Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
@mosen

WOW! Thanks! It is really interesting to be someone knowing so little about the basic stuff. But you know only what you need and come a cross through something. It has been a bit pain in the *** to learn anything with N900. But keeps brains fresh not knowing so much cause have to and can learn all the time. This topic has been very informing for me too. Have not yet needed rescueos but may need some day with my way of doing things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
And if you still do not succeed ica (though the instructions are now very straightforward) I am sure there are some people here who would help you with the device directly.

Maybe you are willing to pay for shipment to and from someone who can deal with your device. Maybe somebody even lives close enough you can just visit him. It will certainly be cheaper and more successful than a visit to an repair store.

I would offer myself to unlock your device and even to put files onto an USB key if you send one with it. I am based in Germany near Munich.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
hi all, first of all I really want to express my gratitude for all your help. it is not only about lgetting my old n900 back but also about to learn new things and most important to have a good environment. personally I am very pleased the way I am been look after. it really makes a difference. anyway the way I am doing ths is:
1- open command promp
2- cd.. several times to reach c
3- in c I have to go to DIR because if I paste the hole address it doenst take so..
4- cd program files (x86)
5-dir
6- cd maemo
7- dir
8- cd flasher-3.5
9-dir
10- here is where I paste( with the right key because control v doesn't work in the command promt)
flasher-3.5 -k rescueOS_n900_kernel_1.3.zImage -n rescueOS-1.3.img -l -b"rootdelay root=/dev/ram0"
11-the answer is
suitable USB device not found, waiting.
and the command prompt screen doesn't allow me to paste or write anything and the phone shows the usb icon on the right upper corner but nothing else happens. nothing pops up in the phone or in the prompt screen so I could tipe code_reset to bring back to code to 12345. as you guys can see I am very close. just need to be able to get to the point where I cant tipe that code-reset but don't know what is not happening

Last edited by ica; 2019-01-15 at 13:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You are pretty close @ica I think.

Was your device totally powered off before you inserted the USB cable?

The order is important here;
1. have N900 off and USB not connected
2. give command in PC prompt
3. connect N900 to USB

If this does not work then I think the problem is in windows, I cannot help with that because I have not had windows since XP long time ago.

Now as I think about it, does one have to do some sudo-like gimmic in windows too, like in linux? Does flasher require privilige to work?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
sorry forgot to add that I connect the phone while pressing the u key of the phone after step 11.
thanks Macros, at this point is a bit about pride. I d like to get the answer myself but thanks a lot for the offer. I might have toaccept it if I cant fix it myself.

maemish and mosen: guys ... thaks a lot, you are tring even harder than me. thanks again also to Halftux and juiceme. good gang in here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I can only recommend using Linux instead of Windows; most things that are Hard in Windows are Easy in Linux.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
hi juiceme
yes the phone completely off. I even took the battery out and waited a bit.
did steps 1 2 3 and nothing. can you explain to me why the promt screen doest allow me to tipe anything else at this point? the prompt is there blinking but I cant paste or tipe

The Following User Says Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ica View Post
hi juiceme
yes the phone completely off. I even took the battery out and waited a bit.
did steps 1 2 3 and nothing. can you explain to me why the promt screen doest allow me to tipe anything else at this point? the prompt is there blinking but I cant paste or tipe
Do you mean the prompt in PC?
It is hanging because it waits you to plug in the N900.

When it detects that the N900 is connected, then it will display more messages as it sends the kernel image and OS image to the N900, and after that it will allow you to type again.

So I think the problem is it does not detect that you have connected N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
hmm I wonder if some piece of software is not in the phone for it to say to the PC hey Im connected, but it is weird because the phone does display the nokia screen and the usb logo in the corner and vibrates when plugged. I thing it must the phone. is there any software that has to be installed in the phone before doing all this?

The Following User Says Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
or may be as you say it could be also that the phone connects to PC with the usb but PC is not communicating with phone, then it might windows fault..i wonder if it might be the same case if I try in a more modern windows with compatibility settings... will it manage well the flasher and the other 2 pieces of software?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post: