Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Would you like to see a "now playing" notification?
Poll Options
Would you like to see a "now playing" notification?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this app rox, you cud use it for other notifications maybe??

reminders/// etc

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
this app rox, you cud use it for other notifications maybe??

reminders/// etc
Care to elaborate more? Reminders aka alarms already have quite extensive apps around them.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

Hi, and thanks for your reply!
It's good to know! Wish it could be fixed somehow!
Now Playing Notifications is a superapp!

/Trancedancer

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You've stumbled upon a bug in the Media Player widget, unrelated to Now Playing Notifications: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5894

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I've committed support for showing the filename if the tag information isn't available.

Originally Posted by generationally View Post
My request would be that instead of showing some media player icon together with the artist and song, it would show the actual album art if available. Doable?
]
Nope. The notification plugin used by the N900 doesn't support being given an explicit path to an image.
A workaround would be to get the image, resize it (multiple times for the small notification and for the larger notification), put the resulting images in the folders that the notification plugin does look for images and hope that we don't encounter a race condition. Doing all this, BTW, would make the N900 rather slow when pressing the "next track" button repeatedly.

@tuminoid

I'm looking at https://garage.maemo.org/pm/task.php...roject_id=2599 .

It wouldn't take long to add statusbar applet functionality (I've written a few of those already =)) to the notifier.

This is what I've come up with:

The album art is real, is from MAFW and resizing it is no problem.
Ignore "Example Title" and "Value"; you already know that we can get those filled in by MAFW.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Wow, you are really productive out there, guys! Wonderful!
Wish I could help out, but it's not my thing... :-(

The statusapplet-function is a great idea!!!
This way, maybe it could be possible to turn the Notification On/Off??? :-)

Originally Posted by Trancedancer View Post
The statusapplet-function is a great idea!!!
This way, maybe it could be possible to turn the Notification On/Off??? :-)
There is a real settings applet in the works for configuring all aspects of notifications, including on/off, I don't see benefit for having us taking space in menu, there are pelnty of useful applets to put there instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
I've committed support for showing the filename if the tag information isn't available.
Thanks, looked at the code and it seems really clean.

Nope. The notification plugin used by the N900 doesn't support being given an explicit path to an image.
A workaround would be to get the image, resize it (multiple times for the small notification and for the larger notification), put the resulting images in the folders that the notification plugin does look for images and hope that we don't encounter a race condition. Doing all this, BTW, would make the N900 rather slow when pressing the "next track" button repeatedly.
Thats sad and a bit surprising too.

Though I got this (sick) idea of having the configuration applet have a button, which would gather the album art from MAFW and batch process it to suitable icons. It'd take time, but since it would be in the applet and explicitly started by user, consuming time is no problem. Do you see problems with this approach?

@tuminoid

I'm looking at https://garage.maemo.org/pm/task.php...roject_id=2599 .

It wouldn't take long to add statusbar applet functionality (I've written a few of those already =)) to the notifier.

This is what I've come up with:

The album art is real, is from MAFW and resizing it is no problem.
Ignore "Example Title" and "Value"; you already know that we can get those filled in by MAFW.
I was merely meaning that some evaluation should be made if there is difference having the notifier as standalone daemon or to make it a plugin (without any icon/buttons). This way we could get rid of dsmetool and Xsession scripts and use more standard way.

I also see very little advantage of having the statusmenu button for notifier. It requires user to actively seek it and is pretty much the same if user would go to desktop and look at mediaplayer widget which is showing the exact same things. Agree?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Thats sad and a bit surprising too.

Though I got this (sick) idea of having the configuration applet have a button, which would gather the album art from MAFW and batch process it to suitable icons. It'd take time, but since it would be in the applet and explicitly started by user, consuming time is no problem. Do you see problems with this approach?
I wouldn't have a problem, no, but it'd have to be manually synced and optified of course =)

Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
I was merely meaning that some evaluation should be made if there is difference having the notifier as standalone daemon or to make it a plugin (without any icon/buttons). This way we could get rid of dsmetool and Xsession scripts and use more standard way.

I also see very little advantage of having the statusmenu button for notifier. It requires user to actively seek it and is pretty much the same if user would go to desktop and look at mediaplayer widget which is showing the exact same things. Agree?
Yes, agreed. Apologies, I'm going overboard here. I do have to admit that I would like a statusmenu applet because I'm too lazy to go to the deskop but that is outside the scope of the notifier. Maybe in my own time...

I'm not bothered either way, TBH. It's much nicer to test it as a daemon, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Thanks for the notification app look forward to other apps [powerkey menu] for example

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Got it!
Thx alot! Good work!
Like the app, as simple as it can be, I don't miss anything. If I read it right you also wanted to implement a next-trackbutton in the notify. To me, that'd be the only thing further needed, but I dont know if its possible and if its gonna be easy to make a good difference between tapping it to go to the mediaplayer and tapping 'next track'.
Perhaps repeat track could also be usefull.

That's one more opinion for ya guys