Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
THE MEDIA PLAYER IS CRAP. i logged a thread for this some time ago. it takes forever to organise the videos before you can play them, and the same goes for the music player. WHERE IS THE INDEXING???? this is bad

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
The issue with the album art has been addressed in at least 2 separate threads, the problem is how the songs have been tagged and solutions have been offered. Anything to do with iPhone is never going to be standard, iTunes is by definition a disaster.

And there us every excuse for a 500 pound device not being as good as playing music as a 40 pound mp3 player. ONE OF THEM IS AN MP3 PLAYER. That's all it does. It doesn't do anything else, the entirety of its existence is to play music. The N900's on the other hand is NOT solely to play music. As I said, when your 40 pound mp3 player can do ANYTHING else the N900 does I will be happy to listen to you compare the two devices.

I will now go back to trying to get my 3 year old mp3 player to play openarena. Its not working so well
I was not talking about the album art. I have almost fixed the problem of some tracks having missing album art and once I do I will start a thread saying everything that needs to be done to ensure every single album art displays as it should. Seems there are about five steps guaranteed to make it work and I am on stage four of five. Very painful process and it shouldn't really be so.

What I was talking about was the artist tags. For this I have found no fix. Has nothing to do with itunes. As I said I have used Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, Winamp and MP3 tag. None have fixed the problem. Not a problem with itunes just a problem with the N900. Have not had the problem with any other mp3 player and I am sure it would not even be a problem on Nokia N97, 5800 or X6.

If you know the solution I would be very very glad to send you a few of the tracks for you to work on and tell me how to get the device to show the correct artist tags.

As for suggesting a £40 mp3 player should be a better mp3 player than a £500 N900 I think is ridiculous. Was a valid argument years ago but certainly not in 2010. Any company holding that attitude or taking that approach in 2010 is going to lose some serious market share. Many don't want to carry around separate devices especially if one is as bulky as the N900. Especially since many will always have to carry a DS for which there is absolutely no substitute. So if your phone doesn't do mp3 playback properly you may have to carry at least three devices.

i havent had any issues with the media player YET, probably because i havent had a good glance at it... but people on here with a N900 really need to get a grip.. If the media player sucks, it sucks, end of..

Come on, u all know it that this thing is supposed to have a better media player. ur just being ignorant because U own this device and cannot see anyone say something bad about it...

Everyone brags about open-source... is this just for namesake?? why nobody bloody get on and make one media player themselves?? its supposed to be open-source. u got the code etc...

IF ONLY this phone drew the attention of the guys at xda devs.. things wouldve been different..... if anyone has some spare time from ur N900, go to the xda developers and see how that forum is....

LOOK FOR A SOLUTION RATHER THAN SAYING YOUR DEVICE IS PERFECT

The Following User Says Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
How is it a miserable excuse? By your logic if they hadn't included a media player at all then this wouldn't even be an issue.
Actually, that is true to some extent, at least that would put the issue of a media player on the community/3rd party developers. Really the issue is what does Nokia consider a "portable computing device" to entail exactly. The attitude of a lot of people here seems to be that mobile xterm is all anyone would need in a "portable computing device".

The media player isn't the only lackluster app. Email is pretty awful as well. And while that doesn't bother me too much, I wouldn't think of making excuses for how sh**y the email app is. It's subpar, end of story. It makes sense to assume that since Nokia included these applications that "portable computing" would include media playback, email/PIM, web. NOT just a mobile xterm.

i am still baffled, how is the media player performance not acceptable? have u done any benchmark tests or u r just saying that.
I don't need to do a benchmark test because audio skipping/stuttering is obvious. This has improved a lot in PR1.1 and I'm not super concerned about it, but as I said above I'm not going to make bull***t excuses about how the N900 isn't a PMP. I think some of the current issues have more to do with the underlying frameworks and issues with video playback and large media libraries.

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Now to get this thread back on track, here are some links to relevant bug reports, please go vote, contribute if necessary, search or file new reports if you have an issue:

bug 7190 - music stutters during multitasking

Bug 6823 - media player won't play any video files now (.avi) divx / xvid

The Following User Says Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I haven't received my n900 yet, but, I'd still like to comment.

