Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Company VAT Number is a required field?? US companies don't have VAT numbers (yet). I guess I'll just type in "not applicable".

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Wow, you really just can't satisfy everyone, can ya?

In the #maemo chatroom, as soon as this thread was posted, I wondered how long it would take for the first complaint. Glad to see I wasn't let down!

The bar on the discounts is *quite* low... and for such an expensive device, it's a pretty damn good deal (although it does seem like far less of one for those of us in North America taking exchange rate into account).

Thank you, Nokia.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-16 at 13:23.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This email has been sent to maemo.org developers and contributors with karma +200:
I fall short of that threshold now but hopefully I'll be above that by the end of the year. Does this mean I am out of luck for good?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Comparisons with previous programs are not linear. The N900 is a primary device and the reference discount price is about half of the retail price.

Do you ever got a laptop discount from a vendor for your community development and contributions?

You are not forced to accept the invitation and I'm sorry if some of you are not happy with it...
No need to get all mad, just because people are saying WOW, thats still a lot of money. Take a look and say hmmm, maybe this could have been handled better, and can be addressed better NEXT time.

Seems clear to be it would have been better to get some of those LOANER devices into developers hands that could not make it to summit. This would have given time for devices to be released by carriers that would make them more affordable than even a developer discount, (well at least this one)

As for half the price, at 300Euro thats $449 currently, so does that make the device $900 retail?

I have found the N900 for $549

So half of that is $275, which would be very reasonable.

It doesn't seem that shocking to me that people are asking how long they have to use it. In this economy many people still need to save up to be able to buy a phone that cost $450, or 300Euro.

Makes me wonder about the viability in the US without a carrier discount?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-10-16 at 13:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Company VAT Number is a required field?? US companies don't have VAT numbers (yet). I guess I'll just type in "not applicable".
That works. Also the profile is editable later and some fields are no longer required and can be cleared.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Company VAT Number is a required field?
VAT Number was not a required field for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Some of the posts in this thread look like they've been posted by petulant children.

Guys, any offer from Nokia should be taken with open arms. They're certainly not obliged to offer discounts/free devices. And if you are offered a discounted device, you don't have to take it.

I'm not on the list but I still think it's great.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
This is great news
It might not be a great deal, but Nokia is definitely on the right direction.
The next step is drop "Your Name" requirement when registering.

Congratulation Everyone!
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Well, I haven't yet decided if I want to use the opportunity, but I thought I should go through the forum nokia registration at least. But, as fanoush already posted, that form seems to require that you have a company affiliation and insists on a company name etc. Assuming a company is not needed, what are we supposed to fill in?

EDIT: N/A as company name was not accepted. And it insists on 'province', even though one section has 'City or Province' (two lines). Right now I'm blocked from getting through the form.

EDIT2: Could we use a 'Maemo Community' company, for example, and 'MaemoLand' for Province? At least it would be easy to identify us as a group..

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-10-16 at 14:16.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Since there's no Nokia Store (online/offline) that participates in DDP in Russia, and I don't have spare 300 euros anyway, I can only congratulate everybody with such a nice move from Nokia (no sarcasm really, Apple wants you to actually pay for the right to develop for the iPhone and Nokia pays you, that's cool).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post: