Notices

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Hi qwerty12, Thank you for your hard work. I know for sure, I will use this app quite a lot. Btw, while you are at it, can I request you to consider designing the GUI both for portrait and landscape modes.

I am not sure if a torrent app would be beneficial in portrait mode for many. But also, would it be very difficult to design it that way.

Infact, I would like to see any app being developed for fremantle consider both the modes, if that is not too much asking for!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
maemo4 is in the autobuilder and should be available soon in extras-devel.

Opening torrents from the browser should work again; it does do so, here, for me.

I've added a first-run warning warning the user of battery life and possible data charges.

I've also made MyDocs/Downloads the default folder for saving torrents, and it works for me. But FAT does have its limitations but there really isn't a better place for me.

@vkv.raju
Portrait would be good, indeed, but I do have to admit: it's not on the top of my list; I'm having a fun time getting it looking somewhat decent in landscape!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
A little late suggestion, is something like this doable ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi,

In the current version (1.73-5maemo0) I'm not able to paste a new tracker. I hit "add", new line starts but as soon as I try to select the "paste" it loses focus. Typing the address works.

Btw, I'm using the virtual keybord - N800.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
A little late suggestion, is something like this doable ?

Thanks for the mock-up, but:
In the vein of Modest, I - finally - settled on the following:

@Saturn

You really do not want to be using that version (1.73-5maemo0). It breaks uPnP (old libcurl) among other things and was a deciding factor in my shifting focus to Fremantle. Sorry. Although I think that bug in particular is a Maemo one...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
@Saturn

You really do not want to be using that version (1.73-5maemo0). It breaks uPnP (old libcurl) among other things and was a deciding factor in my shifting focus to Fremantle. Sorry. Although I think that bug in particular is a Maemo one...
Ahh yes, I have disabled uPnP the other day because I couldn't download anything.

Is there any version available for diablo you propose?

Thanks.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This comes from the long and actually relatively old now Transmission forum:

Interesting. Anybody has in mind to work on bringing Bittorrent to Fremantle?

A lightweight client very good in just a few use cases: responding to clicks in web pages, perhaps making search easy, perhaps making easy hosting seeds...

Very clever with power management and helping users to make the most of their wlan/data connections without making expensive mistakes.

Absolutely simple in the UI (yes, finger-friendly). Click link in web page, dialog appears, press ok. Search box, browser results, select. List of seeds with checkboxes for shareable/not shareable. Clear dialogs to define bandwith to share, policy for data connection, option for operate only when wlan is active and device is charging (e.g. while you sleep).

Oh, and imagine that lovely and cute desktop widget showing the % of the files you are downloading and giving access to the app itself.

What else? And how far would this be from what is available for the desktop or other mobile devices?

If someone is working in a similar line please share your thoughts. If you are good and determined you could even have a chance joining us in Copenhagen. There is also a GSoC aiming to integrate a Bittorrent plugin in Canola, perhaps that work could be reused? Nothing against Canola but it is possible that a lightweight Bittorrent client can have a demand in its own.

I would possibly be interested in starting a project for writing Qt-based BitTorrent client application. What I had in mind would be something in vein of KTorrent, although, considering the mobile environment, something more lightweight (as in "simple"). Qt would be interesting considering the future prospects of Maemo also..

In my opinion KTorrent has some interesting features, e.g. integrated torrent search (QtWebkit could achieve this?) and a Plasma desktop widget to observe torrent status.

As a backend, Libtorrent would be potential engine.

Last edited by lassileevi; 2009-10-12 at 07:47.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anybody having difficulties getting torrents to actually start downloading, or is it just because I'm choosing poorly-seeded torrents?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Anybody having difficulties getting torrents to actually start downloading, or is it just because I'm choosing poorly-seeded torrents?
It does download after a while (TPB torrents seem to be sucking for me), I promise you that, but it does currently lock up badly.

Is this app sitll in extras-devel? I did a search (from the sdk) and it didn't find it.

Tags
bittorrent, development, extras, fremantle