world smallest 5,5 inch screen phone (or whatever size) because sailfish don't need buttons.
This could be used as competitive marketing advantage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Air or plastic, this doesn't change the fact that you have to swipe from the edge of the display. I don't think accidental swipes can happen due to lack of side edges.

From aesthetics point of view no edges is better, from usability perspective I would prefer edges as well.

I prefer holding my thumb ready on the frontal display edge rather than the side edge.

Maybe battery life will decrease due to the display registering more started but not completed swipes when edges are non-existent?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
I don't believe that swipe minimize requires much edge.

With proper HW design Jolla could make world smallest 5,5 inch screen phone (or whatever size) because sailfish don't need buttons.
This could be used as competitive marketing advantage.
Only the iPhone needs buttons. Everyone else's OS have the option to use physical or virtual buttons. The last three Android devices I've bought have been buttonless.

The other problem I've had with thin bezels is that often typing keys near the edges like q or p do not register, especially on gesture based keyboards.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
We should have options size wise - the best size for me is the N9. Sadly, I don't expect that Jolla will have the money to produce different variants to please everybody.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Excuse me, we won't see the second phone from Jolla after Jolla tablet, am I right?

Tags
jolla, jolla 2