Yeah, I've been trying to follow all the GTK/PyGTK versioning. I think PyGTK tries to jibe with GTK when ever possible. According to PyGTK documentation, the GtkStatusIcon is new in in 2.10.

Well, etch is all-GTK-things 2.8 and
lenny is all-GTK-things 2.12.

And that seems to be the story of Maemo's hildonized bastardized 2.10 life.

So, there's this deprecated egg.trayicon stuff that can probably be stolen from Sonata.

But that's one serious strength of Python: the friendliness of the dynamic library binding: "Didn't find GtkStatusIcon, why not try egg.trayicon." Very cool.

I'll take a looksy at this egg.trayicon stuff.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Curiouser and curiouser. I ran "stalonetray" from the debian command line so I could debug what was happening. When I ran qole.py in Maemo, nothing showed on any of the supposed "system trays". However, stalonetray announced that it was adding an icon, and when qole.py finished, stalonetray announced that it was removing the icon. So what's going on? Perhaps the icon bitmaps are not available to the chroot tray, so it displays a blank icon?

I want to try either (1) a standard Gnome icon that is available in a standard Debian environment or (2) copy the necessary icons to the chroot.

I wish I knew some of this stuff.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-28 at 18:37.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
by the way, Tear works much better in LXDE than MicroB (the built-in browser). It has an address bar and everything.

Are you seeing it make space for a blank icon? If so, that might be a good sign. I'm having alpha channel issues on my Kubuntu machine so I made an xpm.py that replaces the alpha channel with black. But if things are slightly working, you should at least see the red icon stuff. At the moment, my Easy Debian is in a bare-bones state so I won't be able to test there till later.

Dude, it's working. I'm running stalonetray in Easy Debian as:

stalonetray --geometry 124x40

It defaults to 124x24 and the icons are 40x40. Give it a try.

EDIT: The following is kinda cool:

stalonetray --geometry 40x40+30+0 -i 40 -t &

Last edited by daperl; 2009-03-28 at 23:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
thanks daperl, that worked. Both for stalonetray and for the LXDE tray, too. One needs only increase the height or width of the tray to incorporate 40x40 icons and they show correctly.

Now to have the program interface with battery-status.

Or, perhaps more precisely, now to either (1) learn python or (2) beg shamelessly for you to do it.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Or, perhaps more precisely, now to either (1) learn python or (2) beg shamelessly for you to do it.
Let's just keep crawling for now. Here, I'll start: How are you currently getting your battery status information? The way I know of is this:

hal-get-property --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/bme --key battery.charge_level.percentage

I think this is what Nokia uses, but your dialog had precision to one decimal point. Do you have a preference?

Or in Easy Debian maybe it's something like:

sudo chroot /media/mmc0p2 hal-get-property --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/bme --key battery.charge_level.percentage

EDIT: While inside Easy Debian, I had to do the following for this to work:

sudo mount --bind /tmp /media/mmc0p2/tmp

Last edited by daperl; 2009-03-29 at 20:44.

I'm using the command-line 'battery-status' (see above posts for details).

I shocked myself. Me and Google, we modded your demo to use battery-status. It works. But, like everything I do, it stinks of Hack.

I'll post a screenie in a sec..

UPDATE: Here it is:

UPDATE2: daperl, do you think there'd be any way to simply tweak Advanced Power to run in a non-maemo system tray?
Attached Files
File Type: tar batt-stat.tar (10.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-29 at 22:57. Reason: added screenshot

Oh, man, I knew it! You're a total sandbagger. I don't know why I'm even bothering but here's 3 links before I go:

Sandbagger handbooks 1, 2 and 3.

Also, I would change the 15000 to at least 60000.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian, lxde, replacement