Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
guys,
is it worth going through the application and creating a decent log file of whats happening?

It will certainly help with diagnosis of errors.
liqbase makes extensive use of the log to help me track down the causes of problems.
I can read the log and know exactly what happened and also what i did leading up to it.

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
"alarms do not go off reliably" as in they don't play? The clock doesn't auto-launch? Are you using the same sound file all the time, or?

If it's the "clock doesn't autolaunch/do anything at alarm time" then you can always fall back on Flip's internal alarms instead of alarmD;
Make sure you have all alarms in Flip TURNED OFF, then just edit the config file (/home/user/.flipclock) and look for the section that says "useAlarmD=1"; change that to 0, save, and you should be all set. Note that this approach will no longer cause auto-launches/etc and means you'll need to have the app running in order to get alarms, but it should at least be 100% consistent.
It use to be (before I upgraded to the last released version) that the clock would fire the alarm I set for flipclock regardless if the program was active or not. Now regardless of whether flipclock is running or not it won't fire its alarms (do nothing which led to me and the gf sleeping in during her charette). I'll try your fix.

Also jolouis, where is ci_alarmNew.py? I did a find in terminal with no success.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
All of the flipclock files, including ci_alarmNew.py, are tucked away in
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/flipclock

(I've typed that so many times now it's just second nature! lol)

Lcuk, at this point the xterm output is what I've been using as a diagnosis log since it outputs pretty much everything that the clock is up to; the main problem that creeps up with this particular app is conflicts or failure of alarmD to work properly for people; personally I've never had a problem with alarmD failing, and I think most users are in the same situation, but for those who do it can be annoying as it's "random" and a log for Flip really wouldn't help diagnose the problem unless we can get a consistent failure to occur.

The other big problem is that I'm now knee deep into a major overhaul of the way the interface and application is constructed, so while I can offer small suggestions on minor code goofs, any kind of major re-write/addition at this point is just going to be one more thing to add to my already very large list; once I get the overhaul done then more focus can be put on bringing back in more behind the scenes stuff like log files.

Also btw aside from Laughing Man's oddity there nobody else has put forward any major bug reports/failings of the app lately so I've also forwarded the current version over to the regular Extra's repo so that more people can start to enjoy it!

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Have latest Flip Clock installed, but get no sound when the alarm goes off. Is there a certain path to a "sounds" folder that I need to create? I briefly gazed through all of the posts but may have missed what I was searching for.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Den,

Nah you should be able to just pick an Mp3 from within the app and it should work. I've found that it can be a bit picky in terms of what will actually play back and the current version has almost no feedback to indicate what works and doesn't, so what I recommend is to select a sound, set the alarm for like two minutes in the future, and see if the sound plays; if it does, then you know you're good; if not, try another Mp3. (You choose a sound by pressing where it says "Sound" in the alarm settings screen; sounds are set per alarm, so make sure you choose your sound file for each alarm that you setup). Also make sure the volume on the tablet isn't too low. When the alarm starts the sound will be very quiet, and get louder as it continues to play, so if you have a very short sound it probably won't work as you expect.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Hi Den,

Nah you should be able to just pick an Mp3 from within the app and it should work. I've found that it can be a bit picky in terms of what will actually play back and the current version has almost no feedback to indicate what works and doesn't, so what I recommend is to select a sound, set the alarm for like two minutes in the future, and see if the sound plays; if it does, then you know you're good; if not, try another Mp3. (You choose a sound by pressing where it says "Sound" in the alarm settings screen; sounds are set per alarm, so make sure you choose your sound file for each alarm that you setup). Also make sure the volume on the tablet isn't too low. When the alarm starts the sound will be very quiet, and get louder as it continues to play, so if you have a very short sound it probably won't work as you expect.
Works great, thanks!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Germany, Erlangen
I still have a problem with old/hidden alarms!
'flipclock -f' doesn't clean it!
On the console it outputs alarm stopped {...'alarm_hhmm': '0545'...}, but it rang at 0500h and rings again at 0545h!
So looks like the flipclock thinks it is the 0545h alarm.
Really strange all that!

Bye, Didge

What's the latest version? I haven't found the latest upgrade in extras since jolouis's post on 5/12.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I just installed Flipclock for the first time - it's really nice. Thanks to all who have contributed. It came from one of the repos that I have active. Version is 0.2.1-1.
The flip and night LED version shows the time but none of the other functions appear to work (alarms particularly) I also understand that the night mode colour can be changed. How?

Do I have the right version? I see several versions on post one, perhaps I should choose one of these?

BTW, if i need a different version should i uninstall the version I have first. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
alarms start of silent at first.

to change color, on the alarm screen, bottom right tap rainbow colored block.

Tags
clock, flip clock