Active Topics

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
i'm just curious why are people presuming the next maemo device will be capacitive screen running maemo 6.
people, there will be more maemo 5 devices to come i'm sure of that, so dont hold out for the next gen as thats still a long time away
I could swear I read that Nokia will not continue Maemo5/Freemantle after the N900.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I could swear I read that Nokia will not continue Maemo5/Freemantle after the N900.
i'm pretty sure thats incorrect.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This thread has been posted to the Harmattan forum. I reckon the Harmattan UI is not public yet but, trust me, it's not a Bora revival.
No, from the slides at the Summit, it looks more like liqbase than Bora.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
You can still run the software.. It just has to be redesigned for a mobile computing platform. At this point in touch interface evolution there really shouldn't be a NEED for a stylus.
You're unnecessarily narrowing the meaning of the word "touch interface". There's a lot of possible use cases, and by no means the stylus is "old" and the thumb is "new". There's things you just can't do comfortably with your fingers. Then there's the question what you want more: using your fingers only or doing the things you'll always need a pointing device with pixel precision for.

It's two different ways of thinking, two preferences. Making it sound like there's an evolution from old and bad to new and good just isn't correct.

Personally I do believe, though, that they will eventually sacrifice the ability to run full blown desktop applications. They'll move to capacitive to keep the press happy. Engadget doesn't care about full Debian on a phone, nor does the mass of consumers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Personally I do believe, though, that they will eventually sacrifice the ability to run full blown desktop applications. They'll move to capacitive to keep the press happy. Engadget doesn't care about full Debian on a phone, nor does the mass of consumers.
Then I hope n900 lasts a lifetime. I tried a capacitive screen: it was one of the reasons I ordered an n900. Today someone gave me their phone to sort out and I realised (after a few minutes of purely instinctive use) that it had a resistive screen - it felt so natural I hadn't thought about it. I do not want a capacitive screen.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
You can still run the software.. It just has to be redesigned for a mobile computing platform. At this point in touch interface evolution there really shouldn't be a NEED for a stylus.

with a desktop/latop sized touchscreen you can get away without a stylus, with devices that have smaller screens you'll probably be better off with one

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
i dont understand...
resistive is sensitive enough for a tiny stylus point, but not for typing with fingers?

The Following User Says Thank You to Swirnoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i dont need a stylus for everything.
a finger friendly ui is also stylus friendly, bring it on!
but don't force us to use fingers for everything.

Its like a knife and fork, I walk around without them most of the time, but I use them when I sit at the table and eat.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You're unnecessarily narrowing the meaning of the word "touch interface". There's a lot of possible use cases, and by no means the stylus is "old" and the thumb is "new". There's things you just can't do comfortably with your fingers. Then there's the question what you want more: using your fingers only or doing the things you'll always need a pointing device with pixel precision for.

It's two different ways of thinking, two preferences. Making it sound like there's an evolution from old and bad to new and good just isn't correct.

I can accept that and yes I was probably narrow minded in my view. On the flip side however not using a stylus or being partial to capacitive screens does not mean that group of people is stupid or lament users, which is a view I've seen expressed in this thread (not you) and elsewhere.

But as you said it all boils down to the fact that nobody really cares about running full Debian on a phone.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Well I sure do. Especially at the beginning there's likely going to be a bunch of applications that won't run properly on maemo, but are usable enough if I boot to debian. Also, I expect to take a lot of handwritten notes on the thing, try doing that with your fingers, duh.

Different people just have different needs. If I just wanted enough functionality to select menu items, I'd be happy with just me fingers, too.