Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Seb Per View Post
Texrat,

This is an excellent Production approach explanation. However let's not forget another factor based on the consumer/end-user approach: disapointment/frustration is proportional to expectation so variation in quality fulfillment may be artificial boosted.

SP
Absolutely. Many of my colleagues often forget that Perception = Everything.

And to the other poster: the original problem was, as I've said earlier, contained and corrected. Only very early releases were impacted. The actual damage was minimal, although not to public perception, of course.

I thought I had aproblem tonight at work. The right side of my screen was off by about 2cm. I tried calibrating it but it didnt work. Then I uninstalled maemomapper because that was the last thing that I installed on the tablet before the problem and everything is back to normal.

Something is screwy with that software..

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Only very early releases were impacted. The actual damage was minimal, although not to public perception, of course.
Both my N800s have pressure sensitivity issues, the first purchased on day of launch and the second at the end of January so thats at least an entire month of production that may be affected.

Good to know it's now no longer an issue. All I need to do now is track down someone in Nokia UK who can tell me what has happened to the first device I returned for it's touchscreen pressure repair, over 2 weeks ago - nobody seems able to find it. If it ever comes back fixed, I'll send in the second.

Yeah, Mil, I feel terrible about your experience. Frustrates the heck out of me when I see that the repair chain isn't working...

However, do note that the tablets are produced in large lots, so even if you purchased your tablets weeks apart you could still be buying from the same batch (ie, made on the same day)-- and given that I expect the problematic tablets to be clustered, your experience actually makes perfect sense. That still doesn't make me happy, though.

FWIW, I went ahead and sent mine into Huntsville (the repair shop that comes up on the form) via second day air. So we'll see if I just wasted $20 on shipping and insurance or not.

Based on re-reading this thread, I did a recalibrate, and realized that the touchscreen is working, but that presses on the device's right side aren't getting registered all the time. So it looks like it actually is the same problem.

Ewan, I apologize for not suggesting a recalibrate. That was an oversight on my part. Glad you got it anyway.

Anyway, I hope your device comes back working as it should soon.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah, Mil, I feel terrible about your experience. Frustrates the heck out of me when I see that the repair chain isn't working...
Made real progress today. I spoke to a service rep at the third-party firm Nokia UK use to handle repairs, only to find they have shipped my N800 to another firm for the actual repair. So I called the repair firm who - after asking me for an IMEI number blah blah - confirmed they have "Replaced the LCD, tested and calibrated".

Woohoo! It should be on it's way back to me in a day or two so I should find out perhaps Thursday or Friday if the touchscreen has actually been fixed by replacing the LCD.

Good to hear, Mil!

Well, several days after UPS claims that my N800 was delivered to the Repair Depot in Alabama, and no one can tell me if it actually was received by anyone there, or what the status was. Which is rather confirming my concern with going the repair route at this point...

Oh well, at least I can sit here and pretend to be using my N800...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i bought my N800 in the middle of march and havent had any touchscreen issues at all.