Active Topics

Originally Posted by luca View Post
I used flasher to disable the lifeguard reset and I managed to boot the tablet, but now there's no sound at all (not even the greeting nokia tune).
Do you have ASUI installed? If so, you could open the services section in asui-settings and see if any of the sound services aren't running but should be (checked). Incorrect start orders can cause services to fail to start and result in a reboot loop. The maemo-control-services app incorrectly starts services at 20 (any of them) after you toggle them off and back on.

Required services can't be unchecked so you could safely uncheck every service in asui-settings and see if a reboot without lifeguard works. Rechecking the services you want will restore them to the correct orders they were installed with.

If you don't have ASUI installed and don't want to use it then you could install it and use its service manager to revert back to systemui. That way you could continue using its service manager and its MCE settings interface without using ASUI.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Today, while browsing with tear and switching windows with telescope, my n800 froze and rebooted, then it entered a reboot loop (every time it showed the hands it flashed the led and rebooted).
I used flasher to disable the lifeguard reset and I managed to boot the tablet, but now there's no sound at all (not even the greeting nokia tune).
/var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_resets should indicate which service is misbehaving. Syslog might provide hints too.

No suspicious messages in dmesg (apart from a "JFFS2 warning: (940) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -23").
That's probably unrelated (I get it all the time), but check that you have free space anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Incorrect start orders can cause services to fail to start and result in a reboot loop. The maemo-control-services app incorrectly starts services at 20 (any of them) after you toggle them off and back on.
Thank you, that was it. I moved multimediad and mediaplayer-daemon from 20 to 27 (I probably disabled/enabled them and never rebooted) and now the sound is back (and I could re-enable the lifeguard reset).
I knew I was right when I said that the experts are here

I moved multimediad and mediaplayer-daemon from 20 to 27
Stock order for those services are:
mediaplayer-daemon S99 in 234 and K01 in 0156
multimediad S25 in 2345 and K75 in 016

Hard to read when the tab size is not 4 but here are all of the stock orders:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...ui&view=markup

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That's probably unrelated (I get it all the time), but check that you have free space anyway.
Running out of storage (or at least getting below 10MB free) seems capable of creating all kinds of subtle issues (like writes being silently discarded).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Running out of storage (or at least getting below 10MB free) seems capable of creating all kinds of subtle issues (like writes being silently discarded).
And files truncated to 0 size

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
And files truncated to 0 size
Yeiks! (10 character limits "ftw")

Btw, after looong testing I have decided that the latest testing kernel from may is not good.
It fixed the shutdown issue but caused a spontaneous reboot about every week
So, the update 2 kernel package from march (kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb) is the recommended kernel.
If you do not remember what kernel you have installed, look at the date in the output of "uname -a". This date is Sun Mar 13 23:29:39 CET 2011 in the recommended kernel.
If you have the kernel dated May, just reinstall the kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb package ("dpkg -i kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb")

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
Hi Maacruz,

I'm running the kernel from May. I haven't noticed the reboot issue, but I'm currently only getting around 6 days use on a charge (it really depends on usage) and then I shutdown to swap-out the battery with a fully charged one anyway. Since loading the May kernel though I haven't had one instance of the shutdown issue, so I am somewhat reluctant to rollback to the March kernel if that means I could start experiencing the shutdown issue again. Is there any other reason why I wouldn't want to stay on the May kernel? I'll try and start tracking my uptime a little more carefully to see if the restart issue is affecting me and I'm not aware of it. Overall I have been completely happy with the May kernel.

Thanks!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmart For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jmart View Post
Hi Maacruz,

I'm running the kernel from May. I haven't noticed the reboot issue, but I'm currently only getting around 6 days use on a charge (it really depends on usage) and then I shutdown to swap-out the battery with a fully charged one anyway. Since loading the May kernel though I haven't had one instance of the shutdown issue, so I am somewhat reluctant to rollback to the March kernel if that means I could start experiencing the shutdown issue again. Is there any other reason why I wouldn't want to stay on the May kernel? I'll try and start tracking my uptime a little more carefully to see if the restart issue is affecting me and I'm not aware of it. Overall I have been completely happy with the May kernel.

Thanks!!
If that's your pattern of usage and the kernel hasn't showed any problem for you, then by all means keep it.
My usage pattern is to never turn off or reboot, and 5-6 days was my usual uptime before a reboot happened, but since I asked very few people answered so I acted based on my own data. It well could be an aging hardware problem in my N810; time will tell.Since I rolled back to the march kernel I had a reboot, yesterday, after 15 days of uptime.

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-09-20 at 21:49. Reason: Awful grammar (what was I thinking when I wrote this?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008