Active Topics

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
So much grief about android compatibility. I need this, unless someone is willing to port Lotus Notes Traveller, which i very much doubt. I would also like to use Sky Mobile and BBC iPlayer. These are the things I miss on my N9 and lead me to caryy around two phones at work.

Jolla need customers, offering Android app compatability will get them, and maybe enough to fund then next generation of Sailfish phones. It's all very well getting snooty about not needing android and how it is an outdated OS but if it provides the catalyst that will give the Jolla a mass appeal and not be dismissed by the popular press as having no apps, then it is a small price to pay. I don't want this device to be my 3rd phone in a row to be abandoned by its manufacturer.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Doesn't N9 suffer slowdowns due to swap? I mean few greedy webpages, open apps/IMs?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That would not fit my definition of the word geek. Specs are for clueless lusers, geeks care about capabilities.
Exactly. This is the reason why for example the megapixel race got all out of hand with digicam business. (and smartphone industry also, so sad that)

Getting a simple "spec" that can be reduced to a number is gold for the clueless masses who can have no understanding whatsoever about the real issues, It's so easy to believe that "16Mpix is better than 3Mpix"

The pixel count is so bad measurement for image quality it borders on insane, yet still it is used by some people to judge camera quality...

All of these factors relete to image quality more than MP count; sensor size, pixel area, sensor technology, backfocus length, DAC quality...
And all that is just for the sensor element! Far more what affects quality is the optical characteristics, which just cannot be reduced into simple mynbers!
God I hate the people who want simple numbers. It is so sad it makes me cry

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iceskateclog View Post
Doesn't N9 suffer slowdowns due to swap? I mean few greedy webpages, open apps/IMs?
N9 is slow due to cheap (and crappy / slow) flash. Not due to swap.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Originally Posted by iceskateclog View Post
I use my phone quite a lot and multitask pretty much all day, swap is used 3476 out of 262136, so it pretty much never swaps. I didn't see it swapping ever actually. It does slow down when you do multiple things at the same time, same as any multitasking OS in any computer really.

Regarding the crappy flash comment, I wouldn't know, didn't check the flash/don't know much about it. I suppose it can always be faster, especially on a 3 year old device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I use my phone quite a lot and multitask pretty much all day, swap is used 3476 out of 262136, so it pretty much never swaps. I didn't see it swapping ever actually. It does slow down when you do multiple things at the same time, same as any multitasking OS in any computer really.

Regarding the crappy flash comment, I wouldn't know, didn't check the flash/don't know much about it. I suppose it can always be faster, especially on a 3 year old device.
I also would point the finger at the CPU of course; but loading is always slow on the n9 (pdf and other office files are a good example)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Why do they have to use a Qualcomm chip? They could have used Mediatek's quad A7 at 1.2GHz and a SGX544. They should have increased the RAM to at least 1.5GB and a 720p display would have captured a larger market. The one thing that bugs me is the bezel. If they shrink that a bit it would have been a much prettier device.
We don't even know which CPU they're using. I guess the Snapdragon has 2xA8's. Mediatek has 4xA7. I'll take 2xA8 rather than 4xA7 any day.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I2C ram, I just ROFL'd my breakfast coffee out of my nose.
The number of "I2C ram devices" sold is 1000x the number of "X ram devices" (where X !=I2C) sold. So don't laugh.

Now, of course, if you were looking for DDR4 throughput...

Seriously, I2C is the right choice. Anything else would have been a power vampire.

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-09-20 at 09:13.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I said this awhile back. There was simply no way Jolla were ever going to be able to get the latest cutting edge hardware. To do that, they would have needed to have put in orders for millions of units to get the chips cheap enough. They were always going to be too small to do that.

The whole thing only underlines how much of a joke the Ubuntu phone was. Total vapourware.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So Jolla showed us their specs. Cool. What has changed in ex-Maemo/Harmattan team that will lead for them to be competitive? Can they code without major bugs? Can they truly deliver on this device? N9 had 1Gb of RAM and was not coded properly. The device was laggy and freezed. Convince me that the same people who coded Maemo and Harmattan can be competitive in current environment. The days of selling beta devices are OVER!