Active Topics

Poll: Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?
Poll Options
Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
On Maemo, the browser (MicroB, Opera Mobile, Firefox) are definitely better than Android, without a doubt. I've only got a Pulse Mini (£99 from T-Mobile PAYG) with a 2.8" 320x240 touch screen so the browsing experience would hardly be a pleasure whatever browser was installed!

eMail (since I use Google Mail for my email) is better on Android - for some reason Modest has slowed to a snails pace on my N900, it's as though the database is full of cr@p that isn't being cleared out correctly. Modest is probably the biggest disappointment of the N900 considering how much development effort seems to go into it with so few results. App Manager on the other hand hasn't changed much (apart from the cosmetics) since it was introduced on the 770.

In terms of Android vs Maemo in all other respects, it does feel like Maemo is for grown-ups and Android for kids - I'd agree with Nokias positioning that Maemo is for mobile computers and Symbian is for Smartphones (and thus competing with Android), Android really does feel like a phone OS with computer aspirations while Maemo is a computer OS with phone capabilities added on.

But this isn't about Android vs. Maemo, it's about Ovi and App stores. On that score, Android wins hands down with Maemo far, far behind.
Errr...

To expand/clarify what I was asking:
There are a group of people who think that apps are generally unnecessary once you have a good enough browser. Even google mail works better over a browser than N900's email implementation.

To these people, AppStore war is moot. What would you say to them...?

ps: I think the form factor of your device affects your experience greatly... I've had a much more positive experience with my Milestone (3.7" screen @ 800x480). It also looks/feels more 'adult' heheh
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Errr...

To expand/clarify what I was asking:
There are a group of people who think that apps are generally unnecessary once you have a good enough browser. Even google mail works better over a browser than N900's email implementation.

To these people, AppStore war is moot. What would you say to them...?
Sorry if I misunderstood.

No, apps are essential - I don't think everything can be done in the browser, certainly not on low power/mobile devices. Using the browser in place of a dedicated application is inefficient for a start and leads to a sub-optimal user experience.

I would much prefer that Maemo had a dedicated "Ovi Store" application that took care of everything from finding an app to downloading it and finally installing it - currently it's a mixture of two applications (MicroB and App Manager) and neither accomplish their task very well, in particular the latter is verging on unusable now (because it is so slow). Without any ability to queue Ovi Store downloads, trying out an application on a whim is unlikely to happen when the App Manager takes so long to do it's job.

Fundamentally though it's the lack of integration between the various "parts" on the N900 that result in such a horrible Ovi Store experience on the N900 - if it's anything like this on Symbian^3 then Nokia will be laughed out of the market.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
ps: I think the form factor of your device affects your experience greatly... I've had a much more positive experience with my Milestone (3.7" screen @ 800x480). It also looks/feels more 'adult' heheh
You might be right however I only bought it to get a feel for the OS which seems far more oriented towards being a phone OS than being a computer OS. Although that's not really a criticism of Android as Android does it's job very well even on such a small and low-res screen (which isn't reall an issue unless browsing the web), but in comparison with Maemo I think the latter by being more open and more "computer like" has more scope to do well at the higher-end although Nokia do need to sort out and improve the Application Manager and indeed the whole process of finding/buying/installing/uninstalling applications.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
You might be right however I only bought it to get a feel for the OS which seems far more oriented towards being a phone OS than being a computer OS. Although that's not really a criticism of Android as Android does it's job very well even on such a small and low-res screen (which isn't reall an issue unless browsing the web), but in comparison with Maemo I think the latter by being more open and more "computer like" has more scope to do well at the higher-end although Nokia do need to sort out and improve the Application Manager and indeed the whole process of finding/buying/installing/uninstalling applications.
Yeah, I completely agree with the issues with Ovi and integration. On being 'more computer like' I also see the negative side effects of 'full' multitasking and lack of sandboxing here; with many bugs/troubleshooting sessions cropping up from the undesired interaction between apps/components.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Gotta agree with the comments regarding the filter functions on ovi. If their is an option to choose "All apps" or maybe just "All games" even, I have not found it.

Even when I go in to catagories and select Games, the top of the page says "Games>All" but it still only shows the top ten free downloads. Thank god we have the repos I say.

The 44 people who didn't vote awful or bad need to be banned for trolling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Sky is blue, grass is green, Ovi store is ****.

^true ZShakespearean lore

I tried to make my first payed purchase a couple of nights ago of the angry birds level pack. It failed.

I contacted support. They sent me a link to the same damn location which repeatedly downloads as a 0kb .deb file on my handset.

No amount of pleading with the support people that I had already tried that link multiple times from different connections would convince them that there was a problem.

After about 10 minutes I realised ****...this is a $2 piece of software. My time is worth far more to me than that. What a joke.
Having the receipt and my confirmed payment why can they not just send me a .deb file via email to fix the problem?

Nokia are completely unable to deal with this platform if anything goes pear shaped. Free ovi downloads work fine btw.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
what about a

"its awful, Ive never used it and never will' option ?

XD

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by bandario View Post
I tried to make my first payed purchase a couple of nights ago of the angry birds level pack. It failed.

I contacted support. They sent me a link to the same damn location which repeatedly downloads as a 0kb .deb file on my handset.

No amount of pleading with the support people that I had already tried that link multiple times from different connections would convince them that there was a problem.

After about 10 minutes I realised ****...this is a $2 piece of software. My time is worth far more to me than that. What a joke.
Having the receipt and my confirmed payment why can they not just send me a .deb file via email to fix the problem?

Nokia are completely unable to deal with this platform if anything goes pear shaped. Free ovi downloads work fine btw.
ovi should make a promotion campaign:
you purchased apps but they dont appear?
you pay 1 euro for crap like angryman and you are pissed?
you wait for new apps but nothing happens?
you are horny for the rollercoaster app but you realised that its just a myth?
<WELCOME TO THE OVI STORE>
AND WE DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT YOU.

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:

Tags
iphone, ovi sucks