hey thanks for the blog man. however, can i get some help?

must i repeat those steps everytime i want to connect to the internet?

thanks~

Can't believe it... it actually works!! Can we just put that in a shell script?? And how about taking the connection down??

Hi folks,

i have buyed a N800 and i love the device.
Now i'm sitting in my company office and try to go "online" with the device.
Unfortunally i cannot use the wifi access like at home. My company does not allow this.
But the bluetooth way described in this thread seems to work...
... partially at least ... :-)
I can do ping but only until the PC, not in the whole network.

But what did i first?

I plugged an USB-BT stick in my office PC (WinXP) and installed the BT-Driver (BlueSoleil) - nice graphic gimmick :-)

After that i did copy the script ("bnep.sh") of this thread into the device, logged in as root and did a "./bnep.sh start".

Voilla: The connection between the PC and the N800 over bluetooth was installed. cool :-)

Now i have:
- N800 with the interfcace "bnep0" IP=192.168.0.2/Mask=255.255.255.0

- N800 route is:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 bnep0
default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 bnep0

- PC with the interfaces:
- "LAN" IP=147.54.235.103/Mask=255.255.252.0/Def.Gateway=147.54.232.50 and
- "PAN" IP=192.168.0.1/Mask=255.255.255.0/Def.Gateway=147.54.235.103

So i have different 2 Subnets: the Company LAN and the local PAN network.
Both have a different subnet mask.

Just a quick "ping" test from the N800 root shell:
A "ping 192.68.0.1" (the PAN interface inside the PC) works - OK!
A "ping 147.54.235.103" (the LAN interface inside the PC) works too - OK!
A "ping 147.54.232.50" (the default gateway in the LAN) doesn't - NOK!
I get no internet connection and dns doesn't work inside the N800.

Must i add a new entry in the PC's routing table - which?
I already patched the registry to enable routing
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Tcpip\Parameters\IPEnableRouter = 1)
But this didn't solved my problem.

Has anybody a hint for me?
I'm not an expert in networking...

Hi folks,

today i could solve my ping problem. The reason was a missing configuration in my Windows XP box.
When i set the option ICS (internet connection sharing) the missing routes came up and the ping works for all machines inside our LAN.

But now i have the next thing to solve:
How do i get translated the names to ip adresses? I know, there is a DNS server in our LAN. But how do i tell this the N800 linux ?

Another issue is the Internet proxy in our company - it uses port 8080.
How can i configure this proxy inside the webbrowser of my N800 ?
I dinn't found an option to do this...

Question, questions,... :-)

Hi again folks,

it becomes better step by step... :-)

Today i solved the names resolution thing - just by adding an ip adress entry in resolv.conf file.

Keeps one thing to do: The setting of the proxy-server of my company network to have http access into the whole wide world...

Doesn't has anybody a hint for me?

Hi,

I've used the instructions on http://maemo.org/community/wiki/Blue...nectionManager to get an automated Bluetooth connection as well as a lot of other advice from Maemo and Gentoo wikis and forums, however I'm in the situation that Siegmar was in - I can l2ping and ping the MAC and IPs respectively between the 770 and my Gentoo PC but I can't telnet or ssh between them nor ping beyond the Gentoo box with the Bluetooth dongle (the box is one node on a LAN). But I'm not connected to Windoze so there's no Internet Sharing option for me to check like Siegmar was able to.

I'm just trying to talk to the Gentoo PC via ssh or telnet before trying to masquarade or proxy to the Internet - one thing at a time.

I've posted all my steps at https://www.norminton.org/nokia-steps.txt along with test results. If someone could hint at what might be the problem I'd be very grateful (especially as I want to get the 770 internet connected before my wife gives birth and the new baby sucks away all my free time - and that's days away!!)

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by rkopper View Post
Can't believe it... it actually works!! Can we just put that in a shell script?? And how about taking the connection down??
I don't seem to have the bnep.ko kernel module

Can anyone tell me where to find it? (eg. what package to install).

TIA,

Craig...

also here, after flashing the latest n800 firmware, i have not the bnep.ko driver...
any idea ?

thanks !

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ The Netherlands
I'm just thinking out loud, but isn't there a way this could be done the other way around? If you could get your PC/laptop to behave like a cell phone with a DUN or data connection, the problem would be solved as well right?

Currently I'm interested in using a bluetooth internet connection, because the WiFi network at my school requires a certificate wich I somehow cannot use on my N800. I can install it, but I can't select it when I'm making the connection. Then again, I also need my laptop to be connected (to work) and I'm guessing that it isn't possible to have two connections under the same login.

I hope anyone can solve this problem.

Has anyone tried this for OS2007 on the N800? Know what the diffs would be? I am going to embark on this probably next week. I have an ATT with WM6 which I want to use as a modem. Yes, DUN was left out of WM6 also as you probably know.

Thanks.