I use my N96, and have used my past N78's (lol, multiple N78's) to listen to music while texting, playing a game, or browsing the web. Now, with the N900 having 32gb of memory, and it being multitasking mobile PC, I expect it to do a semi-decent job of playing music. A decent dedicated music player will probably always be better, but some of these issues sound ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
I'm sure this will be completely ignored, but...here goes anyway....

The Media player is built atop many pieces of software, that fluidly integrate together.

The most critical of these is the PulseAudio daemon. If you CLAIM to want to understand this device, go to their project site, and read up on it.

There has been considerable progress in PulseAudio's design since its inception a few short years ago, but the majority of PulseAudio's development has been on x86 and desktop targets, which is very different from the ARM stuff being targeted here.

It will get better, but as with all things open source, it takes time and dedicated programmer time. This is not Nokia's fault, and you should NOT be pointing the finger at them.

I am very dismayed and DISGUSTED at the sheer arrogance and air of self-entitlement of the most vocal detractors on this forum, yes...you paid for this device...the same as you paid for your desktop....

but unlike most "phones" ... this device is built atop a highly extensible stack, of which the vast majority of it is NOT developed by Nokia, and is developed in an open forum. Nokia is doing something radically different here, and it WILL pay off, as developers from the surrounding projects such as PulseAudio, gstreamer (the modular processing framework that connects this all together), etc mature.

so please guys,

JUST CHILL, you have three options:

(1) file bug reports with Nokia or the surrounding projects.
(2) join a project and contribute code
(3) STFU and WAIT PATIENTLY.

-Thom

Last edited by tschak909; 2010-02-11 at 00:57.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tschak909 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by tschak909 View Post

The Media player is built atop many pieces of software, that fluidly integrate together.

The most critical of these is the PulseAudio daemon. If you CLAIM to want to understand this device, go to their project site, and read up on it.

There has been considerable progress in PulseAudio's design since its inception a few short years ago, but the majority of PulseAudio's development has been on x86 and desktop targets, which is very different from the ARM stuff being targeted here.

It will get better, but as with all things open source, it takes time and dedicated programmer time. This is not Nokia's fault, and you should NOT be pointing the finger at them.

I am very dismayed and DISGUSTED at the sheer arrogance and air of self-entitlement of the most vocal detractors on this forum, yes...you paid for this device...the same as you paid for your desktop....

but unlike most "phones" ... this device is built atop a highly extensible stack, of which the vast majority of it is NOT developed by Nokia, and is developed in an open forum. Nokia is doing something radically different here, and it WILL pay off, as developers from the surrounding projects such as PulseAudio, gstreamer (the modular processing framework that connects this all together), etc mature.

so please guys,

-Thom
Why would you think this would be ignored? This is exactly what I wanted to know. You could have left out the world-weary, angry programmer ********, but the reply contains good info. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:

so please guys,

-Thom
Useful info except that I have already parted with my $625 so waiting is not an easy thing to ask. If Nokia only collected my full money when everything was working as well as it is claimed on this website that it will then I would not be complaining.

Can I also add another problem with the media player on my device which I would be glad if someone could tell me how to solve. Tracker (whatever that is) does not work well at all on mine. For example I just switched on my device go to media player and it shows 4403 songs. I go into artist view and it shows no artist. I go into all albums and it shows no albums. I go into all genres and it shows no genres. I think if I do the kill tracker command it should fix the problem but this really should not be the case in a device sold to the general public.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA

so please guys,

-Thom
Right, except most of the issues with the media player on this device have to do with the parts that are NOT opensource (ie, Nokia's closed-source media player itself). Thus, all we CAN do is vote on bug reports (lol..) or "wait patiently".

A customer should NOT be asked to "STFU" if the product they received is not working as advertised or to their satisfaction. Any company that expected customers to do such a thing would be committing PR suicide...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:

Tags
waiting impatiently