Active Topics

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by ralnaghi View Post
Today iPhone and N97 are loaded with applications... It's not about the hardware/OS only, Nokia should understand that without the software and the comprehensive applications on the N900 it's like having a Ferrari without seats and a stereo system... by the time the fixes and the apps will be out probably iPhone will have a new higher generation of phones. This is not a Marathon... It's a Sprint when it comes to technology.
Go to the wiki and edit the list of applications you're missing.
Instead of clueless whining, do contribute something.

On the positive side, the influx of da fonez streetboyz is clearly a sign of increased marketshare

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
I happen to think that the market has evolved. Android devices are now being regularly updated by google, and even WinMob machines are now being upgraded (in some cases) to newer OS levels. iPhone of course has been doing this too, through hw revisions.
i dont agree with a lot of comments made in this thread, but i fully agree with the above statement, N900 should be upgrade able to maemo 6
hardware wise this cant be a big problem, multi touch i can live without.

but it cant be that 1 itteration and we already loose the upgrade ability, this alwas annoyed me in the S60 world. 3 iterations later, and then drop it, ok but not 1 or 2..

if nokia does that (again) i think i will look at what android can give me because at least there i know if i buy a high end device now, i can upgrade for quite sometime.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ralnaghi View Post
This is not a Marathon... It's a Sprint when it comes to technology.
You lack a degree in business, apparently.

Nobody sprints. It's called marketing. If Nokia sprints and pushes for the very latest, the costs of such an endeavor would be massive, depleting its R&D budget and going ahead for the next 3-6 months. While recuperating, the marathon runners slowly creep up on you and bypass you.

Sooner or later, the efforts put in R&D is going to average out over hops and you realize that to push out a chip before its time you paid thrice. Overall, they have the cash to push forward while you hopelessly huff and puff, panting behind because all your costs are triple and there's no way N900 is going to outsell iPhone by a 400% margin.

Leaping is bad. Slow and steady wins the race. It's a business, and the race is commercial. In the end, whoever has the cash has the technology, the people and the know-how.

Ever saw the Google HDD and CPU storage? They use old, second hand machines. Nokia builds 5$ phones and the 1100 is the best phone ever - sporting two damned pixels and a bad keyboard. The next best seller is the 3310 that has 3 pixels and up/down/ok, it's heavy and stupid. The next best seller ...

It's all about running fastest IF you can keep up and finish the race.

Technological business is NOTHING like a sprint and EVERYTHING like a marathon.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
i dont agree with a lot of comments made in this thread, but i fully agree with the above statement, N900 should be upgrade able to maemo 6
hardware wise this cant be a big problem, multi touch i can live without.

but it cant be that 1 itteration and we already loose the upgrade ability, this alwas annoyed me in the S60 world. 3 iterations later, and then drop it, ok but not 1 or 2..

if nokia does that (again) i think i will look at what android can give me because at least there i know if i buy a high end device now, i can upgrade for quite sometime.
I agree - if Nokia leave me high and dry with the N900 on maemo 5 with little or no support because they release an incompatible maemo 6, I will leave them high and dry and won't be back.

^ should be workable on N900. If thing change like screens etc, make alternative drivers. How hard can it be?!

Whilst awaiting delivery of my N900 (tomorrow) I'm now seriously wondering whether I did the right thing and whether I should just return it and switch to a platform that at least is supported longer-term

ie Nexus One or followons

Google is proving it will upgrade handsets to newer OS versions

Nokia's in danger of breaking maemo just as it's getting buy-in. This constant switch to the next new thing really gets me.

I got burnt by the N96 dropping VoIP. Now I'm worrying this is happening here.

I have a couple/weeks to return (if unused). Ummm.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
I agree - if Nokia leave me high and dry with the N900 on maemo 5 with little or no support because they release an incompatible maemo 6, I will leave them high and dry and won't be back.

^ should be workable on N900. If thing change like screens etc, make alternative drivers. How hard can it be?!
Not VERY hard. But for a few people leaving, there' be few people upgrading to N910. So, you know.

Also, i thought that M6 will run on N900, confirmed by someone at Nokia a few threads back?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
The only killer software missing is a COOL Map Nav w/ VOICE.
Looks like they've heard you: http://events.nokia.com/ovimaps
(coming to N900 soon looks like)

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Not VERY hard. But for a few people leaving, there' be few people upgrading to N910. So, you know.

Also, i thought that M6 will run on N900, confirmed by someone at Nokia a few threads back?
Last I heard it won't.
M6 will have support for multitouch (brrr) whereas the N900 hardware does not.
They will not release the Maemo 6 OS that's designed around multitouch onto a device that does not support it.

But, they are helping the community get around it. So most probably we'll see Maemo 6 on the N900 thanks to.. us.

Aniello

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Please not!
They should invest more time to fix the annoying bugs in the released Maemo5 before they spit out a Maemo6.

Many, many things like the eMail IMAP Bug and the one from my signature are targeted to Maemo6. This is not a good idea. We've payed for the devices NOW. But a early release of Maemo6 is not a solution.

You do realize that working on Maemo 6 means bring Maemo 5 forward, do you?
It's not a new entity.

Bugs files for Maemo 5 will likely be fixed into Maemo 6 as well as it's a evolution of Maemo 5.
What will change will be the UI, based on Qt and with new interaction and new widgets... but the core is based on Maemo 5 with all the fixes.

Tags
fremantle, future, harmattan, harmattan on n900, maemo, maemo 5, maemo 6, maemo 6 on n900, mysterious future, n900, n900 pr1.1, pr1.1, troll!, trolling, waiting, won't happen soon