Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by tobymansell View Post
lol.... Ur just p1ssed off cos u live in such a sh1thole area of the uk arent ya???
Gravesend is a great area! As is my native South East London. Plenty of employment, great standard of living and plenty of LIFE!

Anyway, back on topic. That's totally irrelevant.

I'm more pissed off because this forum is normally populated by people of an above average intelligence and then along comes some Tobyjug Ears and posts a thread that should have been left in 2009.

Times have moved on Tobyjug. Didn't you realise?

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
gravesend is awesome whoop whoop have mates that live there absolutly nice people... n900 is good and so the iphone just depends on your needs... simple vs complex

The Following User Says Thank You to mohi2k7 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
For me the music player was just a little clunky, compared to an iPod touch I had at the same time, the way you built playlists etc was bizarre!! Also lack of the option to pick a play list using a mouse whilst it's plugged into your pc was a big oversight (IMO) unless of course some clever sod has developed one now !!
I don't hate the N900, it just dissapointed me...
Also very simple apps like run keeper which are free on the iPhone seem to wok much better than the equivalent on the N900, again due to more investment by professional devs...
Ahh I see. I never use playlists and have heard they are a nuisance to create so I suppose I've been immune to that problem.

I understand what you mean by "simple apps" working better on other systems. I have a problem with the DropBox client (DropN900) for this phone. It just doesn't run correctly everytime and about 15 minutes ago I just deleted a file I shouldn't have from my account. Not my fault, it's because the client don't work 100% as it should.

And I can't see it ever being updated to iron out the bugs. I bet there is no bugs left on the Android or iPhone client though!

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by bass800 View Post
so apps are the main reason for owning a phone or any device aside from the hardware. ie. windows os = avid, osx = final cut / different strokes for different folks. but these are apps. apps are not only games. n900 may have been an ok device with ok hardware with ok apps, but sorry to burst your bubble but its over, just like the 286, 386, 486 and webos.
If you believe 8086-286 is dead then you are completely wrong.
http://www.intersil.com/product/deviceinfo.asp?pn=80C86

http://www.intersil.com/products/dev....asp?pn=80C286

A lot of these processors you call dead are still alive and well, and you probably use many of them on a daily basis without knowing it...

Next, when you mention Avid, the recording industry uses a lot of 386 and 486 computers, because they are the only ones than can host the hardware and software used by their favourite mixingdesks.
The industry also has a lot of specialized robots and other machines that utilizes 8086-486 computers and works just as well today as they did when they were new.
Even Nasa uses older technology in their equipment because it does the job needed, with the best performance.

Originally Posted by NASA question board
QUESTION:
When it was designed, why was only a single 80C85 CPU used? Why did not you go for a powerful CPU which would have increased the computational power of the Sojourber rover?
Does it have such a small instruction set that it does not need more resources?

ANSWER from Mark Adler:
The answer is money and mass. We had $25M and 25 pounds to work with so we had to choose something cheap, low power, and also space qualified/rad hard.
The 80C85 is good enough for our purposes. Since we can't move very fast anyway because of power limitations, we don't need to think very fast. The Pathfinder lander uses a hot computer - an RS6000, and the 2001 rover will also have a more competent computer.

Yours,
Mark

ANSWER from Steve Stolper:
This is a good question and exposes a "little secret" of the space business. While many associate spacecraft have high technology, traditionally spacecraft have been built using old technology. This mission is one of the first to use "state-of-the-art" technology on board.

Processors on spacecraft must withstand severe thermal, vibration, and radiation environments. In addition, they must consume very little power.
These processors are much more difficult to design and build. As a result, radiation-hardend space processors have always lagged behind the "state-of-the-art." That is why the rover computer is an 80C85. This is a very low-power, radiation-hard, processor.

The lander computer (RAD6000-SC) is a 22 MIP machine with 128MB of RAM and 6MB of EEPROM. It runs a multi-tasking operating system and is the most powerful processor flown in the planetary program. The processor can withstand -55C to +70C temperatures. On impact, the lander flight computer pulled 18g's and has not been effected by radiation encountered during the 7
month cruise to Mars.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Tobyjug Ears and posts a thread that should have been left in 2009.

Tony jug ears.... wtf?? Is this how you are imagining me to look like? why the hell would i have jug ears??

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Buy an N900 for development and fun!
iPad for Apple *****
Android (galaxy s2) for phone.

Solved... :S

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
So what are you doing on a N900 development forum if you use it only for IM and browsing?

Pathetic life? Troll much?
Why do some of you worship the N900 like it is some sort of a god. The person gave a reason why he still have the phone and you think that reasons he gave were not enough for him to still own the phone hence be visiting development forum? Some of you purely need to get a life.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
IMO, if people are asking this kind of question, then iphone is more suiteable them period.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Why do some of you worship the N900 like it is some sort of a god. The person gave a reason why he still have the phone and you think that reasons he gave were not enough for him to still own the phone hence be visiting development forum? Some of you purely need to get a life.
Check his post history, pure trolling and hatred. It's not worshiping, it's just being real. I doubt he even has a N900.

And...oh yeah N900 is GOD.

@patlak

sorry mate - I don't think you're getting the point of what i'm trying to say about why I think the one is better than the other, or you do understand my point but you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I'd like to comment and reply to your comments however your comments seem like you're commenting for the sake of commenting and not to share your unbiased thoughts of the two devices... I dunno, borderline troll maybe (I dont care) - I'd rather not participate. I hope my use of both phones and comments I've made have help the OP make a decision.

Tags
epic thread, ffs! not again!, i-tard, shoot tobymanse