Active Topics

Frankly, the only thing I am scared of is getting something like a WSOD later on this year. Nokia would probably offer me something like $50 in compensation...

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
The cynical among us saw this coming. As soon as the N800 was officially released, we heralded the end of the 770. Nokia tried to deny it, tried to assuage concerns, and some of us even bought it, but now it's official.
One word, Nokia: ouch.
I hope I'm not a cynic, but maybe they just wanted to take the heat off the launch of the N800. If all their users were mad about the 770 I don't know how many would immediately buy a 800 series - so why not drop a "small white" lie ?

I will surely not buy a N800 or N900 or Nxxx anytime soon, not until these problems have been tackled. I strongly suggest you do the same - not for the 770's OS or for my beliefs but for your own good - the same thread will be opened next spring with N800 in its title.

And if you cannot resist the temptation buy it from a friend or from somebody who doesn't use theirs - you'll get a good price and make a stand !

That's exactly what I've been doing since january :-)

Originally Posted by cucurigu View Post
I hope I'm not a cynic, but maybe they just wanted to take the heat off the launch of the N800. If all their users were mad about the 770 I don't know how many would immediately buy a 800 series - so why not drop a "small white" lie ?
That's exactly what happened, which makes it an offense against both existing 770 owners and new N800 owners that were counting on continued support (as was implied by their statements regarding the 770). Now, it is of course possible that N800 owners won't suffer the same fate, but they can't feel easier about the situation in light of this recent development.

Personally I think this is very disappointed news. I hope the iPhone of Apple will justice...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Texrat has also suggested Dr Jaksi's blog, but I'm doubtful about that, I think it's mostly a soapbox for him and the comments are overflowing with spam anyway.
It doesn't hurt to try, IMO. I have.

Probably won't matter that much...
I had 3 WSOD in 9 months, how long will those remaining 770's run?
Nokia, I'm not interested in your devices, any of them.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the newsgroup thread on this, but here it is:

gmane.comp.handhelds.maemo.dev (No more 770 bug activity?)

EDIT: send concerns to qa@maemo.org.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-04-05 at 19:50.

Originally Posted by daverup View Post
Probably won't matter that much...
I had 3 WSOD in 9 months, how long will those remaining 770's run?
Nokia, I'm not interested in your devices, any of them.
At least the physical warranty is sure . But just out of curiosity, I read about the WSOD and apparently it was a design flaw corrected in newer units (and I suppose repaired ones). How come you kept receiving unfixed ones ?

Average time in "Repair" about 1 month.
Each time in "Repair" screen replaced.
Last one left "Repair" 2/26/07, died this week, WSOD just like the others.
It's obviously a design flaw that Nokia has no intention of fixing permanently.
770 owners, prepare to be without your tablet, with or without warranty.