Active Topics

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Thank you for your input Texrat. I appreciate your insight.
No disrespect intended in my 'outside in' perspective.

Ok, but can we get back to the topic subject, anyone have any idea why I can't install applications?

Thanks!

i used technut's "click to install" and I still can't get python2.5 runtime to download and install in application manager. It goes through the whole 5.23mb download process, then gives me a message that says "Downloading python2.5-runtime failed." I disabled the original maemos extras repo in my Application Catalog and the two temp ones are active. I've also tried rebooting.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Thanks!

I can't answer about the continued cause of download errors (I don't think it was ever pinned down in these fora), but for me trying-trying-trying-and-trying-again let me install pretty much everything I wanted to.

(This was without the "repostory" fix. I think I noticed an improvement in my download success rate after removing the "i", but I can't say for sure.)

Some apps took one try, some took five, some took more like fifteen. I'm not sure what's going on here (busy servers?), but for those of you who aren't finding an answer and are dying to install a certain app, keep on trying! Good luck.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
Thank you for your input Texrat. I appreciate your insight.
No disrespect intended in my 'outside in' perspective.
None taken. My direct involvement is long since past

Ok, I have tried them all 20 or more times, still sits there at the download for a few minutes then gives me a download failed.

Can one of you say one of the application you got to install was so I can test to see if it's my N810 or the server?

Thanks,

It's not your N810. You can rest assured of that.

I didn't mean to tell people to try 20 times consecutively. There was some time between my attempts. For instance, it took about fifteen seperate attempts over a few days to get Quiver installed. It was roughly the same case for Pidgin, Canola 2 and a bunch of other apps.

Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
Ok, I have tried them all 20 or more times, still sits there at the download for a few minutes then gives me a download failed.

Can one of you say one of the application you got to install was so I can test to see if it's my N810 or the server?

Thanks,
Get an xterm running, sudo gainroot. Then, at the # prompt, run something like:

apt-get install python2.5-runtime

or whatever app you are trying to install. You'll see a lot more info about what's happening. Give me a command line anyday for system administration...

Tim

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If I was on vacation from Nokia, and I found out that a repository I created was screwed up because I misspelled "repository", I would fix my mistake. I would feel very humiliated for causing all that trouble.

Where do people from Nokia go for vacation, Antarctica?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
If I was on vacation from Nokia, and I found out that a repository I created was screwed up because I misspelled "repository", I would fix my mistake. I would feel very humiliated for causing all that trouble.
Read the thread, it is NOT a spelling mistake. It's not just "repostory.maemo.org" but [ANYTHING].maemo.org that works. That points to the staging server.

The problem is that Akamai doesn't speak a correct HTTP. The fix is more complicated than corrected a spelling mistake from SSH; it may involve switching from Akamai to another host.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erwan For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras