Active Topics

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Has anyone gotten the full Ubuntu Mobile desktop working on a tablet via this distribution? Is it much heavier than LXDE?
Qole, thet ubuntu mobile package installs gnome with the Xandros-style laucher, thatīs awfully slow comparing to LXDE

Ubuntu-MID (UME) (whatever..)... I don't have any kind of speed test results, but i guess that hildon eats less resources than LXDE. As i have used Mer:s hildon on it and it was fast, and took less memory than i tought it would. I have tried to install UME once, but for some reason, i screved it up before first boot attempt. btw theoretically it is possible, because the only thing missing in mojo:s hasty release was kourou (python-based laucher to replace the mobile-basic-flash Qole asked about...) and the only thing missing in this hasty pic about UME in chroot, was working app-laucher.

And yes, i am a bit interested about "easybuntu"

cool so any how to install ubuntu(mid?) on n810?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, I'm kinda disappointed with Ubuntu so far...

I was looking at the dependencies for the ubuntu-mobile package, it is very heavy... it demands that you install all of xorg and hardware OpenGL, and won't let you install OpenGL software rendering (the only kind we can use on the tablet) instead...

I tried to set up the secondary LXDE desktop in Ubuntu, and they seem to have messed with the Xephyr x-server. It ignores the "-parent" parameter, so I can't put it in my host window, and it has some new parameters for hardware acceleration... I'll probably have to copy over the Debian version of Xephyr to get things working...

Qole, did you read my post earlier?
Metapackage "ubuntu-mobile" in jaunty installs Gnome, with that Xandros-style launcher. If you were looking metapackage for Ubuntu-MID, UME as we should call it, there is no metapackage available for it this far.

EDIT: To get UME:
apt-get install bluetooth bluez-gnome gnome-volume-manager gtk2-engines-sapwood hildon-control-panel hildon-desktop hildon-theme-mobile-basic matchbox-keyboard matchbox-window-manager midbrowser kourou moblin-keyboard-manager moblin-media network-manager-gnome

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-12-11 at 17:50. Reason: tyyypoo

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So, without a meta-package, what are all the packages necessary to get Ubuntu Mobile together? Looks like the flash in mobile-basic-flash needs Stskeep's Flash hack? Does the Canonical release have kourou?

I have tried soo many times that deblet flash hack and i never have been able to get it work but now we have kourou and it it available for jaunty.
Also, the flashplayer should work in Mer i think, because the UI is from maemo...
I added UME deps to message above.

midbrowser seems kinda crappy to me.
I've been intrigued by Prism, it has a very very tiny UI; it is basically XULrunner in a window. I would love to see a browser that is just a tiny bit more robust than Prism, basically just add an address bar and some back/forward/stop buttons. Then, if I can install Grab and Drag, it would be very, very sweet indeed.

I hate Midbrowser too, try conkeror browser, it realllly is tiny.
I prefer webkit engine, Midori is the best choise for me: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8Cw&q=n810+Mer

To get Midori:
http://packages.tspre.org/pool/main/...21-1_armel.deb

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-12-11 at 18:43.

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
To get UME:
apt-get install bluetooth bluez-gnome gnome-volume-manager gtk2-engines-sapwood hildon-control-panel hildon-desktop hildon-theme-mobile-basic matchbox-keyboard matchbox-window-manager midbrowser kourou moblin-keyboard-manager moblin-media network-manager-gnome
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  moblin-media: Depends: gstreamer-dbus-media-service (>= 0.1.16) but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: python-mokoui but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
EDIT: Why use Stskeeps's Midori? What's wrong with Ubuntu Midori?

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-12 at 22:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
hmm... moblin-media won't instell for me too, just leave it for now..
I didn't know midori was available in Jaunty repo, thanks for the tip

Tags
arm, canonical, ubuntu