Active Topics

Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
Had some time with the N900 over the weekend. Beautiful, solid powerful little thing. So much potential under the hood to be the 'smartphone' I've always wanted all my other Nokia handsets to be.

Hands on review
Comparison Photos: N900 vs N800 vs N82 vs N95 vs N97
Thanks for the report. So this was the final build? Would love to see some reports of what may have been fixed between the previous version we've seen and the final build to see what changed.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
I use Skype to make calls to other Skype users and land lines. I know Skype to Skype is supported in the contacts view and it looks very easy to launch, but is there a "button" to call a land line through Skype as opposed to cellular?
The dialer has a button used to decide which network you want the call to go through. I'm pretty sure you'll find Cellular, SIP over Wifi and Skype there, but I can't say for sure.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
sorry could not open those linnks...my Virus / firewall protection kicked-in....up-date
was able to see the comparison pics on some blog..thanks, but if there is another way to see your hands-on it would be great.

Last edited by McChicken; 2009-09-15 at 15:54.

Got a UI question. When in application running view where you can see all running apps is it possible to close apps from there or do you have to enter each running app and close it?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Got a UI question. When in application running view where you can see all running apps is it possible to close apps from there or do you have to enter each running app and close it?
You can close each window directly from the task switcher, by tapping on the little X in the corner (the action area is bigger than it looks like, so it works very well).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
Had some time with the N900 over the weekend. Beautiful, solid powerful little thing. So much potential under the hood to be the 'smartphone' I've always wanted all my other Nokia handsets to be.

Hands on review
Comparison Photos: N900 vs N800 vs N82 vs N95 vs N97
Very nice reviews!

Though there is one thing i have to critizise
you write "Note the compass which isn’t listed in the official specs" while referring to a screenshot of ovi maps.

Are you sure it's a real compass? what made you write this? because to me it looks like the north-indicator of ovi maps, and not an actual compass functionality...

also, you should probably proofread the article again, i think there are a few times when you write "n97" but actually meant n900, and a few typos as well ("converned" f.ex.)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If only Nokia learns from Microsoft.. we would all have our N900 in our hands today:

Microsoft decided to hold on loading up any usable software until the new Zunes were out to market. What that means is that we have yet to do any serious testing with the new device -- despite having the gem sitting right here.

these devices are being sold to end users in the same condition our unit is in -- namely, without any real functioning software. It's a pretty unusual move for a company like Microsoft to put devices into the hands of consumers with no functionality at all, but it seems the Zune team was cranking till the last minute. Let's hope all the hard work pays off!
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/z...-and-hands-on/

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Note the compass which isn’t listed in the official specs (neither was infrared – TV/DVD Remote applications again ^_^)
Well, this sure makes me hope that the digital compass is there but like infrared, it's just not listed in specs for some reason.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If only Nokia learns from Microsoft.. we would all have our N900 in our hands today:

"these devices are being sold to end users in the same condition our unit is in -- namely, without any real functioning software"

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/z...-and-hands-on/
... Are you sure that is a learning that Nokia should take into use? Ship devices with no working software to consumers?

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
you write "Note the compass which isn’t listed in the official specs" while referring to a screenshot of ovi maps.

Are you sure it's a real compass? what made you write this? because to me it looks like the north-indicator of ovi maps, and not an actual compass functionality...
Maps has a compass looking button to change the orientation of the map, and another small button that appears on screen if the map is outside where the user is.

Tags
n900, pre-release, review, user review